Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 07:19   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Voting address vs permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Despite the news, there is very little anchorage restriction in Florida. My information leads me to believe that there's more restricted anchorage by total area in the waters around San Diego than the entire State of Florida.
I bet that's true for just about everywhere, which is why I don't understand the constant FL anchor threads far as owners of non-derelict boats go.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:56   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Our Billing address is our SB! one and used for bank and credit card accounts. Our residential address when living aboard was the marina one but on moving ashore again is now our home condo address which is used for our driver licenses and my Green Card as a Brit immigrant. my wife ( American but otherwise perfect) votes in our residential district elections, I of course have no vote as a non-citizen, but still have to pay taxes which sucks.

We used also to have a PO Box but dropped it once we had a dirt base again. SBI are excellent, keep watch over boat documentation renewals and car registrations and we will maintain that address, regardless, to keep our Florida residency valid. I understand the police insist on a valid residential address on driver licences and when we applie and took the compulsory tests had to provide proof of residency like bank account statements/utility bills/letters etc. Whilst all this was carefully perused and noted at the time with me present, they still put my sex down wrongly on my licence as female! maybe they know something that I don't.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Paul I should have been more clear in my post. I was looking at the issue through the lens of dealing with .gov regulations. Not looking at individual company policies.
The government regulations are those at Treasury and they pretty much state the address you provide has to be one where law enforcement can find you and/or the person there knows where you are so they can find you. Examples are provided. The banks have all written their own policies based on the examples since the banks have to comply with the government regs. The consumer does end up having to comply with whatever their bank comes up with -- or go to another bank.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:02   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
................. I of course have no vote as a non-citizen, but still have to pay taxes which sucks. ........................
Hmm, "Taxation without representation...?" I seem to recall this was raised as an issue of conflict between the Americans and the British some years back. I see many possibilities. The next time we're in Daytona you're welcome to come aboard Aythya dressed up like that "Robin" lady on your drivers license and toss our Diet Coke into the harbor.

We could invite the media or post a video. Nancie and I will enjoy seeing you guys again regardless!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:14   #35

Quote:
Hmm, "Taxation without representation...?" I seem to recall this was raised as an issue of conflict between the Americans and the British some years back. I see many possibilities. The next time we're in Daytona you're welcome to come aboard Aythya dressed up like that "Robin" lady on your drivers license and toss our Diet Coke into the harbor.

We could invite the media or post a video. Nancie and I will enjoy seeing you guys again regardless!

Love to but I will need a new dress!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:19   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Hmm, "Taxation without representation...?" I seem to recall this was raised as an issue of conflict between the Americans and the British some years back.
Good joke..

The only folks who have true taxation w/o representation are US citizens who are residents of the District of Columbia. Full federal taxes are paid but, there, they have a "shadow senator" with no vote and a representative in the House whose vote is a token but only counts if it would not be a tie-breaker -- so in other words, the vote doesn't count. Strange situation. All the excuses have been made but never make sense since the population is/was greater than some of the rural states and the amount of federal taxes paid is pretty big as DC isn't at the bottom economically. Just a weird situation (that we learned about when we moved there for several years.)

I wonder if the Brits have the same situation as Americans abroad where we have the first x-many dollars of international income is exempt from USA personal income tax (unless you work for a USA company or the USA gov't)? Otherwise, doesn't the Brit just have to pay income tax there as well as here on the same income?

When I lived and worked in Japan, I payed no income tax on my Fujitsu income but since I also worked for the US gov't I paid income tax on that income. At that time, the first $75K of international income earned while living abroad was exempt from US taxes. It was 20 years ago so surely the number is higher now -- and surely the Brits have a similar tax break so they don't pay double.

However, the Brit is fortunate to have a permit to work in the USA, IMO, just as any American is lucky if afforded work abroad. If one must pay taxes on one's income in order to work here--um, well, I just consider that person lucky to be employed or have a business that is profitable enough to pay taxes.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:11   #37

In this case I'm the brit and fully retired, 71years old and post stroke. I'm taxed here in the USA on my total income from UK state pension (Social Security here), but pay no tax on it in the UK since there is a UK/USA agreement preventing double taxation. SO I pay both federal tax and local property and sales taxes yet have no vote. If I drank tea I might dump it at sea in protest but I suppose I could use cans of beer instead.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:54   #38
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
If I drank tea I might dump it at sea in protest but I suppose I could use cans of beer instead.
Now we know you are really just a crazy man
Old 01-04-2016, 12:12   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Now we know you are really just a crazy man
How so? My lovely wife banned all alcohol from boat and home after my stroke because she might get obnoxious drinking it (as if) and cause me to have another, but beer was never my thing and at the risk of upsetting more natives, returning local watery beer to the water is hardly a protest, more like a public service. I wouldn't waste good wine, Gin or scotch however, not that I'm allowed any now of course, but I can still dream...
Old 01-04-2016, 12:50   #40
CLOD

well you didn't say rot gut beer