Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2008, 23:56   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I spose we miss something every day in some weird way or another.

Today it was: "our space to have our house where we want it". We wanted to move an extra 10 meters or so in a defined anchorage so we would be inside the 'lines' of that anchorage. We picked up the pick and moved the requisite few inches and some guy jumped his face out of the hatch and said: "YOU'LL BE TOO CLOSE TO ME. I HAVE HAD PEOPLE DRAG ONTO ME. I'VE BEEN CRUISING FOR A LONG TIME...."

I don't think you get that sort of attitude on land. Cruising we all think we have some god given right to sit in a bay with no other people like its our own individual paradise and then feel our day is ruined because another yacht hoves into view.

We must all realise what we are trying to achieve and remember to be courteous. Its not Broadway so why pretend it is?

As if Nicolle is warented to have that sort of abuse!

Rant out!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 07:12   #17

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
cat owners and dickheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
..snips
moved the requisite few inches and some guy jumped his face out of the hatch and said: "YOU'LL BE TOO CLOSE TO ME. I HAVE HAD PEOPLE DRAG ONTO ME. I'VE BEEN CRUISING FOR A LONG TIME...."
i dunno about that last quoted sentence, i actually replied to some blokes rant on that vein on this forum a few weeks ago only to find it was deleted by the censors. the reality is cruising for a long time doesnt mean a pinch when mooring in a "strange" harbour. and you never read stories of a feudal dimwit moving his castle beside someone else's underpants factory... hmm differenet slicks... maybe...

i get folk in their megacats come along and moor near me, they especially peeve me no end when they drop their pick, start their noisy genset and go ashore and leave it running, not caring about the ambience they have just destroyed. and less importantly no caring that they have moored at high tide on the bank of a creek or over a reef, both of which would be obvious had they hung around another few hours or looked at their instruments or charts.

a few weeks ago one cat owner did it, i went ashore an hour later, noticed they guy getting his legs and said " you would do yourself a favour if you went back to your boat for the day and got the lay of the land during low tide (tides were normal springs 0.5 - 7.4m on that day), you have an hour before the tide goes out too far (1.8m) for you not to get back to your boat" he didnt it got swamped when it's outboard engines stuck in the mangrove mud, the next day he moved it over the reef and wondered why the rocks holed it, ...didnt look.

several days later another cat owner was moored nearby, had come aboard a friend's boat and said where can i stay for the wet season, we discussed several possible spots and i told him "dont go up there near me", the dickhead did, (on a day i was at work) whilst he was doing it he damaged one hull of a another aluminium megacat and bent the screws in the neck of the lady living onboard. they were really pisse doff that he missed my little mono-hull altogether. they did get several thousand dollars cash off the dickhead to repair their hull damage and a stat-dec that he had also caused her severe spinal damage..

yesterday a tree came floating in on the tide, i shouted to one cat owner the tree was coming, he went out briefly, pulling them on, looked, said "no worries" it will miss by 3feet... i had a look a few minutes later, it had wrapped itself around his tender. he poked and prodded and pushed it off, straght onto another cat a few hundred feet upstream. i shouted out to that guy, he ambled up poked and prodded with an oar got it off his ropes and it then tore into his rubber ducky.

now i'm not saying all cat owners are dickheads, but i'll happily say all the ones i've met are and if you live in a neighborhood of landlubber dickheads you know you can usually have a bbq, a drink, enjoy your music or have a sleep knowing they wont destroy your home...
bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 07:21   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Dickheads come in all sizes, and styles of boats. We cat owners aren't the sole owners of being rude.:cubalibre........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 07:36   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
fireplace

i used to have a woodlot on the side of the house, and spend at least 30 minutes a day splitting firewood. I'd burn through, on average, five cords of wood every year. I miss the entire process, but most especially the fires.
Old 29-12-2008, 19:37   #20

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Yeah but then think about the ashes you had to haul, the sparks, the smoke you inhaled, and the dirt it brought into your house....

I don't live aboard yet, but when I am on my boat, I miss the head room a house has, and the space. I have a big house and a 40' boat. I love them both, but live for the day I sell the house and go on a sailabout.
I plan on bringing most of my luxuries with me like fresh roasted coffee, a laptop, and plenty to read, a chess board, and lots of time to just think.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 11:50   #21

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Paychecks
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 17:00   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
Paychecks

Ha..Ha...good one

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 17:34   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
Paychecks
LOL

But not what it takes to get em I bet.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 18:27   #24
cruiser

Cruising hot tropical countries? Projects . In Baja or Fanning in winter, doing projects is comfortable and I can putter on projects all day, never setting foot ashore, and go to bed at night as happy as a clam. In hot countries , the minute you start something you start to sweat and it's no longer enjoyable. You also miss the sources of cheap readily available bits and pieces for your projects. You start thinking "Gee , if I was back home I could buy a piece of scrap stainless and finish that project in minutes ". After bashing into tradewinds from Tonga to 38 north I woke up in light westerlies . The tools , projects , fishing gear , etc came out , and I flew at it, happier than I'd been in along time. "Patience my ass, I'm gonna make something."
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 20:37   #25

Boat: Silverton 453
I can't imagine living in a house again. We have extended family in our friends at the marina. It has been a tough couple of weeks with the marina being frozen and a foot of snow falling on us. Now high winds are predicted.... So we brushed the snow off the canvas, turned on the TV, and did a check of our generator. In the summer time, often have potlucks on the party dock, and will always have someone rafted up to us when out on the hook. For us, living aboard fits our very social life style; but I know we have a few hermits around that don't seem to do just fine too.

That said, our boat has a washing machine, a bathtub, and plenty of hot water for long showers.

You can't be into having tons of "stuff". When I want to change things (candles, pictures, shoes, etc...), it is out with the old and in with the new.

I rather wash the boat, then mow grass. I rather work on the shower sump, then weed.

If done right, you don't have to miss anything!
Unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 17:46   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I've no idea what I am missing! I did live in my parent's house until I was seventeen. I did live in a fraternity house in college. I never lived in a house as an adult. I moved aboard in my early 20's and I'm now in my early 60's. 'someday I'll be docked at the assisted living marina! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:24   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
What I miss:

Its been nearly 1 year cruising Muslim countires. What I miss is good music radio.
I am here trying to tune the tranny to a music station... they just done exist. Its getting factionally better here in turkey, but I can't wait till Western Europe!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:01   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What I miss:

Its been nearly 1 year cruising Muslim countires. What I miss is good music radio.
I am here trying to tune the tranny to a music station... they just done exist. Its getting factionally better here in turkey, but I can't wait till Western Europe!!

That's why Allah invented iPods
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
long, hot showers
a good freezer
a bit cooler in the cabin
cheap, effecive laundry facilities
unlimited water
family
Old 09-06-2010, 12:47   #30

Boat: Tartan 37 - Sea Bungalow
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaBungalow
Baths

#1 Baths
#2 Long hot showers
#3 Washer/Dryer

Funny how our top 3 all have to do with water, and we're surrounded by it.

#4 Being able to keep frozen food frozen
#5 Ordering take-out - though I am getting better and making everything we used to pay others to make.
SeaBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote