Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2010, 07:05   #16

Here are a couple that are close to us. Would love to here thoughts about these boats. The second one is a little smaller that I would like but what a price.

1984 Pearson 422 sailboat for sale in Texas

HSH Yacht Sales (Kemah, TX)&
jamiecrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 07:30   #17

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecrab View Post
Retirement is right around the corner. The desire is to sail the Keys and Bahamas. I will have around $60,000.00 to spend on a boat and then an income of $2,000.00 per month to live on.

Can we afford a nice boat and make it with this?

Depends entirely on what expenses you need to pull out of the $2,000/ month. It's never what you make, it's what you get to keep that matters.

Is that after tax money? no house? no car? no credit card debt? etc..
Living on the hook? or in marinas? Health insurance? Boat insurance?

If you are totally debt free, spend more time on the hook than in a marina then I would think $2,000 month would be ok.
Old 15-10-2010, 07:40   #18

Get to keep amount is about 2100 per month. Only bills will be boat insurance and cell phone. Already have the house on the market. Will do a rental until then. Will not owe a dime to anyone!! Feels good! If we take our time and shop wisely, we should have a nice little nest egg even after buying the boat.
Old 15-10-2010, 07:43   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
60k budget, spend 30-40 on the boat leaving 20-30k for refitting and emergencies. For the area you want to sail, try for a 5ft or less draft and maybe a mast height that will let you go under the 55ft bridges on the Florida west coast.
Spot on and if I had to choose one, then this is the US equivalent of what we have and personally think its ideal for a couple and a good compromise between manageability and cost.

1988 Ericson 32-200 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The purchase price once the haggling is over will leave sufficient in the kitty to make any upgrades you want and provide a refit fund in the years to come.

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 07:47   #20

Not a spring chicken but still, I am only 47 years old and very active and in good health. With a smoking hot wife of 39 to travel with!!
Old 15-10-2010, 08:34   #21

I could postpone retirement five more years and have about 100,000 but I just don't want to wait that long!!
Old 15-10-2010, 08:35   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41
If there is one thing I wish I had listened to when I bought my boat it would be -- Don't buy anything for the boat until you have sailed her for a year. Everyone has a different idea of what you "need" on a sailboat but everyone has a different style of sailing. Take care of all of the deferred maintenance first and then look at how you use the boat and then see what "toys" you are goingto really need.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:12   #23

Boat: columbia 28,Kokopelli
my thinking on Formosa,,,lots a teak is OK if you live aboard,BUT if you gotta spends weeks away and barely time to sail,,,,,all the pretty wood is a PAIN N da ARSE...but I was once a Airplane enthusiast also and US older guys liked Taildraggers and I have noticed US olders guys ,in the sailing world Love the PIRATE SHIP look,,,arrrrrrrrgh..thus Formosa fits the Bill perfectly.....im just saying...
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:14   #24

Boat: columbia 28,Kokopelli
PS this is workday weekend at Blackbeards Sailing Club located near New Bern NC, and I gotta go nail down some dock boards.....sailing vessel KOKOPELLI,......C dock 17
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:29   #25
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Be sure to buy the boat in plenty of time before you set sail, so you have plenty of time to make it how your wife likes it!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 14:22   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Generally, the older the boat, the more money you may have to put into it. For a 25-30 year old boat, 50% of the purchase price isn't excessive, and for that amount of money, unless the boat's exactly what you want, the major systems are less than 10 years old, and the survey turns out nothing of concern, about all you'll get is an older boat with new systems.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, and I too, am looking at almost the same numbers as yours. In my case, a 1980+ boat will cost me around $80,000 (boat, taxes, surveys, yard time, fixing/replacing systems and components, and getting everything shipshape). To me, that means a boat that costs me around $50K.
Old 15-10-2010, 15:18   #27

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
You asked for opinions on the boats in your post #16. I don't like the Hunter. Dirty and untended: looks like a money pit to me. The Pearson "still needs cometics" - usually means a lot of money to upgrade.

The broker you refer to, HSH, has several nice looking boats under $60,000 including: Tayana 37; Alberg 37 Yawl; Pearson 365. IMHO any of these boats is a more likely candidate in your price range. There's also a great looking Morgan 41 for about $80,000 (asking price) if you can scrape up a bit more coin. Good luck.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 16:07   #28
cruiser

Cost me $6K to get my boat sailing and I can cruise on $200 a month. Semi retired in my mid 20's
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 16:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

$60k will buy you a very nice older smaller cruising boat, but you will still need $20k to $30k to fix it up, upgrade things, and buy equipment. That is actually a sweet spot in the price range of sailboats, I think, where there is a lot on offer, and possibly a buyer's market for boats in that price range in the U.S.

$30k is harder (still older, still smaller) but possible.
That's pretty much what we did. Bought our boat for $58K, and have spent ~$20K-$30K (over several years) to refit and build out. A lot of things need to be replaced on a 36 year old boat (but suprisingly not so much, at the same time).

The nice thing is that while that money was being spent the boat's been our home and we've done a lot of sailing on it. It's not hard to make $30K in a few years time (in addition to the $2K you have every month for expenses). It's roughly a few hundred a month on average which is sometimes just like that, and sometimes saving up (or paying off) big repairs or big items.

But it's completely do-able.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 16:53   #30

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
VirtualVagabond
I would have sworn he had 160K posted until I went back and cleaned my screen. Thanks for catching my screw up..
... if only all problems could be fixed that easily!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote