Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2012, 00:14   #61

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: We are going to buy a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
For me, I look at it differently. Draft and bridge height are critical factors. I love the Chesapeake in the summer but hate the stinging nettles. When it is 100 degrees, I like to head up river in Virginia to fresh water, where there are no stinging nettles and it is safe and fun to swim all day long. There is one hole on the upper Rappahannock that is very private except for an occasional bass boat. The water is fresh, the fishing is good, the swimming is great and two anchors will hold in place for weeks. The only thing is there is a 50' bridge and entry into hold is 4' to 5' . The York River bridge is 60' and on the James River at Newport News there is 60' bridge. I would hate to not be able to escape to fresh water with no sting nettles in hot July and August on the Chesapeake in Virginia. This is my two cents worth.
What you are saying makes complete sense for your circumstances and I guess that one of the considerations that makes one person's list of essentials in a boat different from the next persons.

As for us, we are unlikely to venture far up into any freshwater/rivers and it is also unlikely we will want/need to get under any bridges, as we intend to cruise towards the Caribbean. Of course I don't know the local conditions around Florida, except for having driven around on land, so maybe we might stumble upon a restriction if we tried to enter one or other waterway. For the most part though, we will be cruising the Coastal water and the Cays/Bays/Coves around each country in the Caribbean once we leave the Coastal USA.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 05:41   #62

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

For me personally, I wouldn't be as concerned about mast hieght as I would be draft. Here in Florida and in the Bahama's there are going to be a lot of places you will not be able to go with a deep draft boat. Also, you may not be generally concerned about the speed of which you get somewhere until a storm is comming in, then time is a huge concern and you are unable to duck into an anchorage because of your draft or mast height. So, unless your sailing in deep water all the time with no bridges then I would at least be aware of the limits you are setting yourself up for when you buy a deep draft boat. May not be a big deal to you.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 13:33   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
For me personally, I wouldn't be as concerned about mast hieght as I would be draft. Here in Florida and in the Bahama's there are going to be a lot of places you will not be able to go with a deep draft boat. Also, you may not be generally concerned about the speed of which you get somewhere until a storm is comming in, then time is a huge concern and you are unable to duck into an anchorage because of your draft or mast height. So, unless your sailing in deep water all the time with no bridges then I would at least be aware of the limits you are setting yourself up for when you buy a deep draft boat. May not be a big deal to you.
Thanks for that ... those are valid points which we will take on board.
Old 26-09-2012, 16:47   #64

Boat: Swarbrick 40

I was looking at the 50 odd foot Benneteau link in a previous post for $99000.
Thought I would drop in a reality check.
Sorry about the long lists.

Last year I bought a 40ft yacht which was advertised for $98000. Got it for about a third less than the asking price. She was 28 years old and basically a sound yacht that I could live aboard as is and do some coastal cruising.
Nothing structural to repair.

When I first looked at it, I had this list. (what an idiot)
- Paint boom $100
- Sand & revarnish timber work $1000
- Buy BBQ $700
- Buy new inflatable & motor $1500
- Oil small amount of teak deck $50
- Service motor
- Extra life jackets $220
- Build some sort of canopy over the cockpit allow about $3000
- Purchasing costs, Survey slip insurance ect $4000
Total was about $ 11500

Notice that allot of the costs where cosmetic.

Here is the real list. And I am not finished. As copied from my bank statement.
Cash purchases are not shown.
-$241.56 ATLAS STEELS AUST PRESTONS
-$79.68 BAILEYS MARINE FUELS FREMANTLE
-$19.96 BARBEQUES GALORE CAM LEUMEAH
-$7.90 CLARK RUBBER CAMPBELLTOWN
-$1,290.00 CLONTARF MARINA PTY CLONTARF
-$50.90 CMPBLLTWN PAINT SPECIALSTCAMPBELLTOWN
-$528.00 CORMAC CONTRACTING PTY LTSMEATON GRAN
-$39.00 DARLING HARBOUR CONV CTE SYDNEY
-$18.58 DICK SMITH W8053 CAMPBELLTOWN
-$139.95 DICK SMITH W8741 CAMPBELLTOWN
-$379.61 GB MARINA/NRS PROP DRUMMOYNE
-$430.36 GB MARINA/NRS PROP DRUMMOYNE
-$260.00 GEMMELL SAILS DRUMMOYNE
-$569.42 GLADESVILLE MARINA DRUMMOYNE
-$1,815.40 GLADESVILLE MARINA DRUMMOYNE
-$32.35 Jaycar Electronics Campbelltown
-$139.95 KH & CH ENTERPRISES P/L NARELLAN
-$564.00 MILLER CHAINS AUSTRA MASCOT
-$129.95 MISTER MINIT MACARTH CAMPBELLTOWN
-$21.50 MOOREBANK TOTAL TOOLS MOOREBANK
-$59.36 MR STAINLESS PTY LTD DRUMMOYNE
-$982.10 NAUTILUS MARINE INSUR SANDRINGHAM
-$287.00 NSW MARITIME ROZELLE
-$2,536.36 PAYPAL *TRANSMARINE 4029357733
-$17.49 REPCO 012003 BANKSTOWN
-$291.80 ROZELLE NSW MARITIME ROZELLE
-$982.62 SUPERIOR MARINE SERV DRUMMOYNE
-$2,310.00 Transfer to CBA A/c NetBank hatches
-$1,879.19 Transfer to CBA A/c NetBank wind gen
-$550.00 ULTIMATE SAILING MCMAHONS POI
-$199.00 WAVES OVERSEAS SALES CROYDON
-$1,600.00 WAVES OVERSEAS SALES CROYDON
-$696.74 WHITWORTHS NTCL WORLD DRUMMOYNE
-$82.80 WHITWORTHS NTCL WORLD DRUMMOYNE
-$1,703.77 WHITWORTHS NTCL WORLD DRUMMOYNE
-$43.50 WHITWORTHS NTCL WORLD DRUMMOYNE
-$57.65 WHITWORTHS NTCL WORLD DRUMMOYNE
-$11.40 WHITWORTHS NTCL WORLD DRUMMOYNE
-$34.67 WHITWORTHS NTCL WORLD DRUMMOYNE
-$2,070.00 WINDCRAFT AUST P/L BAYVIEW

Total $25431.18 to date.

I still have to pay for
- Cockpit canopy $4000 to $8000 Canvas or Hard
- Boom bag $1100
- New rigging $5000 to $10000 ??

Don’t get me wrong, I am loving every minute of it and will be 100% confident that I have a very sea worthy boat at the end of all this. Might even get my money back if I eventually sell her.

That Benny is a big boat. The Oven looks good & the internal timber work looks lovely. I would love to own her.
I bet! there is another $30,000 to spend on her and that’s being very conservative.
So, try & make shore your budget is realistic.
Best of luck

Jeff
Old 26-09-2012, 17:11   #65

Hoohaa,
I am curious, are all of the charges for work done, plus parts, or is this just parts? Did you do the work yourself or was the work done by a contractor? Are some of the charges marina fees for storage ect? Just wondering?
Old 26-09-2012, 17:19   #66

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
When I first looked at it, I had this list. (what an idiot)
- Paint boom $100
- Sand & revarnish timber work $1000
- Buy BBQ $700
- Buy new inflatable & motor $1500
- Oil small amount of teak deck $50
- Service motor
- Extra life jackets $220
- Build some sort of canopy over the cockpit allow about $3000
- Purchasing costs, Survey slip insurance ect $4000
Total was about $ 11500..

.(the real total) ......Total $25431.18 to date.

I still have to pay for
- Cockpit canopy $4000 to $8000 Canvas or Hard
- Boom bag $1100
- New rigging $5000 to $10000 ??

Don’t get me wrong, I am loving every minute of it and will be 100% confident that I have a very sea worthy boat at the end of all this. Might even get my money back if I eventually sell her.

That Benny is a big boat. The Oven looks good & the internal timber work looks lovely. I would love to own her.
I bet! there is another $30,000 to spend on her and that’s being very conservative.
So, try & make shore your budget is realistic.
Best of luck Jeff
Yep, reality check, .

I see some boats in the yard where our boat is that are used every year in the cruising season and the owners haven't spent much on them or done much to them and they are happy. They probably need some work done such as thru-hulls and such to make them safer but they don't and they get along.

Me I can't leave anything alone. Ruth and I get somewhat anal about some things and just want a boat that we feel comfortable with. Things that cost money or time and work or both. Money and our time that we will never recoup when we sell the boat but that makes the boat enjoyable for us while we use her.

There are some things you will have to do or should do to about any older boat you buy and some that you want to do just for your peace of mind or comfort. If you are in the first category maybe add 10%-15% to the sale price to be realistic. If you are in the second group add maybe 20%-30% to the sale price to be happy.

If you have to hire all work out maybe add more. We have done a number of canvas mods (dodger, bimini, sail-pack, full cockpit bug netting and dinghy chaps)...

Endeavour 37 Canvas Mods Index

....for maybe a couple thousand. From others posting they might of cost us 3 to 4 times that amount if we would of had them done. We are all different but one should maybe figure which group they belong to when buying, especially the first time. I am glad that we started with a smaller boat to begin with, it lessened the shock when we bought and outfitted the second larger boat,

Sum

--------------------------------------------------------
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 17:50   #67

Rocketman.
Yes to all.
Where specialized trades where needed I paid for them.
Motor services
Electrician
Hatches and install
All SS sea cocks replaced

Saved money where I could by doing cosmetic and maintenance work wherever it didn't require professional Tades.
I have also upgraded a few things. As you do.

I was using a marina mooring in Sydney but now have my own. The marina was handy as it came with a substantial dingy service which was useful for transporting gear, tools ect.
I did try & save money wherever I could and if I had loads of time I could have done more myself but am not shore I could have done as good a job and it would certainly have taken allot longer.
The figures are real and they don't include cash payments so they are conservative. Its a bit hard from the descriptions to see what each item is but it was more to point out how naive I was at the start.
If I was to do it again. I would find a bloke just like me now. that has been there and spent that. to have a look at a boat from Bow to stern summing up real costs.
In the end, hopefully you haven't paid too much, can afford to put the work in and the boat is worth somewhere around what you have spent on her.
About $2200 of this was to pay for the repair of someone else's beautifully Hanze that I ran into when my Gear leaver malfunctioned. (another $900 and install for the lever) but thats another story.
Still loving it though
Old 26-09-2012, 19:38   #68

Hoohaa
Thanks for the story and your insite.
Old 26-09-2012, 23:33   #69

Quote:
Hoohaa

We had our 1st minor setback last night. Our motorhome was to be sold today (a done deal according to the buyer). He has let us down and pulled out. Oh well, we have another buyer lined up so hopefully it will sell this weekend or soon. The next big "item" is the house (apart from the houseful of worldly possessions that are going each day slowly but surely). One never realises just what an enormous task it is to get rid of what has been accumulated over the years and we have a large 4 bedroom home that has ample space to house our "collection").

Really nice site this with a lot of good people and the encouragement received is a real morale booster to become even more determined to realise our dream.
Old 27-09-2012, 00:42   #70

[/QUOTE]
There are some things you will have to do or should do to about any older boat you buy and some that you want to do just for your peace of mind or comfort. If you are in the first category maybe add 10%-15% to the sale price to be realistic. If you are in the second group add maybe 20%-30% to the sale price to be happy.

If you have to hire all work out maybe add more. We have done a number of canvas mods (dodger, bimini, sail-pack, full cockpit bug netting and dinghy chaps)...

....for maybe a couple thousand. From others posting they might of cost us 3 to 4 times that amount if we would of had them done. We are all different but one should maybe figure which group they belong to when buying, especially the first time. I am glad that we started with a smaller boat to begin with, it lessened the shock when we bought and outfitted the second larger boat,

Sum

--------------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]
You guys are spot on.
Your pages on canvas mods are fantastic. You might be getting some dum question emails from me in the future.
Well done.
Old 27-09-2012, 01:11   #71

Sum

--------------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]
You guys are spot on.
Your pages on canvas mods are fantastic. You might be getting some dum question emails from me in the future.
Well done. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input; it seems that good advice and experience simply continues to flow from members of this site and for that we are grateful. Apart from (literally 1 or 2 posts) in response, every response we have had has held some info of use.
Old 27-09-2012, 02:41   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Hoohaa
+1
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 07:31   #73

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
You guys are spot on.
Your pages on canvas mods are fantastic. You might be getting some dumb question emails from me in the future.
Well done.
There might be some dumb replies, but we will be glad to help anyway we can. We are self taught so I'm sure some of the stuff we did could be done better,

Sum

--------------------------------------------------------
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 01:26   #74

Hi folks, just to share the fact that our 1st big step towards our dream was put into place last night. We sold our motorhome ... so strange to wake up and look onto the drive and see a big gap where it stood.
Old 28-09-2012, 11:23   #75

Boat: Heritage East 40
Awesome!! Enjoy that feeling
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard