Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 18:58   #1

Washing without a Shower . . .

Using a sink or bucket only...is this a matter of getting use to or is it unrealistic?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 19:06   #2

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
I don't think it's unrealistic. It may be more realistic than trying to add a shower to the head compartment of a small boat. With an occasional break in the form of a solar shower in the cockpit, it should do the job just fine.
Old 02-12-2010, 19:20   #3

I guess heating a bit of water on the stove is not much of a problem in colder months?
Old 02-12-2010, 19:28   #4

Boat: Still shopping for now.
It really never bothered me taking a sponge bath out if a bucket.
The solar shower is quite a nice thing though.
left52side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 19:32   #5

This thing kicks ass, inside or outside the boat. Fill it up with water, leave it in the sun, and it's warm within several hours. Or just fill it up 1/3 with hot (not boiling) water from the stove on cold/cloudy days.

Pump-up Solar Shower
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 19:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
This thing kicks ass, inside or outside the boat. Fill it up with water, leave it in the sun, and it's warm within several hours. Or just fill it up 1/3 with hot (not boiling) water from the stove on cold/cloudy days.

Pump-up Solar Shower
hey I have a similar one for plants...other then being green and a little larger its the same...I guess I only need to fidle with the sprey nosel and make it more like a shower.
Old 02-12-2010, 19:53   #7

Yeah, it's basically just a bug sprayer modified to work like a shower. The fact that it's all black and has the shower nozzle built into it is what makes it pretty fancy. If you want to get really pro you could put it in the middle of some flexible mirror type fabrics and make a solar heater of sorts.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 19:54   #8
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Doesn't sound like much fun in Montreal! Of course, I'm in Texas and hate the cold anyway.

Go easy on the soap if you have a limited amount of water. Washing your hair is the hardest part - getting it rinsed.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 20:54   #9

Boat: Beneteau 393
Baby wipes are great. They even make them "adult-sized" (see them in hospitals, etc.)

We always joke each other if someone goes geriatric and hits up the wipes, but sometime you just don't feel like going through all that comes with a shower on a boat.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 21:09   #10

Boat: Allures 44
I'll bet you use less water with a good navy shower (via nozzle, sun shower, whatever) than by filling a bucket part way.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 21:25   #11

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yeah, it's basically just a bug sprayer modified to work like a shower. The fact that it's all black and has the shower nozzle built into it is what makes it pretty fancy. If you want to get really pro you could put it in the middle of some flexible mirror type fabrics and make a solar heater of sorts.
I was able to pick up a black garden sprayer at Home Depot for about $18 I think. Did modify by shortening the wand, but the nozzle has an adjuster on it to go from stream to spray, so I'm happy. But you're right. Works like a champ. I like that you don't need to have it higher than your head.

I also bought this seriously industrial strenght German made black bladder thingy at a mom & pop camping supply store. It's like a military grade Sun Shower. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 02-12-2010, 21:36   #12

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
sponge baths on small boat without a shower work great when its cold and ugly outside and i dont feel like hiking up to the marina showers i just boil some water grab a washcloth some soap and have a sponge bath of course summer months solar showers work great too.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 21:57   #13

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
bathing

I agree that sponge baths are great when it is freezing outside. A nice pot of hot water and a washcloth can really freshen ya up. I happened to have a paint roller tray tucked away in the old boat and found they make a good foot wash. On a smaller boat, after your sponge bath, put the soapy water in the paint roller tray (disposable insert, i reuse) and give the the feet a good scrub in the cockpit. A courtesy rinse, dry, and back into some fresh wool. These things can make a big difference on a long, cold adventure.

On my 30 footer I used sun showers in the warm weather, sponge bath in cold weather. My new boat has pressure water and a cockpit shower. If you have pressure water and the tankage, a cockpit shower is a real nice feature. Hot water is nice, so if you did not have that on the boat a sun shower is the way to go.

c
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 22:58   #14

My girlfriend came back from a girl night out and we pretended to be in the boat, so a spong bath for both it was...we lite a few candles sat on the tubs rim poured a bucket of worm water and generously and sensualy abused soap...we wased each other and shes shaved me... this made us realised that spong washing is not only practicle but its also fun... even washing our hair with a sponge is easy and effective... we have no problem visualising this as long term on the boat.

Thanks for posting guys

ps. Caution; all in all a grate experiance
Old 03-12-2010, 01:41   #15
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If it's cold when we're doing longer passages, I keep a pack of bay wipes in the heads, and wash a different part of me whenever I go to the loo. Sounds naff, but it worked so well the crew (and even the SKipper) started doing it too.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing