Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 11:05   #1

Boat: sloop 35'
Vacuum cleaner?

I've been spoiled having ac power at dock for years. Now at mooring with 12v and my trusty wet dry is rusting and old. Is there a good 12v vac? I do have an inverter but the energy conversion is not efficient. Does anyone have experience charging one of the higher quality cordless vacs with 12v ?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Vacuum cleaner?

We've been using a Black & Decker car vac we bought in San Diego about 1987. Really. It plugs into a cigarette lighter style socket. Now, I have to admit that it's getting kinda tired, but still works okay. But going that way might be a solution for you if you don't need to use it above decks.

I agree that a rechargeable would be more convenient. Maybe someone else out there knows how much one would draw?

Thanks, guys.

Ann
Old 30-05-2015, 19:54   #3

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

I use a rechargeable, forget which brand, black and yellow in color I feel, came as a set with a drill; looks like one of those dirt devil toys. Drill's good (even has a decent size chuck), but the vacuum is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 20:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

So far the rechargeable vacs I have tried were a waste. Black & Decker Dust Busters are garbage. They have minimal suction, the batteries have a short life and cost more to replace than a new Dust Buster.

I also got a similar hand vac with a Ryobi tool set that is marginally better. Slightly better suction but the batteries do last.

If you can't get 120V AC power then look for a 12V DC plug in mini canister unit.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 20:19   #5

Take rugs "upstairs" and shake 'em out.

I've never found a 12V or rechargeable vacuum that works worth shoot.

Since you have a 120V and an inverter, use it. Sure, there are inefficiencies in using an inverter, but, heck, what's it there for? Run the engine while you're using the vacuum, neither sound is wonderful, right?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 20:31   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Black and Decker Flex units are pretty good at sucking up stuff. Their filter is good and doesn't blow the dust back out at you. These are not shop vacs though.

They recharge using a wall-wart that draws a few watts from the 120V outlet. Any small inverter will power the wall-wart. It may be possible to recharge from 12V but haven't tried it. We recharge it whenever the generator runs for pulling down the freezer about an hour each day.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 20:33   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

I've been using a Makita 18V vacuum for two years now and it is awesome. Last year I even took the step of hardwiring in a 12V makita battery charger. My power tools take the same batteries so the setup works very well for me.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 23:00   #8

Boat: Norseman 400
BEST Boat Vac EVER!

DEWALT 1/2-gal. Cordless 18-Volt Wet/Dry Portable Vacuum (Tool-Only)-DC515B - The Home Depot

We have one on our boat. Love it! Use it to clean up after drilling, sanding, and even "house" cleaning. Hepa filter is expensive to change ($20) but we haven't had to change it out yet. Waiting for the after-market knock-off.

It's small. Guessing about 6" wide, 18" long, 6" tall? Great suction and fully rechargeable with either a 12v charger or 110 volt charger. You can buy attachments for it also.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:41   #9
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

I use the little rechargable Dyson. In the US it comes with an AC wall wart, but i found a 12v powersupply on my travels. Advertised as Dyson Car Charger.
The Dyson seems to clean well, but not on construction stuff - it's canister is too small.

---
Mub
Earendel
Wauquiez Centruion 47 #4
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49   #10

I would stick with 120VAC. The little tiny shop vac works very well. You really don't have to run it long right? Very nice for an occasional "get the sand out" cleanup or cleaning up after that project. I've never found a 12V that was up to the task for me.
Battery units always seem to have very limited battery life. I have one now that is only 2 years old and works pretty well. But at this point, if you don't charge it for 4 hours immediately before use. It wont work more than a few seconds.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:00   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossny View Post
I do have an inverter but the energy conversion is not efficient. Does anyone have experience charging one of the higher quality cordless vacs with 12v ?
You pay the price either way - simply using a 120V vac on the inverter or charging batteries off the inverter for a cordless vac.

How long and often do you vacuum? I can't imagine even the worse inefficient inverter costing you more than an extra amp-hour or two during a vacuum use.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:58   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

Home Depot sells the Ridgid 18V wet and dry shop vac. It has great suction but is really noisy and the lithium battery only lasts 5 or 6 minutes.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:25   #13

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

If you are living aboard a reasonably large boat, an inverter is not an unreasonable piece of boat equipment. It then allows you to vacuum with high efficiency, run power tools to make some more messes, and even charge your other portable toys. But don't waste your money on cheap inverters. You get what you pay for in this case.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 14:23   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Milwaukee makes an interesting wet and dry battery powered vacuum. Uses the same batteries as their 18v power tools. If you just getting into or thinking of buying a new battery powered drill, etc, might think about committing to the Milwaukee line. One set of charger and batteries for all your off cord tools. Most of the other tool makers also make a similar battery powered vacuum. I'm partial to Milwaukee, love that red.
Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Wet/Dry Vacuum (Tool-Only)-0880-20 - The Home Depot

Currently have a 2000 watt inverter and use a small Home Depot Wet and Dry Shop Vac. The inverter allows to me to use most of my corded power tools so a very handy addition. The inverter is a cheap Xantrex which works fine powering everything except some electronically speed controlled tools, specifically a Bosch Saber Saw. The saw is just dead when plugged into the inverter. Will work with a micro wave if I stoop so low as to install one. A lower wattage inverter would probably work just as well but check your tool requirements to be sure of enough wattage.
Stinger 2.5-gal. Wet/Dry Vacuum-WD2025 - The Home Depot
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 21:18   #15

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

We have one of the Dyson stick vacuums. The charger runs from a 12 volt wall wart, so a socket and wire will plug it in to your 12 volts. It won't do water, but it's great on cabin soles, upholstery, cleaning up woodworking messes, etc.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote