Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2007, 05:24   #1

What do you do while your out there??

My wife and I are both 40, we have a 9 yr old daughter. Our plan is to cut the lines within 1- 1 1/2 yrs. After the sale of our house we should be able to buy a boat and live comfortably for several years.
However, as romantic as "sailing of into the sunset" sounds to us, we both know we would be bored to tears in about a week if we don't have "something" to do....plus I don't want my kid being raised thinking that lounging on a boat is worthwhile work.

So, we were thinking about some type of charity or church related endeavor. We found a couple in the SPacific who founded a group called
Pacific Yacht Ministries(Pacific Yacht Ministries). They organize medical/dental care for local folks, and that care is provided by American Dr's who stay on cruisng folks boats. To me that seems like a worthy endeavor.

I'm curious if any of you have participated in similar charitable type activities and if you have any ideas for us. Our goal is not to make $, although that wouldn't be bad, as we should be able to get by with our own funds. We need to find something to keep our mind sharp.
Old 18-01-2007, 05:54   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
"I don't want my kid being raised thinking that lounging on a boat is worthwhile work."

You may be in for a very rude awakening. When you’re out there, you stay very busy. Unless you go to one spot and stay for long periods, you won’t do much lounging on the boat. Route planning, passage making, navigating, maintenance and repair, etc. become full time jobs.

The kids we meet that live aboard cruising vessels are among the best educated, courteous, and adventurous kids we meet.

There are many cruisers who do useful charity work, trying to leave each place they visit better for there presence. I applaud that. Just letting a doctor live on your boat for a while, doesn’t sound very consuming.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 06:01   #3

I realize that the cruising lifestyle is not all roses. It's a lot of hard work in itself.

The "doctor" thing is a good bit more involved than just opening up your boat to a passer-by. You have to work with various health ministries, medical companies, shipping companies, etc.
Old 18-01-2007, 09:37   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
we both know we would be bored to tears in about a week if we don't have "something" to do....
Wrong, you will not be bored, always something to do.
If I am caught up on cleaning, maintenance and other chores, I sit back and read a good book, or go snorkeling, or dink riding, or something...Always something to do.
Old 18-01-2007, 10:00   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanomark
we both know we would be bored to tears in about a week if we don't have "something" to do....plus I don't want my kid being raised thinking that lounging on a boat is worthwhile work.
Don't worry you'll have lots to do. Home schooling, boat maintenance, lugging water , trying to get parts for the watermaker, sleeping after staying up all night at anchor, planning supper (this starts early in the morning), cleaning the bottom, arranging the day's excursion, talking to your friends.

As stated earlier boat kids are about the best kids you'll ever meet. Eventually they and you will realize lounging on a boat is worthwhile work.

If you want to be involved in volunteer or charitable work there's lots to go around. It'll depend on your area of cruising but if you've got lots of storage on your boat it wouldn't hurt to start collecting balls and bats, old eyeglasses, books and writing materials for those less fortunate kids you'll meet. Visit the local schools or churches, they'll be glad for you help.