Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2013, 14:23   #1

Washington state marinas

Hey there,

I am a newbie here. One of the reasons I joined was to ask if anyone has any "inside information" about living aboard in LaConner, Anacortes, Bellingham area. We have frequented LaConner and Anacortes as guests in our sailboat years ago. We leased a slip in Everett, WA for years, again as guests.

I'm mainly interested in the attitudes and friendliness of the staff. I just read an article about Shilshole in Seattle where the author said that it was live aboard unfriendly.

Anacortes (Cap Sante) has just begun accepting live aboards on a pilot program. That has me a bit worried because if the "pilot program" doesn't seem like it's working they will revert to the no live aboard rules. There is a great shortage of alternatives. Most other marinas in the area have a 3 year waiting list. Yikes! LaConner, as of this moment, is not accepting any new applications.

Advice?
JJStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 15:35   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Washington state marinas

Shilshole is far from unfriendly. I've lived aboard there for 19 years, raised my kids there.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 17:00   #3

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Many of the live aboard came from Laconor as they didi not allow live aboards. So why not stay in Everett?

Everett is live aboard freindy close to Seattle and the water is brackish which easy on the boat.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 17:13   #4

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I am in Deer Harbor on Orcas and no problems here. Price is right too.

Bellingham was great when I was there a few years ago with a different boat. Plus it is within walking distance of lots of chandleries and other marine vendors. You can't really go wrong there. Pretty easy to get in the San Juans too once across Bellingham Bay which can get pretty windy at times.

Personally I find Bellingham more interesting than Anacortes but Anacortes is a close second.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 17:34   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

I agree that Shilshole in Seattle is friendly to live aboards. It also has quick access to the sound. It had a massive makeover a few years back and the walkways are solid. Security is good and the staff are friendly unless a tenant has a trashed out boat. Then they aren't so friendly. Decent yards around the area too. It ain't cheap but rent is reasonable in my experience.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 18:42   #6

Thanks for the info, everyone. First of all, we sold our sailboat a couple of years ago (sadly), and now my husband and I work in Mount Vernon/Burlington area. It was a sad, sad day, but we were off on a new adventure in Reno, NV. We loved Everett marina, with a few exceptions.

The worry in B'ham for me is the weather. We used to watch the boats get pummeled there during the winter. We're curious to know what the scoop is in Anacortes. We've learned that there is currently only 1 live aboard at Cap Sante. It is a bit more expensive, but closer access to Safeway, town. We love LaConner but know that in the winter the town rolls up and dies. LOL.

It looks like our best bet is Anacortes Marina on Fidalgo Bay. Any info?
JJStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 06:56   #7

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Evetett has no wait list and live aboard freindly. A little longer drive but all highway and little trafic heading north. Quick access to the sound, close to Seattle, and somewhat protected. If you are in the Everett area let us know. rw58ph@yahoo.com
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, washing, Washington