Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2010, 06:36   #46

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
It is a really poor picture from when we first looked at purchasing the boat, but this is our workshop. It is located on the port side "walk thru" area. It has great access to the engine and the best ventalation in the boat. With my huband being a mechanic, I just knew this boat was going to be ours when I found out it had a dedicated workshop.

And yes, I agree:
1. showers/baths
2. laundry
3. yard for dog

Hmmmm- you think a bathtub would fit into that workroom?
just kidding, really, OK maybe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010352.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	18544  

Old 19-08-2010, 07:07   #47

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Totally specific to me, but I miss having

Haskel Gas Booster, K tanks of helium and o2, digital mixing whips, dive compressor

Kreitler rollers for my road bike

reliable fast internet

Old 19-08-2010, 07:37   #48

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Yahoo to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
dive gear? are you serious?

That is the no#1 item(s) on my take-aboard list. Tri-Mix and PP blending tools, gear bag and compressor (oh, and dont forget extra filters).

I missed the local 7-11 because it was close to the house and any forgotten last minute items were only a short walk away.

I won't miss the IRS.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:19   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
dishwasher
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 09:28   #50

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
That is the no#1 item(s) on my take-aboard list. Tri-Mix and PP blending tools, gear bag and compressor (oh, and dont forget extra filters).
hate to say it but we are looking at rebreathers now, since the weight requirements are so high for the type of diving we like to do with traditional gear, and we are multihull geeks.
Old 19-08-2010, 16:37   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Live mermaid, lobster etc...

You haven't lived until you've met your first mermaid, lobster friends, etc...

Ok, well it was in the 60's and I do remember them, sure I do.

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 18:17   #52

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
No, You won't miss the IRS! You still have to file, even if you make no money!!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 20:22   #53

Boat: Cibert, TitŠn 25
Well, I moved to my small boat last July 8th. The first week or so, it was really hard. I'm tall, so I missed some space to move freely without the need of folding myself...and the next morning to wake up realising that my head had bruises and my legs too... but after that terrible first week I found a feeling of peace that makes me very happy. Now I am beginning to enjoy this life. I miss my library, indeed. I've got a few books here but I had a lot of books I loved. And I got used to live without a fridge some time before I moved to the boat, so i don't miss that. Eventhough a friend of mine will install a small fridge that i can use while in the marina.
Here is not usual to live aboard, but I've got some neighbors, nice people, so I don't feel too much lonely.
And soon I will be sailing a lot so I guess there would be many things and feelings in my head, and no room enough to miss past stuff.
Among the nice things I've got here, there is a bathroom (not in my boat but in the place my boat stays at) and this wifi, so i can even keep in touch with the people and work through the web. So I can get long hot showers...hahaha
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 22:58   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
jetexas--i have a formosa 41--the forepeak is to be a tool room and workshop....
having lived aboard since 1990--i miss absolutely NOTHING!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 07:07   #55

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
I think it would be interesting if this was two string, one cannot always tell from profile. Same question asked to cruisers and another string for liveaboards. two are completely different categories.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:06   #56
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
REAL toliet paper!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 11:58   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I think it would be interesting if this was two string, one cannot always tell from profile. Same question asked to cruisers and another string for liveaboards. two are completely different categories.

i moved on board in 1990. back then it -living aboard--was considered pre cruising training and prep. what happened to that?? is still a decent way to do it. therefore shouldnt be any difference in provisioning or anything between living aboard and cruising. i do same same while cruising as i do living aboard--i found over time the folks practicing and prepping were denegrated by others--isnt cool to do that--alleged cruisers are just living aboard under sail. not in a stationary place. of course there are the live aboards who dont go anywhere at all--but most were merely prepping for a cruise.
the categories are NOT separate nor are they different unless that is your own mindset.
as for toilet paper--i only use charmin extra tough and mega rolls--i keep a plastic bag for the trash next to the head for the paper. if you put it into my toilet--YOU get to fix it. i REFUSE to have the melt in your hand junk in my boat--is a useless item. there is no room in my boat for anything that doesnt work.even my kat works!! he stands guard watch on board and lets me know when someone is arriving. and for any changes on board. he is a gooood kat.
so, you see, there is no room on board for anything not functioning, like that nasty melty paper..eeewwww.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:50   #58

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
"therefore shouldnt be any difference in provisioning or anything between living aboard and cruising"

There is a great deal of difference! One thing I miss terribly is a common item always avail in the USA. When you are without grocery stores for weeks on end and only have so much room for provisions etc......

I just meant that things you miss once outside of the USA is different it was not meant to get you upset.
Old 24-08-2010, 15:33   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i amnot upset--lol--just enjoying watching and adding some thoughts--outside of US--i miss nothing--there is nothing to miss--i livein sin diego bay when i am not cruising--and we get all from military flights allday long overhead to dropping helos out of the sky into the bay and jumpers off the bridge--there aint no fun like this, me friend!!!
my aircard works in all areas in which us mail is deliverable--including us territories and such--and mexico--and where it doesnt reach, i dont need to use internets as there is soo much to see and do when cruising. foods--i buy local. most enjoyable . i donot miss the noisey beaches when i am gone, i donot miss traffic..i donot m iss anything from here when i go cruising--i have with me what i need.
when i buy foodstuffs, is like provisioning for a trip, yes, as i donot change my style for travel. no need. is all here. i can stash a year's worth of foodstuff in my boat if i put my mind to it, but for what?/ there is a stop not that far off--- i usually try to keep a month's supply of foods on board. when i cruise, is 2 weeks to month, depending on what boat i am on, and how much fits in it. i am spoiled with my boat--is a formosa 41 with loads of room.
Old 12-09-2010, 15:01   #60

Boat: Chris Craft Constellation 55', TARA, Holman and Pye, 46' custom cutter, Me Voy
I miss a BATHTUB!

DogOnBoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: