Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-05-2016, 04:04   #46

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: VOIP Alternatives to Skype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
For me the big issue is intrusion of privacy, and for that Google is far worse than M$. Facebook is now in the running. And LinkedIn as well. Personally I do not want any corporate or government entity reading my address book and my emails (gmail does that). Those of you using Google Docs have allowed Google to scan your documents to learn your interests. At least some of the photo sites have agreements that assign the copyrights to them (ever read the fine print?). George Orwell would be incredulous. So while I have no illegal activities to hide, I do try to avoid such services.
Yes, my concern too.

Blasted Google nearly scammed my email address and home address and phone number out of me yesterday. I ordered yet another Jabsco pump on-line and a pop up appeared after I paid for it saying "Get free purchaser protection for this purchase. Register with Google Payment Protection for free payment protection from a Google Trusted Store". What happens next: they are able with my agreement now given, to get information from their retailer partner. Post address, phone number and name. Now they will have the lot on you. More useful info than the government or any extortionist has. From all the searches and ad tracker info they can then link to this data they will know everything about you, everything you have searched for or written on forums, maybe written on Gmail, Everything except what goes on in your bedroom, but maybe you have talked about that on your silly Facebook page? Chilling.

Information is power and I'm not giving power over me to a mega corp or anyone. Stuff off Google.

Old 19-05-2016, 04:12   #47

Boat: Oyster 66

[QUOTE=CarinaPDX;2123895...an Asterisk VOIP server (spend $50 for a bridge to POTS), This would be set up at home, and accessed from anywhere via the internet. Of course that implies you have a house full time, and pay for internet access full time.

Greg[/QUOTE]

I like that idea. I've not looked at telephony technology for a while. Amazing how it has developed and so fast.

Do you use it? Does it work well? Can you make a gateway into the mobile network too (to use up pre-paid minutes)? What happens if your PC crashes whilst you are away? Can it be secured by a firewall?

Old 19-05-2016, 05:32   #48

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Skype is like the European Union -- seduces and bribes you with incredible audio quality and universality (free trade and open borders), then screws you with everything else.
One other good thing the EU has brought is a continual lowering of roaming charges within the EU. These will virtually be eliminated by June 15, 2017.

Some carriers, such as Vodafone in Spain, have anticipated this by launching cost-free roaming in the EU and US.

It is not clear at this point if Brits will benefit from the EU initiative!
Old 19-05-2016, 06:11   #49

What's the deal with so many calls being made with land lines? All I can think of is reliability and quality. If the cell connections to the www were of sufficient quality and reliability... there's no reason that a VOIP type calling could not become the standard method for calling... aside from local calling withing one's cell phone "package". If that is the case calling should be inexpensive to free... supported by all the annoying ads that are allover the www.
Old 19-05-2016, 12:49   #50

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I like that idea. I've not looked at telephony technology for a while. Amazing how it has developed and so fast.

Do you use it? Does it work well? Can you make a gateway into the mobile network too (to use up pre-paid minutes)? What happens if your PC crashes whilst you are away? Can it be secured by a firewall?
My brother has Asterisk running on a server, and has a bridge (actually 2 IIRC) from there to his POTS lines. He got a block of 5 numbers from the telco. This is his home/office phone 24/7, and has been for years. It works quite well. My tablet is running CSipSimple (SIP client) to make an extension of his phone system. Basically I am on his local PBX, and can dial out to POTS (I only use it for local calls - don't want to run up his bills).

I am unaware of an internet-cell bridge, but that doesn't mean much - it could exist I suppose.

Any server will have a firewall capability, and optionally reboot after power fail. Professional grade servers are monitored and reboot on hang, but this may exist in some of the less expensive ones.

If the goal is to have a US local number anywhere in the world via internet then consider MagicJack - look it up.

Greg
Old 20-05-2016, 00:19   #51

Been using WhatsApp with my daughter who lives in Italy. Audio call quality is excellent.
Old 20-05-2016, 01:17   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
I used Telenor when I was there for a week in 2014. Don't remember the cost but you can check here:
Montenegro - Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki - Wikia

You can buy a SIM at kiosks where they also sell newspapers and soft-drinks. There is one very near the customs pier in Zelenika.
Thanks.
Old 20-05-2016, 05:20   #53

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorsocal View Post

-clip-

Tell who to go to for my communications needs and I will be one very happy camper!!!!

Skype is not an option.

They can rot in well you get the idea..... where.

This is a very well-informed discussion. There are many options to Skype; I personally don't like it but a friend who's very tech-savvy has been using Skype-in with his cell phone for years.

I used to be a heavy Vonage advocate (used my islandtimepc.com setup of WiFi to feed their router) until they stopped supporting that mode and required a hard-line cable or DSL input. Getting and making 'local' calls from anywhere in the world was a gas. As I wasn't one to carry a cell internationally at the time, doing it only on the boat wasn't an issue for me.

With only a couple of exceptions, however, and the very large caveat that you either have to have a cell or WiFi connection (myhttp://islandtimepc.com/id17.html setup could provide that if I had the anomaly of a strong WiFi but no cell available) to make it work, what I use now pleases me greatly.

Rather than repeat it all, my article on international cell phone hack (International Cell Phone Hack - no cell phone minutes or texts bill, just data...) covers what I have done.

It also acts as my internet access, providing local (on the boat, or wherever I happen to be, such as now when I'm sitting next to my granddaughter in a home which has no internet).

YMMV as to what data plan you may have, of course, but reading the thread shows that there are cheap plans afoot around the world.

One very large US gotcha is that T-Mobile, for some reason, makes receiving incoming VOICE on Hangouts not work. So, while their $30/mo 5GB-128k-after unlimited service attractive, not receiving calls is simply unacceptable. Hours on tech support with both Google and TM (should be BM!) prove it unable to be resolved, so I'll have to do something else in the US. But in the Bahamas, at least, I just loved being able to take tech-support calls from my 90-year old MIL while I was walking in downtown Marsh Harbour!

Those of you who detest anything Google (I happen to like them a LOT, as they've made me a pile from my investment before the split - about a 150% ROI) have other options which will behave similarly, with other hangout-similar programs.

L8R, y'all
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 06:27   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
Been using WhatsApp with my daughter who lives in Italy. Audio call quality is excellent.
Awesome tip.

My wife and I just tried our WhatsApp... Wow! The connection is far superior to the Verizon to Vodaphone we'd been using to communicate USA to Italy.. where my wife was always having trouble hearing me. I'd blamed it on the iPhone case, but now I know it wasn't the case at all.

WhatsApp is much improved from a year ago.

Of course, then I burned though my Vodafone 2€ credit texting everyone to download the Whatsapp, no now I have take the Brompton into town to recharge the account before they shut off my phone. The online Vodafone recharge service isn't available to us foreigners.
Old 20-05-2016, 16:20   #55

Boat: Grampian 26

For about two years I used an Obi box. Mine is the version prior to the current Obi110 which cost $69 (mine was about $35 at the time)... I should mention that I didn't actually use it on the boat since I didn't have my sailboat yet, but I'. going to do that soon.

Anyway, it's a one time charge for the Obi box, which you connect one wire to your router and another to a standard line line phone. Then configure the set-up with your free Google Voice account...

What you end up with: Anyone can dial your google phone number from any phone, You answer and place calls to any phone on your attached telephone as normal - and there are absolutely no fees involved! No long distance fees either.. the only drawback is something about not being able to dial 911..

I used this setup for a couple years as my only phone at home, and had no problems with it at all -- as long as the internet was working.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: