Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 16:53   #1

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Way to Go; the Boat or Rest Home?

This admirable man died in the sea. His choice to live his old age on the boat seems a pretty good one despite the consequences.

Donald MacKay | Yachtie was solitary but loved his... | Stuff.co.nz
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 20:07   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
Re: Way to go; the boat or rest home?

Gonna be 68 and have decided to go back to the sea. I have done a lot of things in my life and now it's time to go back to the first love. Selling everything including my present little gunkholer and liveaboard as well as sail. Not so much interested in the destinations (traveled all over the world) as much as the journeys. Rather just be out on the water "Sailin Somewhere" for those who know what I mean.
Old 16-12-2013, 20:48   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sailin for me ! they don't let ya pee over the side in a rest home !!!
Old 16-12-2013, 20:56   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Better to go happy and doing what you want, then to sit around waiting to die.
Old 17-12-2013, 05:55   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Amen, Pilgrimtex, I am all about the journey, not so much the arrival. I'm getting ready to kick off the traces and settle in on my boat full time, win, lose or draw. I am thinking about cutting the dock lines and heading out, see where the wind and sea take me, no destination, maybe meet destiny. Could be worse, I could be working in a cubicle somewheres watching the clock tick down on my life.
Old 17-12-2013, 06:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Way to go; the boat or rest home?

Yup... its all about the journey.... arrival at the destination is the end... a bit like Death...
So far.. lotsa lives lived.. and hopefully lots more to be lived...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 06:26   #7

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

I just cannot see "settling" in to a rest home. They seem like a larger coffin...just prior to a small coffin. I am sure that there are good ones out there, but it just seems like a lot to surrender in order to have a little security. If the body is still willing, why would you not take advantage of it?

Mind you, I have a ways to go before I have to make that decision for myself...but I am fairly confident of which way the chips will fall in my case (current state of my being and all).
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 08:32   #8

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

We been a live aboard for 16+ years and we have discuss about moving off and selling the boat in a couple of years. We both will be retired July 2014, so we can start to move about during the warmer months. So the immediate question for us is where do we want to retired to, how much will we use the boat after we retire and/or can we justify the cost of ownership?

There is the question of how long are we physically capable of going up/down the ramps, tide swings are 14 ft, walk the docks - most large boats are at the end of the dock, and get on/off the boat – my wife fell in twice/I fell in once already. However, once on the boat the boat is better for older person with limitations as there are plenty of hand holds, no large open spaces, few stairs - 4 steps and the boat is very stable - full displacement. My wife shattered her heel and had a hip replacement, so getting her on/off the boat was difficult, and we had to wait for high tide so the ramp as not steep. However, once on the boat she was comfortable and mobile as the boat is warm 65 to 70 F, dry – no condensation/moisture/mild dew and the same creature comforts as a dirt place.

My wife and I can still take the boat out, which is sort of like single handling. Docking is the concern as once in open water the boat is on auto pilot, we have to monitor/watch. Its actually quite boring after a while. We have an easy in and out slip, but I usually call for dock assistance to caught/secure the lines. Docking the boat is 95% done by the helm once the boat is 40+ ft. The difficulty is getting the boat close enough so the lines can be cleated..

Most people that are live aboard seem to be healthier and happier then most living on the dirt. Something about the marina and water! So the question is how much longer will we be a live aboard and/or own the boat? We are hoping 2 to 5 years.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 08:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Way to go; the boat or rest home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
We been a live aboard for 16+ years and we have discuss about moving off and selling the boat in a couple of years. We both will be retired July 2014, so we can start to move about during the warmer months. So the immediate question for us is where do we want to retired to, how much will we use the boat after we retire and/or can we justify the cost of ownership?

There is the question of how long are we physically capable of going up/down the ramps, tide swings are 14 ft, walk the docks - most large boats are at the end of the dock, and get on/off the boat – my wife fell in twice/I fell in once already. However, once on the boat the boat is better for older person with limitations as there are plenty of hand holds, no large open spaces, few stairs - 4 steps and the boat is very stable - full displacement. My wife shattered her heel and had a hip replacement, so getting her on/off the boat was difficult, and we had to wait for high tide so the ramp as not steep. However, once on the boat she was comfortable and mobile as the boat is warm 65 to 70 F, dry – no condensation/moisture/mild dew and the same creature comforts as a dirt place.

My wife and I can still take the boat out, which is sort of like single handling. Docking is the concern as once in open water the boat is on auto pilot, we have to do in monito/watch. Its actually quite boring after a while. We have an easy in and out slip, but I usually call for dock assistance to caught/secure the lines. Docking the boat is 95% done by the helm once the boat is 40+ ft. The difficulty is getting the boat close enough so the lines can be cleated..

Most people that are live aboard seem to be healthier and happier then most living on the dirt. Something about the marina and water! So the question is how much longer will we be a live aboard and/or own the boat? We are hoping 2 to 5 years.
Sail her or get her delivered South to warmer places and much smaller tides.. you know it makes sense..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 08:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sail her or get her delivered South to warmer places and much smaller tides.. you know it makes sense..
Uh... exactly what I was thinkin'...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:44   #11

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I am fortunate to live next door to a Marina and made many friends...yesterday as I walked down to my dock I looked over next door and saw a old Friend I hadn't seen in a few weeks....he like many of us here are of the Vietnam era and have accumulate a lotta "body miles" and share the love of the sea. He and I both were in Vietnam at the same time and share similar experiences. He was a Seal, a very Salty Sea Dog is a understatement. But "Salty" as I call him is not doing well, his condition is terminal. He told me yesterday as we sat beside his boat and remembered all the good times on "Liberty" that he would not see many more tide swings. He said that his plan was to head out to sea on his boat when it "was time" to "shift colors" for the last call that no one would hear from him as it was his "way to go". He would head out far enough to "scuttle the ship" and go down with her as his personal "burial at sea". I would not discourage him as I too understand. It will be a sad day for me, I'll miss him....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 10:40   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
I am fortunate to live next door to a Marina and made many friends...yesterday as I walked down to my dock I looked over next door and saw a old Friend I hadn't seen in a few weeks....he like many of us here are of the Vietnam era and have accumulate a lotta "body miles" and share the love of the sea. He and I both were in Vietnam at the same time and share similar experiences. He was a Seal, a very Salty Sea Dog is a understatement. But "Salty" as I call him is not doing well, his condition is terminal. He told me yesterday as we sat beside his boat and remembered all the good times on "Liberty" that he would not see many more tide swings. He said that his plan was to head out to sea on his boat when it "was time" to "shift colors" for the last call that no one would hear from him as it was his "way to go". He would head out far enough to "scuttle the ship" and go down with her as his personal "burial at sea". I would not discourage him as I too understand. It will be a sad day for me, I'll miss him....

Also a Vietnam vet here. And I have the same plans providing I don't get killed on the streets. They say you can't take it with you, but i'm going to try.
Old 17-12-2013, 11:10   #13

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I'm with you Del.........we'll keep a Smilin til then.....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 11:29   #14

Boat: Westsail 32

This question is kinda like asking the waitress if the foods good, you know what the answer is going to be. Had to go down to the Bronx last evening to visit a dying friend, 58 years old 6'2' down to about 80lbs. My hope is to never end up like that or in a nursing home and when it gets to the point that I can't sail anymore I will be very happy to slip away whilst on board my beloved boat.
Old 17-12-2013, 16:58   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I can see the potential of being found floating face down near my dinghy when I'm 82. That would give me fifteen more years and fifty-seven years of living joyfully on the boat! Members of my family have accumulated 131 years of living on sailboats, so nobody would be surprised. I will still likely end up in some garden shed ashore if I can't adjust a sheet or see the bow!