Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 19:38   #16

Re: Very curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
SA troll?

Great question, though.
This is pretty insulting when somebody calls your first posts a troll.

New sailors might ask questions that you feel are obvious, but it doesn't give you the right to bully or ridicule. If you don't like the question, move on; don't insult the OP.
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:45   #17

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

That's because there not a real forum there a joke and not sailors unless you consider lazy boy a boat brand. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:57   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

If you are more into the motoring and less into the sailing, you can sometimes find a smaller twin diesel catamaran that has lost its rig. There was one posted on the cheap multis thread (Catalac, I think), just a short while ago. Asking was something like 20k, but I would be surprised if they got anywhere close to that.

On your budget, don't try and go big. If anything major goes wrong on the boat the cost would likely ruin you financially. Why not take a look at some of the smaller trawlers like the albin 27? Those are routinely available for less than $15k I think, and have either a diesel or an outboard, so you can take your choice plus, it can be trailered for cheaper than you could motor it if there are any sections of the journey that you would like o skip!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:00   #19

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
This is pretty insulting when somebody calls your first posts a troll.

New sailors might ask questions that you feel are obvious, but it doesn't give you the right to bully or ridicule. If you don't like the question, move on; don't insult the OP.

Whoa there, take it down a notch, I saw nothing insulting in Stu asking a legitimate question. Maybe if you had been around this forum for more than two weeks you'd be aware of the past SA trolling. As I see it the only insulting post on this thread is yours. The golden rule on here is "Be nice".
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:38   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Hey John, forgot the GB was a wood boat but is a good example of how cool the classic trawlers look to me. Wood won't be a deal breaker for me when the time comes.

Figured the price is a little rich and would be for me as well. A friend has a neat old Marine Trader? with a Ford Lehyman six valued around 20k that has the same look and plenty of room. Motored around with him one day and enjoyed it. Been under the floor boards helping with maintenance and it looked well built to me.

The Albin 27 brownoarsman mentioned is another super cool looker I've been on, too. Same little Yanmar diesel my boat has, so reliable and easy on the fuel budget.

Don't go for a project boat. With time and a little luck you can find a boat that someone actually used regularly and maybe sat idle for a short time while the owner came to the realization that it was time to let her go.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:10   #21

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyo View Post
Hey ...at single engine boats but if something happens to the engine out to sea I'm stuck.
That's the beauty of a Sailboat.... The Sails & engine are redundant propulsion systems... If something happens to one, you use the other...

This is a fun stage you're in and I would suggest taking the opportunity to do a lot of reading and research right out of the gate! Not only does an afternoon at the local book store offer a ton of reference but you could also score some good coffee and cake while you're there....
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:34   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Very curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyo View Post
Hey guys and gals,
I am in the about to stage of looking for a 26-47 ft boat to live aboard and hopefully travel the Greater Loop and the Caribbean on. I really like the diesel engine boats,(being an ex truck driver for the past 30 years) but at the same time I like outboard engines. I've thought about getting a shallow draft twin keel sailboat and putting one or two electric engines on the back and also a 150 hp outboard as backup plus the sails. I've never sailed or even been on the ocean for more than a few hours in a decent sized boat. I don't mind learning to sail but I want to be able to get to safety should the weather go to getting a bit nasty. I've also thought of a sailboat and putting outboards on the back maybe 200-300hp but most sailors get nervous when the boat gets upwards of 15 knots. I've also been looking at single engine boats but if something happens to the engine out to sea I'm stuck. I know a lot of the Greater Loopers are on single engine boats but like I said I'd like to travel as far as Puerto Rico. Is it safe to do so on a single engine boat say like a trawler. I know some or most say they are for long distance cruising but the single engine and speed thing bothers me. I'm not wealthy or have a bit of money as I'm on disability.
Any insight you have to share would be greatly appreciated, Thankz.
Sailboat.. strap on 2 diesel OB's
Trawler slap on a 50hp diesel OB for back up... Sorted.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:57   #23

First let me say a big Thank You to everyone for all your wisdom and insights.
This column is definitely a wealth of knowledge and experience. I was never insulted by what someone said. I am new here too and the only way to learn is by asking questions and getting answers. I think a trawler is the way to go too,now.I still love the sailboats,cats and Trimarans. But yea,I think a trawler is my best option although I am looking at some of the smaller boats 24 to 30 foot as well. I just want something small enough easily and go out into the blue but not really any ocean crosser. the ability to cruise 300 miles or more on a tank a fuel is what I'm hoping for and trawlers do that easily. But I'm still looking and learning more everyday. Again thank you all very much.
Johnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:22   #24

Ok, I have one other question. My boat will be in the Houston-Beaumont Texas area. I know that it will be needing some work The hull will be in good shape and the motor hopefully decent,But if I want to change up the interior and rebuild the motor(s),Where would I be able to get quality work done cheaper? USA,Canada,Caribbean,Mexico,or Central America. I know work here in the states and Canada would be great but expensive. I trust Mexican auto and upholstery work but no nothing about their skills where boats are concerned. There's a German girl on youtube who bought a sailboat in Panama and basically completely fixed it there, Lots of work and rebuilding.
I can do some of the work myself but the interior wood work and wiring I don't trust myself. I have a pacemaker and working with electric scares the heck out of me.
Johnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:56   #25

The more you do yourself the more you will save... and you will know that much more if you ever have an issue on the water...
Old 06-02-2016, 15:35   #26

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Sailor View Post
The more you do yourself the more you will save... and you will know that much more if you ever have an issue on the water...
Hey there Johnyo, if you and your boat are in Texas, I don't see the wisdom of coming to Canada for repair work due to cost of freighting the boat here.
On the other hand, just in case you're not aware, the Canadian dollar has recently taken a severe beating on the Stock Market; It is currently valued around U$0.72c ... in other words, you're getting a 30% discount right off the top if you choose to bring your business here ... just sayin' ...
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Hey there Johnyo, if you and your boat are in Texas, I don't see the wisdom of coming to Canada for repair work due to cost of freighting the boat here.
On the other hand, just in case you're not aware, the Canadian dollar has recently taken a severe beating on the Stock Market; It is currently valued around U$0.72c ... in other words, you're getting a 30% discount right off the top if you choose to bring your business here ... just sayin' ...
Economics... Wins every time ... Lol
Old 15-02-2016, 18:09   #28

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

I'd think the stock market and the currency market are two very different beasts.
By the way, probably the "discount" one can get somewhere due to currency depreciation will apply only to labour, not to parts and materials and such.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 19:03   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Just because they are both called "dollars", doesn't mean they are the same currency.

Saying it will cost less because the Canadian dollar is worth less than the US dollar is like saying it costs more in the Philippines because you pay more pesos for the same job.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 00:21   #30

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

All I will say is, our local marina is bulging with US customers. You can always contact them and get a quote ... if anyone is interested, I'll post a link.
SVEN I meant the money market, not the Stock market. Sometimes I type faster than I think.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote