Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-06-2015, 12:32   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Vacuum cleaner?

I will freely admit that I've seen my wife, Nancie, wrap masking tape, sticky side out, around her feet and then prance about the cabin in pattern that omits no surface. She will occasionally slide a step to the side to expose a fresh stcky surface rotated around her foot.

I have my own job descriptions on board,- I'm a fortunate man!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:59   #17

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

I have been using a Milwaukee 28VDC wet and dry shop vac with a hepa filter works fantastic can vacuum the whole boat without recharging and no cords to trip over. The vacuum power is comparable to a 110VAC shop vac. The bonus is the same battery fits the 28VDC right angle drill that we use as a power winch. Still need a inverter to charge the battery though.

Old 08-06-2015, 13:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I will freely admit that I've seen my wife, Nancie, wrap masking tape, sticky side out, around her feet and then prance about the cabin in pattern that omits no surface. She will occasionally slide a step to the side to expose a fresh stcky surface rotated around her foot.

I really think you need to post a video.
Old 08-06-2015, 13:16   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Meta Dalu 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

We have two vacuums. The larger one is a Panasonic canister type that runs on AC only. Great for the once a week cleaning. Needs either shore power or inverter.

The other is a hand held Ryobi https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/265 shown without the 18v battery of which I have four for all my power drills, impact wrench, grinders etc. Good system. Used with a 12v charger for the batteries no inverter is needed ever.

completion by Peter Smith
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 13:30   #20
cruiser

The Boat Galley website has reviews on vacuums:

Vacuum Recommendations
Old 08-06-2015, 19:44   #21

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Northwestsailor: this ryobi is actually what I tried using and found it totally ineffective (plus, battery lasts only a few minutes). I found it creates much more noise than suction.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-06-2015, 10:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Milwaukee makes an interesting wet and dry battery powered vacuum. Uses the same batteries as their 18v power tools. If you just getting into or thinking of buying a new battery powered drill, etc, might think about committing to the Milwaukee line. One set of charger and batteries for all your off cord tools. Most of the other tool makers also make a similar battery powered vacuum. I'm partial to Milwaukee, love that red.
Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Wet/Dry Vacuum (Tool-Only)-0880-20 - The Home Depot

Currently have a 2000 watt inverter and use a small Home Depot Wet and Dry Shop Vac. The inverter allows to me to use most of my corded power tools so a very handy addition. The inverter is a cheap Xantrex which works fine powering everything except some electronically speed controlled tools, specifically a Bosch Saber Saw. The saw is just dead when plugged into the inverter. Will work with a micro wave if I stoop so low as to install one. A lower wattage inverter would probably work just as well but check your tool requirements to be sure of enough wattage.
Stinger 2.5-gal. Wet/Dry Vacuum-WD2025 - The Home Depot
Milwaukee also makes a 28v wet/dry vac. I just got their 28v angle drill for raising the main and hauling up the mast so it can use the same battery. It has great reviews and would be stronger (in theory) than the 12 or 18v models. I may get one. I use a small 2 gal 120v wet/dry vac right now and it works great too so may just keep it and use with my 2000w inverter.

A wet/dry vac on the boat is great. I am cleaning up my deep bilge and have used my 120v vac to pump out the dirty/oily water to dispose of by bucket onshore. It gets the last drops up. Can't use it as a blower though.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:51   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I have been using a Milwaukee 28VDC wet and dry shop vac with a hepa filter works fantastic can vacuum the whole boat without recharging and no cords to trip over. The vacuum power is comparable to a 110VAC shop vac. The bonus is the same battery fits the 28VDC right angle drill that we use as a power winch. Still need a inverter to charge the battery though.
Oops! Somehow I missed this before I posted my almost identical thought. Glad to hear it worked. It is on my list to get.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:16   #24
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

iRobot for years already. Why mess with cleaning when a robot can do it for you, I rather go have fun.
Old 10-06-2015, 15:33   #25

Running a 120v vacuum directly off the inverter is probably more efficient than charging 12 volt batteries from the boat batteries. A lot of energy is wasted by small battery chargers.

The 120v vacuum is especially efficient if you vacuum when the engine is running but the alternator is not putting out it's full capacity (because the boat batteries are approaching full charge). The alternator will then be providing essentially "free" power.

This is my favorite. A lot of suction. The powerbrush gets stuff out of cracks in the sole and the seams of the cushions. The hose on the side snaps out and extends to get into all the little corners on a boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-EasyCle...ds=hand+vacuum
Old 10-06-2015, 16:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Now that's got me thinking... it's about time the dog did something useful.... like pick up her own damn hairs that shed everywhere
Old 10-06-2015, 17:07   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
This is my favorite. A lot of suction. The powerbrush gets stuff out of cracks in the sole and the seams of the cushions. The hose on the side snaps out and extends to get into all the little corners on a boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-EasyCle...ds=hand+vacuum
We just bought the newer model of this one: Amazon.com - Eureka RapidClean Step Handheld Corded Vacuum, 41A - Best Hand Held Vacuum

Arrived today and we tried it and are very impressed. We have a small rug that we recently vacuumed with our shop vac and thought was pretty clean. After running this over it we realized we were wrong…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 17:19   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Now that's got me thinking... it's about time the dog did something useful.... like pick up her own damn hairs that shed everywhere
...roll and fetch the adhesive ball? ..'could work!
Old 25-06-2015, 05:03   #29

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

The BEST tool I have aboard is my small Karcher wet & dry vac. Works either off the 3KW inverter or on shore power or genset.

Well regarded manufacturer... it still looks great after 3 years of toxic aspirations etc...:big grin: Occasional wash down and WD40 spray in/out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: