Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-05-2016, 09:32   #31

Re: VOIP Alternatives to Skype?

Take a look at Google Hangouts as well. I've had that work fairly well even on a dirty 3g connection. There is an app for Android as well as iPhone and a business version which will allow more than 10 users at once which is the limit of the free app. Ties is with Gmail and Google Calendar as well to make setting up meetings very simple.

Old 18-05-2016, 09:41   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
I used Telenor when I was there for a week in 2014. Don't remember the cost but you can check here:
Montenegro - Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki - Wikia

You can buy a SIM at kiosks where they also sell newspapers and soft-drinks. There is one very near the customs pier in Zelenika.
Hey, this:

Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki - Wikia

Is a fantastic resource! Thanks for the tip!

Old 18-05-2016, 09:53   #33

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

I used Viber last summer when my daughter was in the Caribbean and I was in South Carolina and had great reception. Any time both parties has internet, you can use Viber and it's free.
Old 18-05-2016, 14:38   #34

I use Skype and Skype for Business and like them both but i am biased since i work for Microsoft. I am assuming you are not finding malware in the product but don't like the way it updates without asking. I'm so used to getting all kinds of updates pushed down I've not noticed anything different about Skype. However, with that being said, you can define metered connections on Windows 10 which prevents updates from occurring while on a metered connection. Think of it as an LTE modem on your device for example. That should be detected as metered.

The client knows it should update and the OS should set the parameters of when the update occurs. This feature is also in Windows 8.x but does not exist in older versions.

I will say that if you refuse all updates for a long enough period of time your client may not be allowed to connect to the backend servers. I saw this happen to Linux clients that never updated. Once they updated Skype allowed the connection.

Good luck with your search!
Old 18-05-2016, 14:47   #35

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I lament the explosion of incompatible voice/video web applications - a virtual Tower of Babel. For now I am sticking with Skype in spite of its disadvantages, because I have friends who are still on it, but the time may come when I get fed up with M$'s intrusive activities.

The quality of VOIP/SIP services really depends on the codecs used, which is negotiated at the start of the connection. Some of the better codecs are paid options, even with free apps, but will do no good unless the server (or the other end of the call) also has them. For my Mac with 10.6.8 I have found Jitsi to be a good client; it is written in Java and is available for Windows and Linux as well. It does have a lot of other capabilities but so far I am only using it to make calls out to POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) through my brother's Asterisk server. If you can find a SIP service that meets your need give this a try. On my Android devices I use CSipSimple, which has been doing a good job.

Greg
Old 18-05-2016, 16:51   #36

Boat: Custom Bruce Roberts 370
Send a message via Skype™ to BWSJWS

No one has mentioned Google hangouts. Just like skype both parties need to use the same interface (google in the case of Hangouts and skype in the case of Skype) and you can have a multi person call with hangouts where as with skype I think you need the business plan for that. I use Neptulink, a 3g/4g antenna and signal booster for connectivity to the internet (fantastic system) and either, skype, what's app, google hangouts, facetime or my mexican phone number..... it has never been easier or better to use the internet while at sea and underway. 2GreatGuys Inc.
BWSJWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 16:57   #37

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I cannot join the Skype haters who seem numerous here on CF. The service works well when the internet connection is good (about half the time for my free marina provided service. Its cheap and only charges for calls to non skype phones. World wide calling is cheap and easy. As for unwanted downloads or slowing my start up, I use WinPatrol, one of many management programs that lets me control the start menue and disable automatic updates.
Old 18-05-2016, 17:20   #38

Boat: Oyster 66

I use FaceTime in preference to anything else. Only IThing to IThing though. Best sound and few drop outs. Next is the O2 app (need an O2 contract though).
Third choice is Skype. Voice quality isn't as good as the others and more drop outs.
Old 18-05-2016, 17:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I cannot join the Skype haters who seem numerous here on CF.
I'm not seeing a lot of haters here - that implies an emotional position. It is simply a question of value received versus costs and overhead. In my experience Skype has usually worked well, within the limitations of bandwidth. The computer to computer service is free, at least as far as money paid to M$ is concerned. Indirectly it can be expensive on cell networks, as it uses peer-to-peer technology requiring connections to multiple other users. IIRC a few years ago M$ pushed more networking loads on some clients with large bandwidths available but I think that has been made to exclude cell IPs. The auto downloading of updates is being pushed aggressively by M$, among others, so not a battle we are likely to win; it is up to each of us to acquire a means of blocking them until convenient. (I just ran Skype and it asked me if I wanted to download an update - so with the right settings it still behaves well, at least on a Mac.)

For me the big issue is intrusion of privacy, and for that Google is far worse than M$. Facebook is now in the running. And LinkedIn as well. Personally I do not want any corporate or government entity reading my address book and my emails (gmail does that). Those of you using Google Docs have allowed Google to scan your documents to learn your interests. At least some of the photo sites have agreements that assign the copyrights to them (ever read the fine print?). George Orwell would be incredulous. So while I have no illegal activities to hide, I do try to avoid such services.

Something to consider is setting up your own cloud services. If you get internet access with a fixed IP address you can do that easily with a NAS (Network Attached Storage) box, which would enable a RAID storage for backups and sharing, an Asterisk VOIP server (spend $50 for a bridge to POTS), your own cloud backups for contacts/calendar/tasks across devices, and other services. This would be set up at home, and accessed from anywhere via the internet. Of course that implies you have a house full time, and pay for internet access full time.

Greg
Old 18-05-2016, 18:41   #40

Boat: Liberty 458

Facebook messenger and google hangouts, biba, etc.

We just use whichever works best on the day.

If skype or hangouts or messenge wish to mine my data then go for it. It's of no value to anyone.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-05-2016, 18:44   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
If skype or hangouts or messenge wish to mine my data then go for it. It's of no value to anyone.
It's actually worth more than $500/person to Google. We (or our information) is the product Google sells to stay in business. And that's just Google.

Greg
Old 18-05-2016, 20:53   #42

Boat: Whidby 42

Funny this comes up now. I am about to go to the Philippines and wanted a good reliable way to stay in contact with my broker among others. I haven't used my Skype account in years and when I went to get in could not remember my password. To make a long story short, can't get them to release it or reset the password. My two emails seem to be associated with it and therefore I can't even set up a new account without creating a new email account! I couldn't believe the crap I have gone through to try to get the account resolved. I am looking for my own solution and would love it it allowed me to call my broker from a WiFi connection in the Philippines on his normal phone. Tell me how to avoid the Skype monster that now has put me on a personal mission to never ever utilize them as they have been so annoying with freeing up my old account etc.

Tell who to go to for my communications needs and I will be one very happy camper!!!!

Skype is not an option.

They can rot in well you get the idea..... where.

Old 18-05-2016, 21:11   #43

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I use Skype for business calls from my boat or anywhere to overseas sites where I have projects. I use on my Verizon data plan using a MyFi and It is pennies per minute from US to Japan. I use GoToMeeting over my Verizon data plan for video and audio calls. I generally use my MacBook Pro for GoToMeeting conferences and either the Mac or IPad for Skype calls. I also have Skype on my IPhone and it works well too. I have an annual subscription to GoToMeeting for $328 per year. This is for up to 26 people at a single video conference and the audio portion is free when used on a wifi system. You vpcan also use a phone for the audio portion of GoToMeeting which could be skype if you have the wifi bandwidth. I use a good Bose noise cancelling headset for my calls and GoToMeeting sessions.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-05-2016, 23:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I lament the explosion of incompatible voice/video web applications - a virtual Tower of Babel. For now I am sticking with Skype in spite of its disadvantages, because I have friends who are still on it, but the time may come when I get fed up with M$'s intrusive activities.
Actually, with Skype and some other services, there is no incompatibility issue. I can call any phone number pretty much world wide and likewise receive calls.
Old 19-05-2016, 00:05   #45

There is no compatibility problem as long as the other end is a POTS phone. To talk to another computer Skype only talks to Skype, FaceTime to FaceTime, etc. Skype, and most of its competitors, do not use standard SIP interfaces and codecs so they can't talk to each other.

Greg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: