Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2014, 18:47   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Using your Oven/Cooking aboard

Ken H,

Some of us like, want and use our ovens, others not so much.

I'd like to second Zeehag, though, if a partner may be in your future, that person might like using an oven. A prospective purchaser of a 42 foot boat would likely expect the oven/stove combo. Whether or not that matters to you, is your choice.

As to pizza, you can cook one carefully in a heavy skillet, with a lid.

Ann

Old 23-08-2014, 06:28   #32

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post

I'm not a baker and only need a two burner stove. So, I was thinking of getting rid of the Stove/Oven and replace it with a two burner little camping stove, a shelf with a Microwave and then storage below that.

Is this reasonable? I mean I might use it for a pizza once in a great while but that's it. I could get a toaster over for the small jobs and then stow it when not in use..

Our "oven" is a combination microwave/oven, and yes, we use it. Sometimes for new meals, sometimes to recycle some left-overs that reheat better in an oven versus a microwave.

-Chris

Old 23-08-2014, 08:47   #33

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Ok, So here's the question..
Do you use your oven?
Yes. Lasagna, pork roast, beef roast, roasted veg (broccoli, potatoes, cauliflower, etc.), chicken, fish, ... we use the oven a couple times a week in warm weather and just about every day in cold. Add in bread and biscuits and such and we use the oven quite a bit.

If you shift to a camp stove are you also giving up gimballing? That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
We've found that we cook on the boat pretty much the way we cook at home. We rarely use an oven and don't use a bbq at home.
One of the best points on this thread. The way you cook is the way you cook and changing that aboard is likely to be stressful. If you "cook" in a microwave ashore you are likely to be unhappy with pressure cookers and ovens.

That isn't to say that adjustments are achievable and even enjoyable. I suggest that if you are going to move aboard to go cruising in the long term you experiment with cooking adjustments before you move onto the boat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 08:58   #34
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

living in the south ... i dislike using ovens due to the fact that they heat up the cabin. so yes i think your idea of a cooktop with microwave below is very reasonable. but i would go with a force 10 or seaward with all marine safety features for propane gas.
Old 23-08-2014, 08:59   #35

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

We use our oven quite a bit, even in summer, for roasting fish and veggies amongst other things. Also it makes an excellent faraday cage for our chartplotter and large laptop in the event of thunderstorms. I'd suggest keeping it just for that if not for cooking.

We have a microwave, which the smaller electricals go in for the thunderstorms, but only use it for scrambled eggs and plate warming when on mains. If you do go for a microwave then definitely get a combo and maybe one with a grill facility as well, one thing we miss is a good grill. In honesty if the microwave hadn't been in the galley already I would not have bothered with it.

Keiron
Old 23-08-2014, 11:19   #36

Quote:
Ok, So here's the question..
Do you use your oven?

I'm not a baker and only need a two burner stove. So, I was thinking of getting rid of the Stove/Oven and replace it with a two burner little camping stove, a shelf with a Microwave and then storage below that.

Is this reasonable? I mean I might use it for a pizza once in a great while but that's it. I could get a toaster over for the small jobs and then stow it when not in use..

Give me your thoughts please...
I didn't use the oven much and it is a gas hog. As I found out it is corroding away everyday and is expensive to repair or replace as it ages. You could dismantle most of your current stove and still use the gimbled frame as I did for your burner plans. Remove the burner and racks from the oven and you've created a lot more storage space for pots & pans or a microwave/convection oven without too much rebuilding. The shiny overpriced marine stove/oven appliances were/are used to sell the boats to the ladies so they could could feel they could cook just like at home. Heating up more space than needed and burning up a lot of propane in the process. IMO there are cheaper more efficient alternatives that are not depending on aging rubber hoses running through the boat hooked to 20 lb propane tanks and stoves with dissimilar metals. Your idea of two burners with a MW or toaster oven to augment an occasional oven meal should be fine IMO.
Old 23-08-2014, 11:25   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ken H,

Some of us like, want and use our ovens, others not so much.

