Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2009, 21:54   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i miss nothing land based ..... i gave my heirloom stuff to my sister and her husband and i ran like hell away from land...LOL......AND i even had my sports cars for a few years--LOL gotta know how to do it--i do NOT do marinas...LOL----btw--i have lived on board boats since so cal....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:51   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
........--i do NOT do marinas...LOL.........
What does it mean to "not do marinas" in Southern California? We are East Coast cruisers and we do spend some time at various marinas from Maine to the Bahamas although we more frequently anchor. Do you avoid them completely?...if so, why? 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 19:58   #18

Boat: Maine Cat 38
I'm also starting a minimizing campaign, there are places to deal with photos and music somewhat affordably. I used ScanCafe for all my non-digital photos as well as slides and negatives from my parents. I'm a big music fan, so am about to send my 400 CDs off to ripstyles to be converted to flac/mp3. I'm doing a fair job of scanning paperwork as it comes in so it doesn't accumulate, but still have 2 storage bins of old files.

10 years ago I moved from a house in the suburbs to an apt in the city. I had to make some rules to deal with a house and two car garage full....anything that wasn't a tool, memento, music, or book had to go. When the transition to a boat comes, the books will have to go, music and most mementos will be electronic.

Between craigslist and ebay one can part with other items of value and have a hope of replacing them if ever needed.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 10:45   #19

Boat: 1984 CS 36
has anyone figured out a good way to digitize movies?
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 11:15   #20

Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s
Interesting topic.

I cruised and lived aboard for about 3 - 4 years in various situations from active offshore sailing, coastal cruising, live aboard in a marina and island hopping in the tropics. That was 15 years ago so things have changed.

At the time, and this may still apply... I missed access to live "high art/culture". As I age I enjoy seeing live performance of opera, ballet, plays, concerts, museums, and other perfomance. These things are less accessible except if you are parked close to a major metro area cultural center.

I certainly don't care about clothes, so there's not much to miss there.

I found I met more people and had more social interactions, although they were mostly other sailors... so it was a narrower range of people.

I did miss the convenience of personal transportation, regardless of where I was. I supposed I was spoiled in being able to go where I want when I want without hassle. Public transport is great in urban areas and so this is not an issue. But that kinda limits cruising. Bikes are easier as a land based person than a live aboard cruiser. Bikes are good for all sorts of reasons.

Laundry is more a hassle on boats, so I miss the convenience that land base live offers. But with less laundry this becomes less of a problem.

Don't watch much TV, but am addicted the internet for information. I would need that on some level, it wasn't mature when I was living aboard so I didn't miss it.

Love to get rid of all the junk we accumulate... so living aboard solves that one nicely. Most of my "art" is small and can be sent off to others to enjoy.

With the advent of digital media there's no need to miss music, movies and so forth. Now you can take it all with you.

I like the self sufficiency of living aboard... which mimics owning a home. I lived in rental apartments, lofts and so forth so moving aboard meets that need.

I miss food options as I get bored with the same cuisine all the time... and this includes restaurants as well as marketing, produce etc.

there's more.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 11:31   #21

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
has anyone figured out a good way to digitize movies?
DVD Decrypter is old but you can still find it on the web. I've also heard about something called HandBrake, but haven't used it. I believe there are a number of other programs out there free and for pay that you can use to backup your video library. The movie industry tries to shut these guys down to stop piracy but for those people that are just trying to backup or make the video library compact, there is a legitimate use.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 09:43   #22

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
A lot fewer regrets that I expected, that is cool.

sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: