Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 16:43   #16

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447
Re: Using a hammock during a sailing passage

Not to show my age, but my first ship was fitted with hammocks an this is where I slept for the next 9 months.
Most yachts do not have a room down below to swing a hammock.
The hammock used was not like you use at home in your back yard, ours were made of heavy canvas an we placed a small hard mattress inside, sheets were fitted An the top sheet an blanket were tied at one end, the other end had a stick spreader which kept the nettles (the string or rope holding the hammock)apart.
The hammock was slung bar taut (as tight as possible) an we then swung ourselves into it.
I was in a small ship An she rolled, but once it my hammock I had the best night sleep ever.
A well lashed hammock could be used to plug a hole in the hull, an used to keep you afloat (lash up An stow).

Don’t try an sling a hammock after a few beers ashore it does not work.

In answer to your question great at sea if slung properly.
Cheers
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 19:45   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’ve used a hammock above deck between mast and forestay and it starts to rock with almost no roll at all. Perhaps hanging it on the diagonal would help to minimise rocking. But you definitely need a way to dampen the rocking. I’m not sure about sleeping for a longer period in a hammock - doesn’t the curve really mess up your back?

But the reality of hammocks as used by the old British Navy was not about care for their sailors - it was a pragmatic solution to having no fitted furniture on the gun decks. Watch Master and Commander and pay attention to the between decks scenes. Not comfortable.
I use a hammock when on the road with bike. wake up in the morning and not want to get out of it. my back is worse than everyone else's. Hennessey Hammocks.. incredible product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xray.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	158904  
Old 06-11-2017, 20:22   #18

My Clark Jungle Hammock has worked for me for the past 15 years. Never went back to sleeping in a tent on the ground during backpacking adventures.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 22:57   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
I use a hammock when on the road with bike. wake up in the morning and not want to get out of it. my back is worse than everyone else's. Hennessey Hammocks.. incredible product.

I’ve heard of the Hennessy Hammocks from my old mountaineering days. More and more of these posts are convincing me that I really need to try a sleeping hammock on my boat. I room for my partner is a bit of a bummer though.

That back of yours sure looks like my daughter’s scoliosis. She got it straightened with a couple of titanium rods. Not for you though I guess? Truly a hard man.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:59   #20

So I guess for room, you'd need 7 or so ft for the hammock itself, and then another few feet for the assorted ropes. Then laterally you'd need the width of the hammock plus a foot or two other side. so 10ft by 4 ft minimum?

My late grandfather slept in hammocks on a sloop in WWII. I once said how terrible it must have been. He said it was great, no rocking, and cool especially in the tropics. They had stiff cotton rectangular ones that were box shaped iirc.
Mozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 16:31   #21

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi all. My tips for a comfy hammock sleeping on board. Rig it longer and tighter to minimize sag (curvature). High level close to hand grips above works better for ease in /out and for free space below (unless maybe stack/bunk type sleeping). Fore/aft is essential on any vessel the heels under sail. All hammocks will move in unison so can be close without touching. I like breathable fabric / canvas only type. for me a sleeping bag as below insulation and wrap over. Two light/medium bags are much better than tangle wrestling one warm sleeping bag. A pillow or full "stuff-bag" at each end can assist with head and foot space if wanted. Any more equipment, spreaders than this is generally counter productive and excess complication. You can think of this as sleeping with a "lee cloth" all round you.
Fatigue is the biggest issue in long trips by even the best sailors. Sleep well all. A.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:25   #22

Be sure to carefully consider the attachment points for your hammock, especially if you intend to use it while underway. I have a friend (a wee lad of 200+ pounds) who pulled down the bulkhead on a fiberglass boat while going to windward in choppy seas.

Tags
passage, sail, sailing