Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 13:37   #1

Wanted: Live Aboard Wisdom From Worldtravelling Veterans!

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm a young guy who recently sold my house and have some cash - with a boat budget of about $75k. I'll describe what I plan to do with my boat and I am looking for boat suggestions to get me started on narrowing down the search. I intend to buy a boat within the next couple years and learn to sail in-between by jumping on other boats and crewing. Thanx so much in advance! Here we go:

What I plan to do:

1. I plan to stay mostly tropical and casually travel the seas while living on my boat. I dont plan on crossing oceans regularly, but I do need a boat that is capable. An option to be able to sail European canals in the future would be nice but not essential.

2. I value quality over quantity - meaning I would rather invest in a smaller, better built, well organized boat - plus it agrees more with my philosophy. I would guess about 30-35ft.

3. I would like to be able to single-hand the boat but I also want it to be comfortable for myself and one other with the rare option for guests. Can most boats (within my parameters) be sailed solo and does it take a lot of time/$$$ to set it up this way? Are some rigs better than others for this purpose?

I also do not mind making improvements on the boat myself, I figure I'll build a better relationship with her that way too. From what I have read so far, older boats are for the most part higher quality? So saying that, is it a better deal to buy an older, better built boat and add the gizmos I want? Or is buying an already re-fit boat sometimes a better deal?

I am also completely mobile so I could buy the boat anywhere and explore that area first. Preferably tropical. I also have Canadian/UK Citizenship. Are there advantages as to where I register the boat?

Also, in my boat I would appreciate good ventilation and lighting in the cabin, a swim ladder for warm seas, and enough storage for a fold-up bike and surfboard. I would also want sun and/or wind energy, refrigerator, and water maker...hopefully that's not too much to ask in my price range.

Well that should be more than enough to get this ball rolling.

Thanx everyone, Chris.
presentmoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 17:10   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Wanted: Live Aboard Wisdom From Worldtravelling Veterans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by presentmoment View Post
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm a young guy who recently sold my house and have some cash - with a boat budget of about $75k. I'll describe what I plan to do with my boat and I am looking for boat suggestions to get me started on narrowing down the search. I intend to buy a boat within the next couple years and learn to sail in-between by jumping on other boats and crewing. Thanx so much in advance! Here we go:

What I plan to do:

1. I plan to stay mostly tropical and casually travel the seas while living on my boat. I dont plan on crossing oceans regularly, but I do need a boat that is capable. An option to be able to sail European canals in the future would be nice but not essential. Draft could be a problem. Certainly the mast would have to come off.

2. I value quality over quantity - meaning I would rather invest in a smaller, better built, well organized boat - plus it agrees more with my philosophy. I would guess about 30-35ft. Good plan.

3. I would like to be able to single-hand the boat but I also want it to be comfortable for myself and one other with the rare option for guests. Can most boats (within my parameters) be sailed solo and does it take a lot of time/$$$ to set it up this way? Are some rigs better than others for this purpose? Yes they can. doing your own work saves lots of dollars. If I was to get a mono. I would want a cutter rig.

I also do not mind making improvements on the boat myself, I figure I'll build a better relationship with her that way too. From what I have read so far, older boats are for the most part higher quality? So saying that, is it a better deal to buy an older, better built boat and add the gizmos I want? Or is buying an already re-fit boat sometimes a better deal? multiple opinions on that. Age does not mean as much as how well it was taken care of in many cases.

I am also completely mobile so I could buy the boat anywhere and explore that area first. Preferably tropical. I also have Canadian/UK Citizenship. Are there advantages as to where I register the boat? Don't know about that.

Also, in my boat I would appreciate good ventilation and lighting in the cabin, a swim ladder for warm seas, and enough storage for a fold-up bike and surfboard. I would also want sun and/or wind energy, refrigerator, and water maker...hopefully that's not too much to ask in my price range. Pretty sure you can find one like that but what do you have left over to live on? The boat will cost a bit to keep up also. Threads on that too.

Thanx everyone, Chris.
Welcome to CF Chris.

Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out already.

From what I have read you should easily be able to find a nice boat in your "want" area. It would be a monohull though and I am a cat person so specific boats would be from what I read, not experienced.

Using the specific google search (upper right) will get you any number of opinions/answers.
Old 14-08-2012, 02:39   #3

Thanx Therapy for the good info. I noticed you suggested a Cutter Rig for me...do you have specific reasons? Also good to know that draft is an issue in the canals in Europe.

Also, for you and others who might read...I have read a lot about different brands of boats and wonder if I can relate it to some cars to give me a better idea of quality. What I am trying to say is I am not looking for a mercedes or audi, but I dont want a pontiac sunfire or ford tempo either...im looking for the honda or toyota of the boat world. Something made and designed well that will last, but not real fancy either.
Old 14-08-2012, 17:01   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Thanx Therapy for the good info. I noticed you suggested a Cutter Rig for me...do you have specific reasons? Also good to know that draft is an issue in the canals in Europe.

Also, for you and others who might read...I have read a lot about different brands of boats and wonder if I can relate it to some cars to give me a better idea of quality. What I am trying to say is I am not looking for a mercedes or audi, but I dont want a pontiac sunfire or ford tempo either...im looking for the honda or toyota of the boat world. Something made and designed well that will last, but not real fancy either.
Here is a start.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ter-22416.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rig-70933.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eply&p=1012177

Then use the google search portion of the search drop-down choices and put in some words of cars. There are threads on that one too.

Enough to keep you busy for a while.

Have fun.

PS. I want a small main further aft than most do too but there aren't many cats with that sort of rig..............
Old 14-08-2012, 17:44   #5

if you get up to 35 feet it will be better for the occasional guests on board... marginally better anyway. If you are staying in the tropics mostly and not offshore a lot, I would think a more modern design, with a swim step transom etc would be great. These are usually lighter/airier inside too. Basically, the whole carribean (windwards lewards etc anyway) are no more than an overnighter at sea. A cutter is nice, but then again... you're doing mostly overnighters and spending a lot of time just "hanging out".(?) A sloop with a removeable staysail might suit you better or as good.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 02:04   #6

have internet again and will continue my research...thanx guys for your comments and ill get back when i have more questions...
Old 28-08-2012, 03:03   #7

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Hi Chris.
1. finance. Boats degrade in value, property doesn't usually. Just a note of caution.
2. old boats eat money, new boats eat money. Decide carefully what you need and find it for half your current budget.
3. marina moorings cost money per day, anchoring within reach costs a dinghy plus fuel per visit. Your boat needs to carry that dinghy in adverse weather and you need to be able to change sails around it, launch it quickly in emergency, etc etc. It DOES matter.
4. things you WILL need.
4a. Dinghy for shipping stores, tiny kayak for beach visits, surfboard.
4b. A normal port sleeping arrangement for two (hopefully) but single berths are usually a wriggle to get in and out of.
4c. Decent cooking facilities, two burner stove is enough but caravan style gas bottles not the aerosol sized camping style.
4d. Solar panels, about four is a minimum to keep stuff operating.
4e. Auto-pilot or something similar, a tiller pilot will hold a course at a lower cost. Sleeping room in the cockpit, roller reefing on fore-sail. for single handing. Sleep in the day, in the cockpit. Night is when things go bad/break.
4f. Old Cats, the right boat but much slower, mono's are too hot in the sun, sleeping in a cellar. View multihullworld.com for an idea of what's available. Prouts are the traditional make that are sound as a rule and slow. A third of wind speed is typically, you might do better as you learn your boat, and 45 deg off the apparent. At f6 they leap about a lot, my 31ft did anyway, but at 37ft (Snowgoose) they are ocean safe (as Oceans get).
Tri's run faster, have a lot less volume for crew, less than a mono.
4g. plan your passage, find out about ocean winds, the seasonal aspects, and plan your passage again, for 150 miles a day, and add 25% and work ut how much food and water solo will need, and do again for three on board. These will define your boat storage space and passage limitations. Island hoping is fine, US to Euro Atlantic Passage is a different mission, via available islands is against the wind, northern passage is long and cool.
Three years later you'll have a wealth of experiences, good and bad, a worn out boat, and worn out sails with a refit becoming critical. You will need to factor this into your financial plan.

It's a harsh outline, but sailing off into the void is a harsh task master. Making it enjoyable, survivable and comfortable is the key. Good Luck. It was my dream too.
Old 28-08-2012, 03:20   #8

You're EU waterways thing makes life a little complicated ... draft should be less than 5 feet.

I'll give you two very different boats to look at ... just for fun!

Alubat ovni ... a really cheap one is the top end of your pricerange (you can probably bargain 20% off) ... take a look at http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=76083&url=

it has a centerboard, it is not too old, and I personally bought a similar bigger boat (so I like the design)

On the low end ... Pearson 35 ... 1963 Pearson Alberg sailboat for sale in Connecticut ... less space inside, older, tried and true.

I'd say the Ovni is exactly what you want ... but I am biased, and there are no "right answers"

good luck
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 03:36   #9

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hi Presentmoment, Welcome to CF, I cruise in and around the Med/European canals on a motor cruiser. There are more qualified and experienced sailors on here to advise you on sailing rigs etc. I can assure you that a fin keel WILL NOT be suitable to transit the canals (except the Kiel canal) no pun intended. So you have to be looking at a fin keel boat.
Good Luck in your search
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 03:40   #10

Apologies for the above typo, that should read.. 'So you have to be looking at a bilge keel boat' max draught is 1.2 metres on the Canal du Lateral a Garonne/Canal du Midi.
Old 28-08-2012, 03:54   #11

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

The main canal route, UK to Med, takes the smaller Prouts. A bit of research will also give an idea of the costs, it's not a cheap route but it is a great holiday, wine is cheap food is typically priced but good.
Old 28-08-2012, 04:50   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Understand it's easy enough to charter a canal boat in Europe, if you want to take that out of the original equation...

-Chris
Old 28-08-2012, 05:44   #13

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Quote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

What I plan to do:

1. I plan to stay mostly tropical and casually travel the seas while living on my boat. I dont plan on crossing oceans regularly, but I do need a boat that is capable. An option to be able to sail European canals in the future would be nice but not essential.

2. I value quality over quantity - meaning I would rather invest in a smaller, better built, well organized boat - plus it agrees more with my philosophy. I would guess about 30-35ft.

3. I would like to be able to single-hand the boat but I also want it to be comfortable for myself and one other with the rare option for guests. Can most boats (within my parameters) be sailed solo and does it take a lot of time/$$$ to set it up this way? Are some rigs better than others for this purpose?

I also do not mind making improvements on the boat myself, I figure I'll build a better relationship with her that way too. From what I have read so far, older boats are for the most part higher quality? So saying that, is it a better deal to buy an older, better built boat and add the gizmos I want? Or is buying an already re-fit boat sometimes a better deal?

I am also completely mobile so I could buy the boat anywhere and explore that area first. Preferably tropical. I also have Canadian/UK Citizenship. Are there advantages as to where I register the boat?

Also, in my boat I would appreciate good ventilation and lighting in the cabin, a swim ladder for warm seas, and enough storage for a fold-up bike and surfboard. I would also want sun and/or wind energy, refrigerator, and water maker...hopefully that's not too much to ask in my price range.

Thanx everyone, Chris.
Hi I have been through this with another person on this site. I think you would benefit from looking at what I said about the Sadler 29.
Also I have just made a video about gps to paper chart navigation made simple that might help you. Put into google search psg1640@gmail.com and you will find it there. Happy hunting and enjoy enjoy. Pete
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 04:00   #14

If any of you guys interested in the European canals if you Google 'How To Enjoy Cruising In Retirement' and 'How To Cruise Between Two Sea's' by Geoff Woolley you will find all the info you need for the trip from UK to the Med or from Bordeaux in the bay of Biscay to the Med, it's a good read too.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:55   #15

thanx guys. looks like ill rent a boat for europe when that door opens and stick to a boat meant for the tropics for now. appreciate all the responses so far...

Tags
wanted