Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 13:24   #76
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
Awesome!! Enjoy that feeling
Thanks, we are.
__________________

__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 17:07   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wa, Vancouver
Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit
Posts: 60
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Hi folks, my wife and I are new here. We have made the decision to make a lifestyle change. By the end of next year we want to travel to the USA/Caribbean from the UK and buy a yacht. We will be looking at 44ft upwards and are willing to pay up to $100 000.00.

I have crewed on yachts and completed one 7 day Ocean sail before but have never owned a yacht or "lived aboard". I am hoping to get some sound advice and tips on this forum so please feel free to respond with anything sensible

Would we be able to find a comfortable cruiser for the price I have stated and will we find something with good ocean going capabilities and equipment for that sort of price?

Thanks for your time.
Don't regret what you buy, buy a hunter 42 or 45, amazing fancy boat for 100k or under. Here is a video tour link, BTW they are famous for being fancy, roomy and having lots of storage



i highly recomend the hunter
__________________

__________________
chucklet321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 18:51   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Boat: Columbia 41
Posts: 522
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Try "Voyaging on a Small Income" by Annie Hill. She and her husband have lived most of their adult lives on boats of very modest size while on a very modest income. She claims 1,850 per year will support two people (at least it did in 1995). Her book lays out in detail a strategy for living on a shoe string. The trick, as I read it, is to be able to do almost everything yourself with your own two hands...and be a vegetarian.
__________________
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 00:54   #79
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklet321 View Post
Don't regret what you buy, buy a hunter 42 or 45, amazing fancy boat for 100k or under. Here is a video tour link, BTW they are famous for being fancy, roomy and having lots of storage



i highly recomend the hunter
Thanks very much for that. Yes, I agree that the Hunter is a very nice boat. It was one of those I had on my initial list of boats we would be interested in. A few people though, including my own brother-in-law, who is a current yacht owner having owned 4 yachts and very knowledgeable, has advised me that Hunters have a notoriously soft deck? This has made me very wary and it is something that remains a concern for me. I have also read a little that Hunter have been taken over by a reputable boat builder (can't remember the details), and they alluded to quality control issues with the last owners of the Hunter design?

Perhaps you can enlighten me a little more?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:00   #80
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Try "Voyaging on a Small Income" by Annie Hill. She and her husband have lived most of their adult lives on boats of very modest size while on a very modest income. She claims 1,850 per year will support two people (at least it did in 1995). Her book lays out in detail a strategy for living on a shoe string. The trick, as I read it, is to be able to do almost everything yourself with your own two hands...and be a vegetarian.
Thanks for that tip ... I have a major problem with being a vegetarian ... I am South African (and British), and South Africans are absolute meat lovers and I am no exception lol. Now as far as being able to do everything with my own two hands ... that will come in time. I guess that means I am doomed (for now) to paying into a bottomless pit?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18   #81
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK
Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design
Posts: 58
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

We made the lifestyle change you're planning back in 2001, after building a 38ft custom-designed wood-epoxy sailboat in the UK. We think it's a good size for 2 people, and it's just less than 12m, the length at which marina and boatyard prices seem to take an upward hike. Our route took us to France, Spain, Portugal, Porto Santo (Madeira), Tenerife (Canary Islands) and then across the Atlantic to the West Indies.
Many liveaboards sit out the hurricane season in one of the hurricane holes, but after being given a serious smack by hurricane Ivan in 2005, we now lay up Alacazam ashore in either Grenada (Spice Island Marine) or Antigua (Jolly Harbour) and return to the UK July-through-October to top up the cruising fund. Whatever you do make sure you have hurricane insurance cover. We use Pantaenius who looked after us extremely well in our Ivan claim. There's some liveaboard tips here that may be of interest to you.
It's a great life; you'll love it.
__________________
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:50   #82
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Angry Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by demacsea View Post
We made the lifestyle change you're planning back in 2001, after building a 38ft custom-designed wood-epoxy sailboat in the UK. We think it's a good size for 2 people, and it's just less than 12m, the length at which marina and boatyard prices seem to take an upward hike. Our route took us to France, Spain, Portugal, Porto Santo (Madeira), Tenerife (Canary Islands) and then across the Atlantic to the West Indies.
Many liveaboards sit out the hurricane season in one of the hurricane holes, but after being given a serious smack by hurricane Ivan in 2005, we now lay up Alacazam ashore in either Grenada (Spice Island Marine) or Antigua (Jolly Harbour) and return to the UK July-through-October to top up the cruising fund. Whatever you do make sure you have hurricane insurance cover. We use Pantaenius who looked after us extremely well in our Ivan claim. There's some liveaboard tips here that may be of interest to you.
It's a great life; you'll love it.
Thanks very much for some good advice there. We are really looking forward to this and are working hard at getting rid of the ratrace clutter that we have hoarded for too many years. It's an exciting time, albeit a little apprehensive time. We are both rearing to go and just wish we could get going NOW!!!

When it comes to insurance, I guess one of the major factors is the value of the boat (obviously other factors come into play too). Does the size of boat play a factor? I know that sailing experience will also be a major factor. I just don't know how much we would need to budget for insurance for a 44ft boat with all the bells and whistles. We intend looking for a boat up to about $100 000.00.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:06   #83
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK
Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design
Posts: 58
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Yes, your insurance premium will depend on the size and value of the boat, the experience (and number on an ocean passage) of your crew, and your cruising area.
You may struggle a little to get a 44ft cruising boat 'with all the bells and whistles' for $100k, but you might get lucky. Whatever you do, get a thorough survey done by a professional surveyor before you part with any cash.
__________________
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20   #84
Registered User
 
Sumner's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SE Utah
Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Posts: 370
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by demacsea View Post
Yes, your insurance premium will depend on the size and value of the boat, the experience (and number on an ocean passage) of your crew, and your cruising area.
You may struggle a little to get a 44ft cruising boat 'with all the bells and whistles' for $100k, but you might get lucky. Whatever you do, get a thorough survey done by a professional surveyor before you part with any cash.
We found that insurance was a lot higher than what we thought it would be. We got a couple quotes on the Endeavour that were in the $2500 a year range with a large deductible and this was for a boat priced in the mid 30K's and 37' long. Reasons given were our lack of time on a larger boat and its location (Florida--potential hurricanes). We ended up getting just liability insurance for a couple hundred so we are covered if we damage someone else. So now I watch the 'hurricane tracker' even though we don't live in Florida but the boat does.

I along with probably the OP would like info if anyone has tips on insurance that might be less.

Also I thought Demacsea had a good suggestion on boat length and if you are still interested in Florida waters there is another thread going on about the areas in the Keys that you can and can't venture into with a larger boat ....

Cruising the Florida Keys

You give up a lot there with a deep keel and/or a tall mast. Mainly confined to the Atlantic side with few and/or poor anchorages. I would think the same would hold for the Bahamas. One person mentioned shoal draft 44's and I've looked some and about as shoal draft as I've seen is 5 1/2 feet. Anyone have suggestions on 40+ foot boats with a 5 foot or less draft?

Congrats on moving on towards your goals,

Sum

--------------------------------------------
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33   #85
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

As with most boat's the advertised draft is not always what the true draft will be. For example, my Beneteau 400 states a draft of 5.5 ft but it is really 4.5 ft. I have measured it while out of the water with the keel on the ground and up to the water line. I am sure that how heavy you have it loaded down will also make a differance but I don't think it would be a full ft differance.
__________________
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:55   #86
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
We found that insurance was a lot higher than what we thought it would be. We got a couple quotes on the Endeavour that were in the $2500 a year range with a large deductible and this was for a boat priced in the mid 30K's and 37' long. Reasons given were our lack of time on a larger boat and its location (Florida--potential hurricanes). We ended up getting just liability insurance for a couple hundred so we are covered if we damage someone else. So now I watch the 'hurricane tracker' even though we don't live in Florida but the boat does.

I along with probably the OP would like info if anyone has tips on insurance that might be less.

Also I thought Demacsea had a good suggestion on boat length and if you are still interested in Florida waters there is another thread going on about the areas in the Keys that you can and can't venture into with a larger boat ....

Cruising the Florida Keys

You give up a lot there with a deep keel and/or a tall mast. Mainly confined to the Atlantic side with few and/or poor anchorages. I would think the same would hold for the Bahamas. One person mentioned shoal draft 44's and I've looked some and about as shoal draft as I've seen is 5 1/2 feet. Anyone have suggestions on 40+ foot boats with a 5 foot or less draft?

Congrats on moving on towards your goals,

Sum

--------------------------------------------
Thanks for the input and the kind words. I am taking notes of all the good advice I get here.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30   #87
Registered User
 
Agape39's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hollywood, Fl
Boat: Corbin39
Posts: 138
I recently switched to Seaworthy Ins. Better rates than most, saved me a thousand a year! Based on your replacement cost that you set and gave credit for having a masters ticket.
__________________
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30   #88
Sponsoring Vendor
 
harryrezz's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Southern Caribbean & Buffalo, NY
Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Posts: 220
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Have to jump in here. You've gotten a lot of good advice, but you have also been subjected to a lot of well intended, but not totally accurate, opinions. In this buyer's market there a plenty of really good boats out there that are well equipped and nearly ready to go in the 40-50 foot range for under $100K. My own is a good example of this. I've owned her for 12 years and have been constantly maintaining, upgrading and equipping her over that time. She's a 1977 CSY 44 "Walkover" - built like an icebreaker and with lots of room for a liveaboard couple. Only reason's she's for sale now are that at 73 I'm finding that I'm not quite as agile as I was 10 years ago and my First Mate is also finding her mobility limited due to MS.
The hull is 34 years old, true, but hull, decks and house are all solid glass so there is no core that can rot. Engine has been replaced and upgraded, transmission has been replaced, up-to-date water-cooled fridge system, solar and wind generators, improved electricals, upgraded winches, great heavy-duty autopilot, oversized Lofrans Falkon windlass, oversized ground tackle, serviceable sails and canvas, hull and decks repainted, all exterior wood trim in great shape, custom aluminum dinghy davits for the 10.5 foot aluminum-hulled AB inflatable with 15hp Yamaha - the list goes on and on. Even the cookware and linens are on board. With an asking price of $89K someone is going to get a great boat at a great price! AND - she's already in the Caribbean - on the hard for hurricane season on St. Martin. Check her out at the broker's website, littleships.com, or send me a PM with any questions.
Happy Hunting!
__________________
Cap'nHar
s/v La Nostra
CSY 44 W/O cutter
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54   #89
Registered User
 
Sumner's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SE Utah
Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Posts: 370
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
.... I've owned her for 12 years and have been constantly maintaining, upgrading and equipping her over that time. She's a 1977 CSY 44 "Walkover" - built like an icebreaker and with lots of room for a liveaboard couple. Only reason's she's for sale now are that at 73 I'm finding that I'm not quite as agile as I was 10 years ago and my First Mate is also finding her mobility limited due to MS.
The hull is 34 years old, true, but hull, decks and house are all solid glass so there is no core that can rot. Engine has been replaced and upgraded, transmission has been replaced, ....
That is a great looking boat....

The Little Ship Company (French West Indies, St. Maarten/St. Martin)

.... and one I would for sure look at if I was in the market for a 40-50 foot boat and it looks like the draft is right at 5 feet which would be very nice. Sorry to hear you are moving on, but since we aren't far behind you age wise and with some health concerns can understand the situation.

I think on my first post I mentioned that you exemplify the type of seller and boat I'd be looking for. Someone who has put the money and energy into outfitting a safe and comfortable boat with cruising in mind. You did good . I feel that someone in a few years will be getting the same type of boat from Ruth and I, but still not the boat that you have.

Good luck on your next adventure,

Sum

------------------------------
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 19:38   #90
Registered User
 
CCBullseye's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia, up river from Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye
Posts: 106
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

My advice is to spend every good day sailing a dingy between now and when you leave. A 15' daysailer with main and jib will teach you much more about sailing a lot quicker than a 44ft boat. If you can sail a light weight 15 ft sloop, then you can sail a 44 foot boat. The reverse is not necessary true.
__________________

__________________
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.