Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2009, 21:54   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i miss nothing land based ..... i gave my heirloom stuff to my sister and her husband and i ran like hell away from land...LOL......AND i even had my sports cars for a few years--LOL gotta know how to do it--i do NOT do marinas...LOL----btw--i have lived on board boats since 1990...in so cal....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:51   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
........--i do NOT do marinas...LOL.........
What does it mean to "not do marinas" in Southern California? We are East Coast cruisers and we do spend some time at various marinas from Maine to the Bahamas although we more frequently anchor. Do you avoid them completely?...if so, why? 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 19:58   #18

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
I'm also starting a minimizing campaign, there are places to deal with photos and music somewhat affordably. I used ScanCafe for all my non-digital photos as well as slides and negatives from my parents. I'm a big music fan, so am about to send my 400 CDs off to ripstyles to be converted to flac/mp3. I'm doing a fair job of scanning paperwork as it comes in so it doesn't accumulate, but still have 2 storage bins of old files.

10 years ago I moved from a house in the suburbs to an apt in the city. I had to make some rules to deal with a house and two car garage full....anything that wasn't a tool, memento, music, or book had to go. When the transition to a boat comes, the books will have to go, music and most mementos will be electronic.

Between craigslist and ebay one can part with other items of value and have a hope of replacing them if ever needed.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 10:45   #19

Boat: 1984 CS 36
has anyone figured out a good way to digitize movies?
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 11:15   #20

Interesting topic.

I cruised and lived aboard for about 3 - 4 years in various situations from active offshore sailing, coastal cruising, live aboard in a marina and island hopping in the tropics. That was 15 years ago so things have changed.

At the time, and this may still apply... I missed access to live "high art/culture". As I age I enjoy seeing live performance of opera, ballet, plays, concerts, museums, and other perfomance. These things are less accessible except if you are parked close to a major metro area cultural center.

I certainly don't care about clothes, so there's not much to miss there.

I found I met more people and had more social interactions, although they were mostly other sailors... so it was a narrower range of people.

I did miss the convenience of personal transportation, regardless of where I was. I supposed I was spoiled in being able to go where I want when I want without hassle. Public transport is great in urban areas and so this is not an issue. But that kinda limits cruising. Bikes are easier as a land based person than a live aboard cruiser. Bikes are good for all sorts of reasons.

Laundry is more a hassle on boats, so I miss the convenience that land base live offers. But with less laundry this becomes less of a problem.

Don't watch much TV, but am addicted the internet for information. I would need that on some level, it wasn't mature when I was living aboard so I didn't miss it.

Love to get rid of all the junk we accumulate... so living aboard solves that one nicely. Most of my "art" is small and can be sent off to others to enjoy.

With the advent of digital media there's no need to miss music, movies and so forth. Now you can take it all with you.

I like the self sufficiency of living aboard... which mimics owning a home. I lived in rental apartments, lofts and so forth so moving aboard meets that need.

I miss food options as I get bored with the same cuisine all the time... and this includes restaurants as well as marketing, produce etc.

there's more.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 11:31   #21

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
has anyone figured out a good way to digitize movies?
DVD Decrypter is old but you can still find it on the web. I've also heard about something called HandBrake, but haven't used it. I believe there are a number of other programs out there free and for pay that you can use to backup your video library. The movie industry tries to shut these guys down to stop piracy but for those people that are just trying to backup or make the video library compact, there is a legitimate use.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 09:43   #22

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
A lot fewer regrets that I expected, that is cool.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2023, 18:43   #23

Boat: Without a boat at this time
Re: What Do You Miss the Most? What Do You Like the Most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I live aboard 7 months a year and what i miss during that time is family --and having my hands /feet in the soil planting/growing things,
No living on a boat yet but your words are encouraging.The only family I have is my brother (no kids) and I haven't talked to him in 25 years and I can't grow anything for s**t .
Old 15-10-2023, 19:00   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Do You Miss the Most? What Do You Like the Most?

Dead thread walking...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2023, 19:39   #25

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Where do these one posters find these threads? Bots?
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2023, 20:07   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Where do these one posters find these threads? Bots?
Good question!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2023, 20:48   #27

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

My Burgman 650
Got that bike exactly how I wanted it and enjoyed riding every day and then this bloody boat forced herself upon me.

Oh dear, zombie post.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2023, 21:03   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

1994 - kids moved out. Within two weeks we sold the house as is ... 8,000sq.ft. stone barn built in 1832 completely finished in period pine furniture, we had turned it into a house. "As is" included smaller barn with 1956 chev, 1964 Jag mkII, 61' MGA, Triumph Daytona 500, Triumph Bonneville 650, Triumph Bonneville 750 and a fully equipped wood shop and spray booth ... We took our clothes, family photos and moved on board ... Haven't missed a thing. What a wonderful sense of freedom we felt as we looked in the rear view mirror.
Now 29 years later we still love that feeling of freedom.
Old 15-10-2023, 22:43   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This question was asked a long time ago, in roughly 1990, so 30+ among a group of American and Canadian women in Opua, NZ-- so it was all ocean crossers. We were mostly a mixed bag. One lady singlehander, some middle income professionals, and one couple in which the husband bragged on his $35 million, which was worth a lot more then than now. Most of the missing stuff comments were about foodstuffs: peanut butter, maple syrup, and the ilk. But the multi-millionaire's wife said, "My maids."

We started cruising a long time ago, and for us, we missed fresh meats and veggies, and fruit. We were better at eating canned fruit than veg, and there was little canned meat to our taste. We learned how to deal with it better over time.

Of what we kept that we should have given away, we had nothing like the OP's hand restored Porsches, and saved stuff for some time--university text books, and things my mother had given me, mostly, that came from my deceased grandmother. Later, I handed off those things to my daughter, and my daughters-in law, one Christmas time, and some very special items, later turned over to my daughter and her daughter. The text books wound up in the dumpster.

We fell into the storage trap, and among the silly things we saved was a half full tin of bottom paint. Less silly, but made silly by the passage of time were slides, slide projector, and screen.

Ann
Old 16-10-2023, 03:55   #30

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

A good zombie thread that deserves new life.

*mountains/hiking
*land showers
*being part of a community (other than online)
*seeing family/friends
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote