Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 12:47   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Vespa Scooter on My Boat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
My situation is different in that I expect to be in isolated areas, if you are going from one civilized are to another, I'd rent it!
In that case you'd probably be better off with a horse............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 13:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
In that case you'd probably be better off with a horse............
Yes, I agree, if they rent horses in the civilized areas....

What is changing my mind on trying to take the Transalp is that so many of the larger docks/ramps have steps with hand rails, not sure I could get it off at just any dock. Draft is another problem, if I have a 4 or 5' draft that means I'd have to pull along side the shore and unless it's deep water I might need a heck of a ramp or boom for loading.

I'd really like to take my Vulcan 1600!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 13:48   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Forgo the Vespa, instead utilizing the cargo capacity (weight & space) for cash; which you can use to rent transportation locally.
True, most places I have been in asia have Yamaha Nouvo (135cc and big seat for 2) or similar for around $3 a day

Old 13-01-2012, 15:10   #34

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Gord on this one !!heck Ive rented a Carabou(spl) and a cart to get stuff from the village a couple of times in the pacific LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 23:54   #35

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Anyone with a Segway on board?
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 01:47   #36

Boat: Islander 36

I've been down the folding bicycle trail. Too bulky for as little as they got used.
I still have my DiBlasi 49cc stainless steel frame (Mariner model) looking for a new home.

i also picked up a pair of Gopeds and a pair of adult Razor scooters. The Razor scooters get used by far more than the Gopeds. So the Gopeds will be looking for new homes as well.

I know the Razor scooters are not for long distance, but they sure fit nicely in taxis, buses and even in shopping carts. What I'm saying is, I no longer worry if they will be there when I come out of the the grocery store.

Any takers on my DiBlasi?
Old 14-01-2012, 04:00   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Any takers on my DiBlasi?
Can you deliver?...........for a test ride

As I mentioned before, have my eyes on an Electric version - but that one for later in the year.
Old 16-01-2012, 07:13   #38

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Those little wheels not going to work in many places with less the smooth roads.
You probably be better off with a old mountain bike.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:37   #39

When I was a kid they had a small engine that had a groved wheel on the shaft. It mounted on just about any bike, including the old Schwin Stingray under the banana seat and it would drop down on the tire by flipping a lever. They still around?
But I still want my touring bike! LOL
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 03:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
Those little wheels not going to work in many places with less the smooth roads.
You probably be better off with a old mountain bike.
Tom

Reporting back on the adult Razor scooters. First of all, they don't have the little rollerblade wheels. The wheels are about 7" I think.

The scooters work beautifully and have been a big hit. I was told that the marina in La Paz that I'm in is ordering 5 of them after seeing me get around on mine.
Old 15-02-2012, 03:28   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Reporting back on the adult Razor scooters. First of all, they don't have the little rollerblade wheels. The wheels are about 7" I think.

The scooters work beautifully and have been a big hit. I was told that the marina in La Paz that I'm in is ordering 5 of them after seeing me get around on mine.
I certainly agree that a big wheeled scooter would have advantages over Vespa scooter sized (or less)....and would be my pick, if all other things were equal.............but, one of the tricks to coping with small wheels is speed, mostly that involves not travelling at 80mph (my 125cc Vespa will just about do that, downhill with a following wind - and it feels like the EOTW is approaching ) - but sometimes small wheels involves using more power and not less.

FWIW, yesterday I had a trip to the Supermarket (from home - not boat) - managed to fit on the Vespa 2 weeks worth of shopping (albeit for only 1 person - but about 10 plastic bags worth....and still had room for more ). Admittedly only a 1/2 mile trip each way and I didn't get much above 30mph (plenty of power - to go faster, albeit some loss of stability but nothing major - and 30mph is the speed limit for those roads).....I could have used shank's pony - but would have been a few trips. and I is lazy.........only mention that because a bit of transport does open up loads of possibilities when it comes to boats.....and with a bit of inventiveness is surprising how much can be stuffed onto a Scooter (spending time in SE Asia helped me on that ).

Hell, I have even used the Scooter to carry surprisingly large parts of boat from home back to the boat (parking is easier than with the car)....albeit sometimes one is hoping not to meet Mr Plod along the route......
Old 15-02-2012, 08:18   #42

Quote:
Yes, I know, I have one, but they are solid rubber and will not work too well on rough paved roads, let alone unpaved ones.
Tom
Old 15-02-2012, 16:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Yes, I know, I have one, but they are solid rubber and will not work too well on rough paved roads, let alone unpaved ones.
Tom
What is this "will not work"?

Of course the smoother the pavement, the more comfortable the ride. I ride mine everywhere in La Paz. The streets and sidewalks ARE rough, and although I would love to have them all smooth I get around really great.

One of my least favorite rides is the malecon with it's concrete "tile". But it is still so much faster (and more lazy) than walking (read EZ on the feet), more easy to stow, and I can ride it places where you cannot take a bike. Yes, there are places where a bike can go that I can't on the scooter. If I have to pick up all 9 pounds of it and carry it, I do NOT think to myself, "man, I sure wish I had my folding bikes back".

You are right. Unpaved roads are not workable for them. But again, why go the the worst case scenario rather than the most common scenario? I can throw the thing in a bus or taxi with and go anywhere they go. I can put it in the shopping cart when I go inside and it still loves me. I do not have to give up deck space or living space to store it. In fact, you could have both, the bike and the scooter and most likely not even notice the small space these things take up if you never used them.
Old 16-02-2012, 06:01   #44

Quote:
What is this "will not work"?

Of course the smoother the pavement, the more comfortable the ride. I ride mine everywhere in La Paz. The streets and sidewalks ARE rough, and although I would love to have them all smooth I get around really great.

One of my least favorite rides is the malecon with it's concrete "tile". But it is still so much faster (and more lazy) than walking (read EZ on the feet), more easy to stow, and I can ride it places where you cannot take a bike. Yes, there are places where a bike can go that I can't on the scooter. If I have to pick up all 9 pounds of it and carry it, I do NOT think to myself, "man, I sure wish I had my folding bikes back".

You are right. Unpaved roads are not workable for them. But again, why go the the worst case scenario rather than the most common scenario?
I guess it depends on how far you going and how good your knees are
With rough payment there is more friction and its a lot more work, and the vibration is transmitted directly to the lower joints, for trips less than a mile or so, I prefer to walk.
No doubt its much easier to stow than any bike, I have the "Razor A5 LUX Adult Folding Aluminum Kick Scooter", so its also suitable to the marine environment.
I mention the rough roads because many cruisers go where the roads a rough. But given a smooth road that is slightly downhill....ahhhh
Tom