Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 22:09   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: We're on a boat!! Cept we need internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Did you not look at my link? Technology is moving forward in this area like most others, it is now much more affordable for quality broadband-like internet by satellite at sea. Coverage is already most of the world. Check out the link, you don't need to rely on sat phone and cell. And I have all of the above. Get Tracphone V-7 for the latest solution. 2 Mbps ain't bad for internet anywhere. Beats the hell out of Iridium's 10-20 Kbps.
Interesting ...

Could you give us an idea of cost?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:16   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

It's in the link. Mini-V-Sat Broadband runs around .99c per Mb right now. An Inmarsat phone will take forever and cost over $30 to transmit the same amount of data. Phone time is also cheaper on mini V-Sat.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:36   #18

Boat: Leopard 42
Did I miss something? It looks like $500/mo to lease equipment!
MotuIti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:42   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Apparently these toads don't have a clue about this instant classic

I'm on a boat motherf*cker take a look at me
Straight flowing on a boat on the deep blue sea
Busting five knots, wind whipping out my coat
You can't stop me motherf*cker cause I'm on a boat

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:52   #20

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
It's in the link. Mini-V-Sat Broadband runs around .99c per Mb right now. An Inmarsat phone will take forever and cost over $30 to transmit the same amount of data. Phone time is also cheaper on mini V-Sat.
Yeah, that looks pretty reasonable but what is the cost of the equipment? I did not see that on the link
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 00:19   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

There seems to be 2 options for the equipment...$6K and $15K. You would either need Internet really bad or be stupid rich.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 09:38   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There seems to be 2 options for the equipment...$6K and $15K. You would either need Internet really bad or be stupid rich.

Don't know if the OP is stupid rich or not, but he did say he needs internet really bad. I would think 15k would be cheap if it allows him to work while cruising, but I guess we all have different definitions of "stupid rich". Seems to me the real kicker would be, does his work require him to transmit large amounts of data? At $1000 for a Gigabyte of info transmitted, that could cost a great deal more than the equipment if he needs to send video back and forth or anything like that. Good internet in the middle of the ocean doesn't come cheap (although it is much cheaper and better than it was even a couple of years ago).
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 10:01   #23

Quote:
Did you not look at my link? Technology is moving forward in this area like most others, it is now much more affordable for quality broadband-like internet by satellite at sea. Coverage is already most of the world. Check out the link, you don't need to rely on sat phone and cell. And I have all of the above. Get Tracphone V-7 for the latest solution. 2 Mbps ain't bad for internet anywhere. Beats the hell out of Iridium's 10-20 Kbps.

Do you mind me asking what you typically pay per month for the V-7? Start up costs versus average monthly? It has to be done either way, I've just heard anywhere from $500 - $2,000 USD per month to run a system like this with high start up costs for the equipment. Thanks for the links!
FlippyFloppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 10:06   #24

Quote:
Don't know if the OP is stupid rich or not, but he did say he needs internet really bad. I would think 15k would be cheap if it allows him to work while cruising, but I guess we all have different definitions of "stupid rich". Seems to me the real kicker would be, does his work require him to transmit large amounts of data? At $1000 for a Gigabyte of info transmitted, that could cost a great deal more than the equipment if he needs to send video back and forth or anything like that. Good internet in the middle of the ocean doesn't come cheap (although it is much cheaper and better than it was even a couple of years ago).

My work is mainly on the phone and emailing pdf files. I could send the pdf files when I am leaching off of the many wifi spots though I suppose. I sell steel, so after I talk to a prospect, they are simply waiting to receive an estimate from me that they can order from if they choose. I can always set their expectations that they will be receiving a quote from our estimating in 3-4 days, which is code for "I'm on a boat m'fer don't you ever forget!!"

Great input, I really appreciate all of you taking the time to fill me in on stuff you already know so much about!
Old 21-07-2012, 10:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We set out with the same questions and have come to realise that when cruising between islands one will always find a hotel or resort broadcasting Wifi... you mention Antigua and Jolly Harbour as a place to slip the boat ... we got the fastest and most reliable internet connection right around the corner in Five Island Harbour, Hermitage Bay. The hotel makes it freely available over the bay. Here in the BVI's we have found some good spots such as Deadmans Bay - Peter Island who also make internet feely available over the bay.
We use Iridium Sat Ph for emailing text messages when doing ocean crossings, Local 4G cards for banking which we purchase on the various islands and mostly surf, post pics etc. using our Ubiquity Bullet to pick up free hotspots.
Personally I think its just a matter of time before the technology will be AFFORDABLY available to be 'wired' from the boat viz satellite or other

When you make phone calls, is it very clear? Do you think if you were pretending to be in an office in Texas, that they would possibly suspect you were in the middle of the ocean? Take away outside noises (I have a fantastic noise cancelling mic that I would want to hook up if possible) but I'd be concerned that the reception or static would put me at a disadvantage.
Old 21-07-2012, 18:07   #26

We are up against the same thing as the OP. My husbands job demands Internet and lots of it. It is this job that allows us to afford this new lifestyle of live aboard. We are working on it now. I do know that the initial equipment will be in the 15k range. We are not "stupid" wealthy. This is just what it is going to take. No way around it. I am still wondering what it will cost on a monthly basis. The system is supposed to supply is with satellite for phone, TV and Internet. Will have more info in the next couple of days and will post anything new that I learn. Very expensive but worth it, for us.
Suzybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 18:09   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I know if the signal is at least 50%, my Skype work very well. Rarely a dropped call. I apologize to minaret for the "stupid rich" comment. It's a term that is loosely used here in Ca., especially with a few of my mega buck friends. On a couple of WiFi threads, I picked up this link Marine WiFi Systems
It's more down my alley. Maybe this will help. I have little desire to have Internet while passage making.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 17:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzybro View Post
We are up against the same thing as the OP. My husbands job demands Internet and lots of it. It is this job that allows us to afford this new lifestyle of live aboard. We are working on it now. I do know that the initial equipment will be in the 15k range. We are not "stupid" wealthy. This is just what it is going to take. No way around it. I am still wondering what it will cost on a monthly basis. The system is supposed to supply is with satellite for phone, TV and Internet. Will have more info in the next couple of days and will post anything new that I learn. Very expensive but worth it, for us.

I totally agree, it's the cost of doing business. If 15k is the bottom dollar to set up a reliable internet connection at sea, then it is what it is. I'm so ignorant to this technology, I initially expected it to be no different than setting up my home account haha..

I 've requested quotes from KHV, Sea-Tel, and Inmarsat dealers. I'll let you know what the set up is going to cost for each. 15k is a lot of money, but I look at it as a cover charge to the most bad ass club on Earth, so easy decision for me!! We just might be eating beanie weenies and spamwiches for a few months, nbd...
Old 27-07-2012, 18:19   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have great success with a Wilson cellular repeater.... 20+ miles from shore.
Old 27-07-2012, 18:22   #30

Boat: private yacht always moving

Wireless Internet At Sea – Made Easy! | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, internet, reliability, satellite phone, wifi