I'd like to second Zeehag, though, if a partner may be in your future, that person might like using an oven. A prospective purchaser of a 42 foot boat would likely expect the oven/stove combo. Whether or not that matters to you, is your choice.

As to pizza, you can cook one carefully in a heavy skillet, with a lid.

Ann
Oh, I definately use my oven, just saying there are alternatives and I am familair and comfortable using them. I love all my cast iron and I explore different ways to use it creatively.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 11:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I have baked cake and cookies on the stove top with my Dutch oven and matching skillet (the kid fits both)
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 11:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Oh, I definately use my oven, just saying there are alternatives and I am familair and comfortable using them. I love all my cast iron and I explore different ways to use it creatively.
Indeed! One of my favorite pans is the 12" cast iron skillet. Heats up well and allows one to shut off the burner sooner saving propane while still cooking the meal.
Old 23-08-2014, 11:37   #40

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
You can do a fair amount of baking using a pressure cooker--traditional fruitcakes and plum pudding or plum duff are common steamed deserts easily made with a pressure cooker.
How do you keep from burning the bottom of the pressure cooker, sorry I'm a guy, I cook some at home but moving onto my boat full-time soon, so no oven. I forgot an empty pot on the stove and it damn near melted wouldn't the p c do the same. The p c I bought is aluminum and it does not have a spacer with holes like my moms old Mirro p c did, do I need to buy a different brand? I did not see any new ones with such an attachment.
Old 23-08-2014, 12:05   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
How do you keep from burning the bottom of the pressure cooker, sorry I'm a guy, I cook some at home but moving onto my boat full-time soon, so no oven. I forgot an empty pot on the stove and it damn near melted wouldn't the p c do the same. The p c I bought is aluminum and it does not have a spacer with holes like my moms old Mirro p c did, do I need to buy a different brand? I did not see any new ones with such an attachment.
You can by an item called a "flame tamer" in most home goods stores or on line that will mimic the holed bottom of your moms Pressure cooker. Only cost a few bucks I use one with my 4 quart aluminum PC when making sauces and other dishes.
Old 23-08-2014, 12:06   #42
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

We use our (propane) oven. Not every day, not for baking bread or anything like that, but for lasagna, meatloaf, etc. and for broiling steaks. I'm not sure I would buy one but since it came in the boat (as part of a Force 10 range), it gets used and I wouldn't remove it.

We do have a microwave and that sees a lot of use.
Old 23-08-2014, 14:46   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
Wsulli,

Astrid was writing about steamed desserts, for that, you have some water in the bottom of the cooker. However, for bread, I just use the lowest setting the burner has, and no flame tamer is needed. If you need a spacer in the bottom, like to bake a cake, a used tuna can will do. Remove the lid, the tuna, and the bottom. Wash it, and put it on the bottom, and it will space up a small cake pan that has no handles, it has to be round.

Ann
Old 23-08-2014, 17:03   #44

Location: We are now waiting for a weather window to cross Bass Strait. Currently in Lakes Entrance and have enjoyed exploring the Gippsland Lakes.
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

I would not be without my oven - I use it so often.

However, if you decided to go the alternate route and power is not such an issue I suggest you consider a Turbo Oven.

It is a large glass bowl with the heating and fan forced element in the lid. It is great for roast pork crackle, cakes and even chip/fries can be done in the fan forced action. I can even roast a turkey with the extender ring. It also has the added bonus of being used in the cockpit to keep heat out of the saloon. However, best of all it is so easy to clean with its self cleaning action.

Sue
Old 23-08-2014, 17:36   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For the trouble and money...just store pans in your oven! ... and don't use it but use the cooktop! also put your spare electronics in t here to avoid damage from lightening. Don't cook with propane cannisters in the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, enc, oven

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: