Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-10-2014, 11:03   #1

Vending from your boat?

If you are in a marina for several months, can you vend from your boat. We are divers and always have fish and lobster, baked goods, BBQ,, etc. Or does the marina frown on such activities.

Old 26-10-2014, 11:25   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Vending from your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperado View Post
If you are in a marina for several months, can you vend from your boat. We are divers and always have fish and lobster, baked goods, BBQ,, etc. Or does the marina frown on such activities.
Commercial fishing license? Restaurant license? Business license? Zoning? If overseas, permit to work.

The marina will not be the only challenge.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 12:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

You can do as you please but if you breach local laws (written or otherwise) you may/will get punished.

In some countries it is illegal for foreign boats to fish or take other marine life and sell it.

I think most marina personnel will be your last worry unless it is a posh place.

b.
Old 26-10-2014, 12:45   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"We are divers and always have fish and lobster, "
Be very careful about that. In most or all of the US, even salt water fishing is highly regulated and lobstering even more so. If a conservation officer comes around and you've got fish and lobsters that are too small, or "wrong" in any other way, they can often confiscate any equipment that was used in the illegal catch. Literally including your boat.
And as thinwater said, that's just the start of it. Any "food" type of business will be heavily regulated as well, cooked or raw. Any regular "sales" and there's a sales tax license and remittance to be made as well.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:22   #5

Thanks for you insight. I was hoping to make a few extra $$. I just need to figure out how to work around some of those obstacles. We will be in the Grenadines.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:51   #6

Boat: Morris Frances 26

Honestly, I would not expect you to last more than a few hours... Followed by fines, deportation and yes, maybe even without your boat.

Gil.
Old 26-10-2014, 15:33   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"We will be in the Grenadines. "

Might have said so up front. Could be a different world down there. From noonsite:

"
Fishing: The use of spearguns or quantity fishing is not allowed unless written approval is given by the Fisheries Department. One can request this permit from customs on arrival.
Trolling and handlining a few fish for one's own consumption is allowed. There is a closed season for lobsters from 1 May to 31 August, and for turtles from 1 March to 31 July. "

Sounds like foreigners selling fish might not be welcome.
Old 26-10-2014, 16:21   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperado View Post
baked goods, BBQ,, etc. .
On the baked goods and BBQs: Cruisers are often pretty stingy... When invited on board for dinner they will have a great appetite, but try to get them to pay $1 for the same food they will avoid you like the plague.
To make it worse there is a general acceptance of ideas like Pot Luck where every person brings a dish and they share it. These partys can be huge in some places and are so ingrained that doing things adifferent way may not be easy (the downside to the Pot Luck is some people bring 2 wilted lettuce leaves and some cook up an extravaganza).

In all the places I have been I havent met anyone who is a cruiser selling something, or a service, to other cruisers and made more than a dollar or two. The slight exception is selling boat junk, but dont expect a good price. Some folks who are excellent artists make jewelry and sell a few bits, but would really only make the price of a happy hour beer once per week.

One of my friends is an excellent baker and she would have a hoard of dinghies off their stern as soon as the oven door opened. However if she tried to sell the stuff for half the price of the ingredients she would have a problem... And baking on a boat has its disavantages in overn size and work top size. Doing a cake is no problem, baking 10 would be.

I still havent seen much in the way of people making a dollar and still being able to cruise.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 18:33   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think baked goods suffer from not having a propaganda machine. Folks who don't bake, or just bake from a box, have no concept of what just the "real" milk, butter, eggs, chocolate, can cost in baked goods. Forget the tins and the oven and anything else, just the raw ingredients are typically 2x or more than anyone realizes. Heck, you'd be hard pressed to bake a "simple" loaf of bread for the price it sells in the typical US supermarket. A cheesecake or chocolate mousse cake probably will have $25 worth of ingredients in it these days. Eight slices, three bucks a piece, and you're still taking a loss.

What I can't wrap my head around is this: A gallon of milk, a gallon (2x2L) of Coke, a gallon of gasoline, and they're all around the same $4. (Well, until this week.) So which part of that picture just can't be right?? Milk, gas, Coke...really all the same??
Old 26-10-2014, 18:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What I can't wrap my head around is this: A gallon of milk, a gallon (2x2L) of Coke, a gallon of gasoline, and they're all around the same $4. (Well, until this week.) So which part of that picture just can't be right?? Milk, gas, Coke...really all the same??
Years ago, in my econ class the professor said that 90% of the price of 2L bottle of Coke is the price of gas/oil. Milk is being subsidized by the gov't in most countries for the reason that if allowed to set its own market price the milk at first would be much cheaper but the producers would then collapse and the few left would raise their prices much higher than before. BTW, may be already happening. Gas at retail level is priced at whatever the market will bear but with very captive and short term inflexible buyers i.e. the drivers. Notice the difference between the price of diesel for autos, marine and home heating. 3 very different price levels for essentially the same product.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: