Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What do you REALLY think of your marina?
Greatest marina EVER! 13 22.81%
Could be better, but I'm content. 26 45.61%
Not exactly happy, but I'm dealing. 10 17.54%
I hate them! If I could, I'd move on the hook tomorrow. 3 5.26%
What's a marina? I cut the lines a long time ago, and avoid them like the plague. 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 13:00   #1
Marine Service Provider

What Do You REALLY Think of Your Marina ?

Let me preface this by saying, I don't complain, I don't have unreasonable demands, I don't make a mess, leave garbage around, etc. for others to clean up, and I pay my bills on time.

Yet, I've been a live aboard for less than a year, 3 different marinas, and each one is actually worse than the last. I've ****ing had it with marinas. Without going into great detail, between the 3 of them I've experienced:

Theft (twice, at 2 of them, both so called secure), turning the heat WAY down inside the marina (to the point that you need to wear a coat inside), extremely over priced for pretty much nothing more than a parking spot, dirty disgusting bathrooms that make your average gas station look like the Waldorf, complaining about people using the so called amenities that we're paying for, and just a general uncomfortable atmosphere. I even have a neighbor who's one of the friendliest, most soft spoken, nicest people you'll ever meet say that she feels unwelcome.

I realize some of these things may seem stupid to complain about, but for what these places are charging at the very least not running out of TP in the bathroom would be a nice start.

I was just curious what people really think, and how many live aboards really live on the hook vs. at a marina. And how many would be on the hook right now if they could be. Regardless of weather you're cruising or not.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 13:14   #2

Boat: Bristol 34
Couldn't be happier with my marina. Great owner, great facilities, great neighbors. A bargain at $250 a month (water, electricity, bathroom, wifi, security cameras online, ect.). Move to Florida!!
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 13:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Rover, that is the plan. Great neighbors here too by the way. It's just the marinas themselves, and the greedy milk every penny out of you that they can owners who I'm sick of.

Let's add broken off piling at the water line inside my slip, that wasn't fixed before I was supposed to move in to that list. Even after it was pointed out to them, I still had to pull teeth to get them to do anything about it.
Old 18-02-2010, 13:43   #4

When I hear stories like this I'm always amazed at what some marinas get away with charging. And like you say - for the most part they offer little more than a parking space!!

My parents live at an RV resort near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The place is absolutely amazing - with beautiful tropical yards, and outdoor kitchens with each space. The resort itself has pools, laundry, rest rooms, beach (amazing beach)...and they pay $500.00 per month.

I guess there must be more to marina maintenance that one might imagine?
DesertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 13:58   #5
Marine Service Provider

The first one, where I bought the boat in Florida, was at least reasonably priced, the staff was all very nice, the place was pretty clean, and well taken care of, and a great atmosphere. just not too happy about being robbed.

I was actually thinking of hauling out there to get some work done, once I get to FL, but now I'm hearing there are new owners, and you're no longer allowed to live on your boat in the yard.
Old 18-02-2010, 14:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I like my marina. It used to need new docks and needed to be dredged. All that was done a few years ago and I am quite happy. The harbormaster is a great guy as well as the people who work for him. My neighbors are quite nice as well. My boat has never been broken into and the price per foot is nine dollars per month, which is a fair price for this area.

Life is Good.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 14:10   #7
Marine Service Provider

I know someone who was in the marina next door to me over the summer. I'm pretty sure his boat barely left the slip all summer, because the dredging that the owner said would happen before he moved in still hadn't when happened when he moved out.
Old 18-02-2010, 14:27   #8

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
There are many marinas in Florida that do not allow liveaboards either. And some if they do charge an outrageous additlional Liveaboard fee. We happened to have found one in the SW Fl area now, where we currently are, not sure for how long, that does not charge an exorbitant fee. It is a VERY nice marina, and we are happy here! The one we were at in Central Florida sounds like what you have described to a TEE! I would be interested to know where Rover88 is docked in Ft Walton. Lived on land there for 20yrs and the 2 summers we stayed on our boat in that area, didn't find that kind of "nice".
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 16:44   #9
Marine Service Provider

The place I'm talking about does allow liveaboards, just not in the work yard?
Old 18-02-2010, 18:45   #10

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Kinston is King

I'm in Kingston Wa. We have a great Marina, very casual. I don't live aboard but there a a few on my dock. As far as I know, you don't pay extra for liveaboard status, my 36 foot slip is about 190/mo. +elec. The showers are free, and clean. Parking is included for 1 car. The slips are in great shape and there is a park at the top of the ramp where in the summer months you get live music on the weekends as well as the farmers market every sat. from may to sept. I haven't heard of any theft to speak of and from your slip to open water is only about 50yds. I'm lovin it! Opps I think that's copywrited.
Old 18-02-2010, 19:23   #11
Marine Service Provider

Since it keeps coming up...I haven't paid a live aboard fee at any of these marinas, but at least one of them just the slip fees in general were ridiculous for a place that wasn't really that nice and was giving you not much more than a parking space.
Old 18-02-2010, 19:46   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
We're at a marina where the pump-out system is built into the docks. Every Wednesday the dock attendant pumps out our holding tanks at no additional charge.

I kinda like that.
Old 18-02-2010, 20:02   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Damn that is nice! And Fred ... 190 a month!!! Well, I love my slip. Great neighbors, the gulf islands out my companionway and reasonably protected. I don't get a lot for the money I suppose but the experience is good. About 450 for a 41.5 including hydro and water. Live aboard is not official but allowed.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 20:33   #14

Worth every cent. My marina is new, guarded, clean and FREE. Seriously, nobody pays for anything but electricty. Hard to beat that.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 20:51   #15

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Well this is only the 2nd marina I have been in. The first with our norsea 27 was in Bradenton Florida. Was a great marina. Clean, nice pool, great resturant. Slips were good. Lit well. Protected.
Been in the Corpus Christi Municipal Marina now for 1.5 years. Have had a few problems. The residents here are cool. They do allow live a boards now, but only a few. It cost extra. The new docks are nice, floating. 30 amp and 50 amp service. Pump out at the dock, but you pay 5 bucks per pump out and have to schedule it in advance, but mostly same day.
Marina staff are mixed. Some rude, some incompetent, some very good. They are losing boats by the dozens, so they seem to try a bit harder now. A LOT of empty slips.
The old docks are a mess. Fixed. Splintered. Poor lighting. But you pay a bit less.
No pool, unless you want to join the yacht club, assuming you could get a invite. There are two yacht clubs. One is easy to get into, if you like that sorta thing.
The view out of my compainon way hatch is very nice.
I live 5 min away.
Guess I'm staying.
Cost about 300 /month for a 50 foot slip I think. I pay by the year.

Bob