Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2013, 17:03   #226

Re: What Does the Name of Your Boat Say About You?

Banned from www.cruisersforum.com/forums/ - Page 2 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Owen, you can quit baiting these people
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 17:05   #227

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
A light shined in my life for 9 years.
Old 21-11-2013, 19:34   #228

Boat: HH55 Catamaran

We named our boat Let It Be because sometimes I have to remind my hubby to let those projects be so we can go explore/enjoy where we are. Also because while sailing there may be times when I am hoping 'Mother Mary comes to me.'
Plus it's nice when a dingy putters by and the occupants serenade us with The Beatles.
mgstich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 20:03   #229

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEGMa View Post
Wow...someone closed my intro thread....All overnight....
This one? >>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-115781.html
Old 21-11-2013, 20:25   #230
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Banyandah is an Australian aboriginal word meaning “home on the water” and was chosen from a book brought to our house by my first boss in Australia.

At that time my wife Judith had just given birth to Jason, our first child and was already pregnant with Jerome. So a “home on the water” seemed appropriate indeed.

Banyandah was backyard built in Sydney, construction beginning late 1970, we launched June of 1973. There is a detailed work diary around somewhere, but from memory she took about 10,000 hours to complete and cost $15,000 back then. Of course, as we built everything, and she had little gear, the costs were kept very low.

Between the years 1974 and 1987, the Four J’s, as we became known, sailed well over a hundred thousand miles! Banyandah crossed four of the five oceans and provided living quarters for our family while visiting more than 80 countries around the world.

In 1990, we craned her from the water then lived aboard her on our front lawn while we built our first land-based house. During the next 16 years, she was totally gutted, sandblasted, and totally rebuilt with all new systems, and then re-launched in 2005.

Since 2007, Jack and Jude, now retirees with 9 grandchildren circumnavigated Australia, went around Tasmania at least three times, crossed the southern ocean under Australia another three times and are now halfway around Australia a second time, having logged more than another 25,000 miles in our homemade ship. There are a number of photos online detailing her construction and rebuild.

Here's a video of her new rig sailing the Coral Sea

Old 21-11-2013, 20:26   #231

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

As a young man I had the joy of studying Anthropology and working at Archaeology. I studied the Haida who live in an area that is now part of British Columbia. Reading their mythology, my favorite tales were: When Raven (or Yelth) stole the Sun, and How Sedna became Mother of the Sea Mammals. I though Yelth would be difficult to understand over VHF, so Sedna it is.
Old 22-11-2013, 11:35   #232

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

smeg·ma noun \ˈsmeg-mə\ (Medical Dictionary)
Medical Definition of SMEGMA

: the secretion of a sebaceous gland; specifically : the cheesy sebaceous matter that collects between the glans penis and the foreskin or around the clitoris and labia minora

For a boat name.

Surely you troll.
Old 22-11-2013, 12:20   #233

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Cretin!
Too much detail. .
There goes breakfast.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 14:13   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
DAS BOOT,
which of course is German for The Boat, most American Rednecks look confused when they see it, but the few Germans that have give themselves away by laughing. Not as nearly deep thinking or pretty like most names, but I finally just gave up and named it The Boat as that's what we call it anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 14:23   #235

Boat: 18' Custom racer - flat bottom, chined sides w bow sprit

Wild Bill.
Named after my grandpa, who was as wild as they come.
MattBraySails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 15:20   #236

Oosik. Heard it in Alaska and liked the sound.
Baxzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 15:24   #237

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxzac View Post
Oosik. Heard it in Alaska and liked the sound.
Yeah! That would be a good name for a boat. 'Penis bone'
Old 26-11-2013, 21:28   #238

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Present one is "High Five". Bought her with the name but I liked it. When my new one comes in next year it will be called “Sailin Somewhere” That's so when the inevitable freeloaders come looking for me the Marina can just say they're out sailing somewhere. LOL We also listen to Margaritaville a lot.
Old 26-11-2013, 22:32   #239

Boat: Freedom 38

The old name of my boat was Touch of Grey. It's a morose Grateful Dead song and she had not been well taken care of in the past few years, so it was also a poor metaphor of her condition. The new name is Kynntana, which means "star" in Malagasy. It was also my mother's stage name in Paris, where she was a contortionist, and as an aerialist in American circuses. She came to this country at 22 and did an act called the Iron Jaw. She's one tough lady.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 00:38   #240
Marine Service Provider

The name of our boat says "Flying Cloud"

If it says anything about us, it says we value History.

Our boat was built in 1937 for Francis Brownell jr. At that time he was President of First National Bank of Seattle, and Chairman of the Board of ASARCO, which represented the Guggenheim's family interest in the West.

Flying Cloud was the 3rd yacht commissioned by Brownell, his 2nd was named Flying Fish, his first was a sailboat of which we have been unable to determine the name. Flying Cloud and Flying Fish, are/were Stink Pots.

The Brownell family hailed from Boston. Francis Brownell's grandfather was Captain of the the original Mckay's "Flying Cloud" during WWI, when it was commandeered for the war effort.

Our "Flying Cloud" was commandeered from Brownell in 1940, just 3 years after she was built, for the WWII war effort. Brownell himself was drafted into war service by the Executive Branch(the President of the USA) as the Monatary ZAR on Silver Bullion, in an attempt to Bankrupt the Hitler Regiem.

Our 'Flying Cloud' served as an inshore patrol in the USCG from April 1940, she was renamed CG1313, of the 13th Navel District. November of 1940 she was transferred to the USN and outfitted with a 50 cal. Standing Gun on her Bow, and Sonar in her Wheel House, and 2 racks of 300lb depth charges on her stern. She served as a sub-chaser based in Anacortes, Washington, patrolling the Eastern Straight of Juan de Fuca, with a 6 man USN crew.

She was decommissioned in May 1945, and sold at Auction. She became a research vessel, and renamed "Researcher" purchased by the Lyle Branchflower Co. Whom developed the fish live oil business, to render vitamin A, and E for the continued war effort. She has been as far south as San Francisco, and as far North as Dutch Harbor. She remained in service as a research vessel for Branchflower until 1964. Where she traveled annually between Seattle, Bellingham, and Ketchikan.

After Branchflowers 1969 death and estate sale, she became "Elizibeth ANN" for 2 short years, was re-sold and renamed Researcher, then Grande by the owner we purchased her from 2001.

During my pre-purchase survey I was able to locate an original 6 page editorial in the April 1937 Pacific Motor Boat Magazine, describing the build of Flying Cloud. A trip to National Archives confirmed her Designer/Builder Ed Monk Sr./Grandy Ship yards.

Upon closing of the sale in 2001, and USCG documentation, we re-christened her "Flying Cloud"

We began her restoration of Ship and History.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypink View Post
What does the name of your boat say about you? Do you name it yourself or just keep the name it came with? And if you name it yourself how do you pick a name? Favourite place / dream / person, combined names.

What is the name of your boat and what does it say about you

i would love to hear your thoughts and ideas
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle