Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 22:06   #1

Wharf at Clear Lake Marina - Thinking of buying a slip

I'm close to pulling the trigger and buying a live aboard slip at the Wharf in Clear lake but before I did I thought I would ask here and see what you guys and galls thoughts about the marina both good and bad.

I know it has some issues with deep draft boats when the wind pushes the tide out on winter days and its not a first class marina but seems stable.

But aside from that is there any big issues why I shouldn't buy there?
SeaBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 22:36   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Wharf at Clear Lake Marina - Thinking of buying a slip

Assuming it's in the states, which state? CA, TX, IN, or IA?
Old 11-02-2013, 23:14   #3

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
It is in League City Texas USA at the far west end of Clear Lake.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 23:22   #4

Boat: Moody 42

Well....I have not mored a boat there, but the Wharf would not be on my list of places to be. Docks are old, fixed piers with narrow finger piers, and very high this time of year. The condo's there are nice though and the marina may be kept up ok. I know there are some live a boards there, but I can't comment on the people there. Draft will be a problem as well. There are many much nicer places to be, although I know the price may be right at the Wharf. Are you buying the slip?
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 00:07   #5

Yes looking at buying the slip. I'm ok with the high docks and condition of the place overall. I know it's not a first class marina and I'm ok with that.

My main concerns with the Wharf is, is it financial stable and if they have any theft problems.
Old 12-02-2013, 00:18   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Two year old info:

They did not fair well in hurricane IKE many boats were found miles away in the marsh field. I'll try to find the pic of my friends boat. Had to use a hellicopter. I was surprised bby the loss of boats, she seems well tucked in there, but the Hilton Hotel marina right across the way lost it's entire marina of boats, they may of cause the wharf boats to sink and fly the coop.

The people who live aboard and up in the condos that surround the marina were very nice, a bit rough, not thugs, just a little rough around the edges ( those sort hold a soft spot in my heart ).

Winter sailing, unless they dredged, and THAT would be a miracle. winter is pretty much lock down for anything over 5, iffy around 4, can still bunp at three ft before making it to the channel. The docks are old as previously stated. Northerns hit hard as she is fairly open to the north if I remember correctly. You can always run to South Shore if a big storm hits, they are the closest and are well prepared, although some of their new docks seem vulnerable to storm surge.
Having said that I lived there for a year when she was the jewel of the lake. I liked it because it was a close, tight community, like it's own little world. but like most condos/marinas they fell into disrepair.I keep saying condo because there is no real marina office that I ever saw, paid the landlady.

Two years ago they were having a theft problem,not sure about the financial stability.
Have you talked to the folks on the dock? Like I said, very friendly bunch, especially if you bring beer, then you are friends for life

Hope that helps
Erika
Old 12-02-2013, 01:11   #7

Thanks Ericka for the info.

As far as hurricanes go some people have had same info as you and some have said the place is a real hurricane hole and great place to weather the storm. But from the amount of empty slips it looks like its not the best hurricane spot.

When I walked through there I only bumped into one live aboard and he didn't know about the draft situation because he never left the dock.

I agree about the the kinda rough around the edges people. I grew up at the Galveston Yacht basin in the 80s and 90s. I watched it go from the neat place with people of all types with friendly dock parties to a place where the yuppies took over and didn't want to be friends with anyone and would raise cane over the smallest things.

The Wharf does kinda have that friendly rough around the edges but solid feel to it.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04   #8

Boat: Bayliner 3988 MY

I own my slip here in Toronto and I know the Wharf in Clear lake as well as my daughter lives nearby and the Admirals sister is minutes away from there in League City.
My slip here has doubled in value in the 8 years I have owned it. I bought two in the first offering and sold one last year so my current net cost is zero.
Our condo fees and property taxes are less than half of what the marina next to me charges for annual rentals.
If you have good access for your boat and are in it for the long haul you are further ahead owning than renting.

As far as the Condo Corp goes you need to check out their financials and make that a condition of purchase in your agreement so you can back out if there is any red flags.

WSMA, Clear Lake

Look for low reserve funds and find out if there are any contemplated future large assessments to the owners for dock replacement or dredging.
Sometimes these are not a bad thing if most of the money comes from reserves and the assessment is small as it also raises the value of your slip/investment.

Do your homework and make your call based on knowledge and you will be fine.

Long term slip ownership in a properly run dockominium can be profitable.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:53   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alden Cheoy Lee 32 MS

@ Ocean Girl ... I'm not sure where you're getting your "IKE" information from ... are you sure we're talking about the same wharf? I own a 55' slip in the liveaboard section of the wharf and had my boat there during Ike. Short version...hardly suffered a scratch (just some rub rash on the rail) and the same was true for most of the other boats that were lucky enough to be in wharf at that time. The rest of Clear Lake (and Galveston) was indeed a disaster. The adjacent condos were trashed and had to be evacuated for several months but they did serve as a useful windbreak for the boats in their slips.
As for draft, my boat draws 4.5' and I would sit calmly embedded in soft muck during a winter north wind, as much of Galveston bay would be blown out to sea. If you feel like daysailing during the winter months you'll need a flexible schedule.

I never had any issues with theft during the two years I was living there and didn't hear of any from neighbors. My wife and I enjoyed living there very much (walk to Starbucks!) and never had any problems with the people there (we like to mind our own business). @ Sea Buffalo ... good luck with your decision
conde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:59   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Ive known the warf since the 90s, lived on a boat for a while there when Kemah was a one horse town( a Bristol 29.9 Island Gypsy). When west marine was right there For IKE, my boat ( CD30) was over at watergate, my friend Scott had his over at the Warf, Scott the fireman? Ya know him? I did indeed see the Warf after IKE, and there was vessels "missing", that were there before. One couple I ran into ( we were both in dinghies) were looking for their boat, it was gone. We were all pretty shell shocked, not trying to dramatize the damage. I'm glad the Warf faired better than I thought. Glad your boat came out ok. Since you rode out the storm in the marina, you would know best. I should of mentioned that the docks, which were showing their age, did well, I did not think they would. If my memory serves me it was the boats at the end, near the channel that broke loose, which is why I thought the Hilton boats might of took them out.
Yes, most of clear lake was devastated except for south shore, Waterford, portofino, couple others. Not sure about legend point, can't remember.

As far as theft, 2-3 years ago a boat that was kicked out of watergate, moved over to the Warf, this is around the time the thefts started( wasn't the boat owner but friends). That is what I was referring to. I believe it was some VHFs and such. That info IS second hand, But I know the boat, and since watergate had the same issues until the said boat left, I believed it.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, sorry if I have my facts wrong, it's not intentional, it's what I remember
Cheers,
Erika
Old 15-02-2013, 09:41   #11

Well the admiral didn't like the wharf and the fact they wouldn't let me see a copy of their meeting minutes or financial status has made me decide to pass on buying a slip there.

Now we are looking at the Portofino Marina down the street and wonder if anyone here has any experience with them.
Old 15-02-2013, 09:46   #12

I know a few people over there, including one couple that owns their slip. I've not heard anything bad about Portofino. I would probably lease a slip there except they don't allow satellite dishes to be installed on the docks. Being a live aboard, I want my TV and don't wish to spend a fortune on an onboard dish. Other than that, I think it's one of the best marinas around....Good security, nice pool, floating docks, easy access to the bay. One thing I've heard is the area of the marina to the east of the parking lot might be a problem as there may be depth issues due to a near by pipeline. I don't know details, but I would avoid that side of the marina.
Old 15-02-2013, 10:59   #13

The east side with docks G thru L is where I was looking at. It seems much less congested and easier to get in and out.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:33   #14

That is the side to avoid. Shallow water especially in winter. Last I heard they had a law suit against the pipeline company, but don't know where it stands. I don't think they are allowed to dredge on that side. There's the reason there aren't many boats on that side. There has been a slip for sale advertised on Craigs list for some time.
Old 15-02-2013, 14:47   #15

Yea I saw the slip for rent on Craigslist that's way up in the very front of the marina by the gate. But was looking at something on J dock closer to bag.

Do you know any specifics on the pipeline deal because I really like that side of marine. Seems so much more quiet and peaceful.

But anymore details would be great.

Tags
buying