Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 06:09   #16

Re: VOIP Alternatives to Skype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Is there workaround the entire inviting friends game? Is there a way to just dial up a number regardless of whether or not the person on the receiving end is using Skype?

Is there a service where I can simply dial a number?
They charge for the service but you can call out to phone numbers from Skype and you can have a phone number assigned so they don't know it's a Skype number when they call in.

The only real downside is it shows random numbers so if the other end is screening calls they may not answer.

It's pretty cheap especially if you are doing international calls which are still on the order of a $1/min for a regular call and pennies thru Skype.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 06:29   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I'm surprised no one has suggested Google Hangouts. Now, I don't know the data amount that it uses or privacy issues (it is Google afterall), but I'm sure that is a concern, it's discussed out there in the interweb.

I've gone away from Skype to Hangouts, and it certainly does everything I want it to do.
Old 18-05-2016, 06:38   #18

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

We are using VSEE for calls back home. I have NOT found another voip program that is as efficient, even with video. We easily make calls on crappy 3G metered connections. It also uses a fraction of the "call home" that Skype uses. It was originally developed for Dr.s to talk with patients over very poor connections and using very little data.

Unfortunately, the people you wsnt to talk with need to have the applications installed. It doesn't have a service out to phones.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 06:43   #19

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I'm surprised no one has suggested Google Hangouts. Now, I don't know the data amount that it uses or privacy issues (it is Google afterall), but I'm sure that is a concern, it's discussed out there in the interweb.

I've gone away from Skype to Hangouts, and it certainly does everything I want it to do.

We use Hangouts too, but I think it's only good in the US...maybe Canada too.

Matt
Old 18-05-2016, 07:31   #20

Boat: Grand Banks 50

WhatsApp now also makes VoIP calls.

For conference calls I have only used Skype and Google Hangouts.

I also use a service called Vyke. In addition to Voip and "Skype-out" type calls it also gives you the option to make "2 stage calls" and "callback" calls. What is nice about these last two types of calls is that they do not require Internet access, neither Wi-Fi nor 3G/4G.

They work by making a local GSM call and then connecting to the final number. You pay Vyke for the international call at a couple of cents per minute and your SIM provider for the local call over GSM.

This feature is only of interest if you have a local SIM card so local calls are also cheap and when in situations with poor or non-existent data coverage. I often choose it for important business calls where I don't want to risk the call quality fading at a critical point in the conversation.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:49   #21

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Works just fine in the bahamas and any place else other than mexico where you have to adequate quit band with a data plan
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:50   #22

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

The dictation apologies
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:51   #23

Two words. Republic Wireless. You buy a phone from them and then decide whether you want it all wifi or wifi /wireless. I use the combo and my bill is $12.63 per month.

I use it in my condo where I have ver poor cell reception and up in BC where I have no reception. You can pay more if you want data on the cell function or not. The phones are Android
cragowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:56   #24

Voice and video chat with Google. Can also call via Gmail. Global coverage.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:57   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
. . .
I also use a service called Vyke. In addition to Voip and "Skype-out" type calls it also gives you the option to make "2 stage calls" and "callback" calls. What is nice about these last two types of calls is that they do not require Internet access, neither Wi-Fi nor 3G/4G.. . .
I used callback and two-stage calls during practically the whole '90's and 00's starting with the original Kallback and ending up with Globaltel.

They were revolutionary at the time and saved me a ton of money.

I think I still have a Globaltel account but haven't used it in years. I use some form of VOIP for almost everything now, and the occasional plain phone call is done with local sim cards. Even one or two European SIM cards solve a lot of calling problems because calling within the EU with an EU phone has now become quite reasonable, especially for RECEIVING calls, which is only 0.05p per minute anywhere in Europe on my UK PAYG phone.

The main problem has shifted from how to make calls, to how to always have Internet access. The holy grail for me would be to have one data SIM card which would work everywhere in Europe for the same decent rate -- no more than 10 euros per gigabyte? I pay only 2 or 3 euros per gigabyte in some Scandinavian countries, but it can be a real pain to change SIM cards in every country.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:57   #26

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I've recently started using facebook messenger for calls to the parents... I know facebook is evil, so there are better options in this thread already, but it's easy and might help in certain circumstances.

I just read a story about how far down hill skype has gone since M$ bought them. Lots of bugs that aren't being fixed, constants updates, crappy reliability, etc.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:57   #27

Boat: Outremer 42

Have a look at WeChat. Chinese and may sift out some data that I don't know about but gives (IMO) better quality than skype and less dropping out
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:58   #28

I use Skype, Skype out, FaceTime and occasionally whatsapp for voip calls. I have viber installed but keep getting spam text messages on it.

I don't need to use Skype out often, my credit balance does not move much so I've never worried about its cost.

I must look at this "malware" claim about Skype especially as I'll be back in Greece soon and on a prepaid sim with costly data

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-05-2016, 08:09   #29
cruiser

We'll be in Montenegro for most of July. Does anyone know the carrier over there for SIM cards and the cost?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:27   #30

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We'll be in Montenegro for most of July. Does anyone know the carrier over there for SIM cards and the cost?
I used Telenor when I was there for a week in 2014. Don't remember the cost but you can check here:
Montenegro - Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki - Wikia

You can buy a SIM at kiosks where they also sell newspapers and soft-drinks. There is one very near the customs pier in Zelenika.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote