Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2012, 04:09   #61

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser
She's going to be on Oxygen, sp that tethers us to land, for now. It'not going to be a permanent feature, the Drs tell me. Maybe another year or less. Meante, there are daysails and weekenders.

Her Drs are ordering a highly portable concentrator. It can run on it's battwry pack about 12 hrs and I can recharge it with a gennie.

"Dum vivimus, vivamus! -- 'While we live, let us live!"-Heinlein (Among others)
My Refit and Travel Blog
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 04:48   #62

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '
Sorry, phone is acting up, not my fingers on this tiny board. Tom, I am glad she is doing better. It was really hot in the yard, and she did look uncomfortable. She will adjust to the heat after a while.

You can look forward to sailing rather than studying in the cold. Fair winds.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 04:56   #63

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Re: We Started The Adventure

Simply awesome! Good for you!

mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:27   #64

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: We Started The Adventure

Originally Posted by Sunchaser View Post
Right before we were going to leave Port A, Texas I stepped off the boat and shattered my ankle. I ended up being in first a long leg cast and then a short leg from Sept until December. Watching me get on and off the boat was a spectator sport. That said: We met some incredible sailing friends, found a slip in Rockport, Texas that we have kept for the last 16 years no matter where we are, and were better prepared when we actually threw the lines.
Lessons Learned:
With sailing patience in truly a virtue. Never make plans that can't be changed. With cruising there is no hurry. (when we came back to the states after cruising for the first 8 months we couldn't believe how rushed everyone was) The ocean will be there calling you in a month or 6 months. When you are trying to fix anything, anyone who might help you with parts etc is on island time.
I am sending healing thoughts to your wife and thoughts of patience to your mind and heart.
I love your posts, Nellie. Seems like the two of you really know what the cruising life is all about and have found a wonderful way to manage it. Your words are always kind and helpful.

Tom, I am hoping for a very speedy recovery for your wife. I sounds to me like you are not the type of people to be deterred easily. You will be out there soon. In the meantime, take care of each other and with the extra time to work on the boat you will be even better prepared when you do leave.

The very best to you, and congratulations on the very large steps you have already made toward making your dream a reality.

Preparing for the journey south, Fall 2016.
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: