Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 21:42   #1

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
What Do You Miss the Most? What Do You Like the Most?

So let's assume that you've bought a boat, divested yourself of most of your land based stuff and you're living aboard full time and cruising (no matter how slowly).
What possessions are you the most glad you got rid of and which do you most regret letting go?
What did you keep and wish it was gone, and what are your favorite things that you bought or kept that you're the most happy with?
I guess what I'm asking is what's the best crap to get gone? I don't and won't have an unlimited budget, nothing close. I don't have a 3 million dollar portfolio and I don't think one is in the mail, so I don't want to keep a bunch of things that are expensive to own or store. Should I keep a car when I'm gone? I have a couple of classic Porsches that I've built over several years with my own hands, every bit of mechanical, paint, electrical, everything. I can't decide...
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:27   #2

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Interesting question and very personal. You talked about cruising 'however slowly'and that's relevant because if you are not travelling far, your land based stuff can come with you - get the train back and drive your car twenty miles along the coast. But if you're going a lon way that's not so practical.

We don't miss a car, a telephone landline, lots of clothes (though we have always had to have corporate workwear cos still running a business). Our art collection and books were the hardest - and the art colleciton is fostered amongst friends and we visit it sometimes! Pip makes silver jewellery and would like a large workshop to tow behind us for use in flat water .... We don't miss glass, china, TV, any specific landbase (just bought a house as the market's collapsed).

We made a very conscious decision not to pay for storage, but had nothing like a handbuilt car to miss. Do you have a friend with a space where you could leave them under cover, and decide in a year or so whether you really miss them, or indeed don't take to cruising and want to move back ashore?
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:07   #3

When we have decided to live most of the year on the boat we have bought a very small apartment and we are very happy with our new living 8months on the boat and 4 months home. We will keep the apartment also for the time we would be unable once to sail any more.

We have sold our car, we do not miss it at all: Vienna has one of the best public transport systems in the world.

What we miss on the boat life: As we enjoy to go to classical music concerts we miss the possibility once in while on the boat, however for this we are looking forward to back home for some time.
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:42   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
When I moved aboard for the first time back in the 70s one of the things that went was my collection of blues records. Only thing I really regret.
If I had some restored Porsches I would figure out a way to keep at least one. Hey they will probably only increase in value anyway. As far as regular cars buy something beat up and reliable. When you take off lend it to a cruiser who's not ready to go and let him use/maintain it 'till you get back.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 16:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We've lived aboard for close to forty years; I don't think we really understand the question; we don't own a car (a porsche is a car, right?). Our children moved off the boat,- it's a joy, but we still get to see them when we cruise by,- no regrets! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 17:23   #6

Boat: Beneteau 393
From the admiral:

Miss the most- photographs/wedding album, nice pots and pans.

Like the most- Corelle dishes, kayaks, misc outdoor stuff.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 23:15   #7

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I lived on a project trimaran from 12-10 years ago, (it's still project, just not mine anymore) the thing I most remember loving after my return to a square walled stationary home was the HUUUUUGE refrigerator and a washer and drier.
I still miss the views out on the mooring, the joys of an uncomplicated domocile, and taking a hot shower in the cockpit on a foggy night. And I miss the sleeping. I still don't ever sleep worth a crap on land. And I miss the storms, they were cool. Not too scary when you have a 3000# block of concrete under 10' of sand and 3 1" ropes holding you, just enjoyable and interesting.
I don't miss the damned otters banging clams on the bottom every night between 11:00pm & 3:00 am and I don't miss carrying water.
Most of all I miss sitting in the cockpit with my toddler watching sea life rather than cartoons.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 01:51   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I live aboard 7 months a year and what i miss during that time is family --and having my hands /feet in the soil planting/growing things,
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 07:16   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
so I don't want to keep a bunch of things that are expensive to own or store. Should I keep a car when I'm gone? I have a couple of classic Porsches that I've built over several years with my own hands, every bit of mechanical, paint, electrical, everything. I can't decide...

I have lived overseas and managed expats for over 20 years. One of the benefits is free storage. Many people who spend a significant amount of time overseas are shocked to find out is what useless stuff they stored. Even if it is free.

Bottom line is keep non-depreciating assets that will outpace the cost of storage. Classic cars probably fall in that category. Alternately sell the cars (and anything else) and put the money in a "special account" called - my coming home mad money.

The other thing I would keep are family heirlooms and anything that you eventually want to pass on to the kids.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 09:47   #10

Boat: Newport 30
What I miss the most is the washer/dryer on the back porch..miss the least? house payments.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 10:03   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I miss having a fireplace in the living room, and a wood lot out back where I can split rounds.
Old 17-12-2009, 09:48   #12

Boat: 1978 46' PaceMaker MotorYacht
Send a message via AIM to Sea Ghost
I just crossed my 6th month aniversity of living aboard, but only have about 30 miles of "cruising" as I live in the marina in DC. Moving from my large apartment to my 46' boat was quit the experience, and I'm still trying to get rid of some of my land items, such as my computer, printers, electric fireplace, large amount of photography equipment, etc. ect. I did manage to keep the 52' LCD TV, and yes I do have Cable.

The one thing I miss / dislike the most is the size of my doorways, and the creative and not so creative way to get larger items into the boat. Example, one of the first things I bought was a two person couch only using the "I'm sure it'll fit" measurement (rookie mistake). Got it to the boat and quickly found out, that it doesn't fit in the doorway, nor through large window. So, I had to take it out to the parking lot, take it apart peice by peice and reassemble it back in the boat. Now I know the exact dementions something requires to be when I buy it.

One of the best things I got rid of was the dependence on the internet. I only use my computer for writing, and the occational online class I can't do at work. I have found that I am more productive without checking my email every day. The other thing I enjoy is my hot water heater has only 10 gallons so my morning routine was been cut in half because my showers are now less than 5 minutes.
Sea Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 16:16   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
I miss the paycheck.
Open ended life plan I like.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 16:47   #14

Boat: 1984 CS 36
we just made the switch a few months ago, so this is all pretty new to me. however, i've found that i really don't miss any of the stuff i thought i would.

with the exception of the sentimental things (we put a lot of photo albums in storage with family members), it's all just an anchor keeping you on land. if it doesn't belong on the boat, you don't need it.

i'm amazed at how easy it is to live without "stuff". let it all go, and you'll be happier for it.
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 20:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post

with the exception of the sentimental things (we put a lot of photo albums in storage with family members), it's all just an anchor keeping you on land. if it doesn't belong on the boat, you don't need it.
Switched to digital around 1997 and started a scanning campaign last year. With 8 brothers and sisters a lot of photo collections got dispersed.

I have a nice selection going back to the parents and grandparents in the 1920's all digital now. It's about 20gb now and I keep multiple back ups on multiple hard drives.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote