Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 16:50   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
USA Atlantic ICW Northbound

Hello to all my friends that are now or soon northbound for the season on the ICW. Since this is our 22nd seasonal latitude adjustment,I'm guessing that I know many of you or that I know your plans. Nancie and I are off with our new bottom paint and waxed freeboard to points north for the hurricane season! We're taking a late start ca. May 1st to spend some time in Beaufort (both of them); Charleston; Georgetown; Elizabeth City and Annapolis before hiding out in Baltimore for the hot days. 'absolute lazy, retired, cockpit potato sailors in our 42nd year of liveaboard cruising. I'd love to share thoughts an ideas about what's happening among those who are either "Hurricane Birds" or "Snowbirds".
Old 02-04-2013, 16:55   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: USA Atlantic ICW Northbound

No Maine on the agenda? A lot cooler than Baltimore in the summer--or do you tie up to the umbilical cord there?
Old 02-04-2013, 17:35   #3

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Even if not Maine...why not the Jersey or Delaware shore???

Just too hot/humid and probably more expensive to boot.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:25   #4

We call ourselves "sunbirds" not snowbirds -- we seek sun, not snow, after all!

We'll be hanging out all around the Chesapeake for the summer, doing maritime history/ historical navigation techniques/ pirates in history lectures, and when we're not doing that, just exploring quiet places. Probably plugged into a dock in Annapolis for the hot period, we have a maybe opportunity to crew in Canada in late June (tough duty but someone's gotta do it). Drop us a line as you get north, it'd be fun to get together!
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

No Maine?....No Delaware?,.... No New Jersey? No Block Island? What's the purpose of the "No" list? I cruised to Maine and Nantucket last year ,- I may be back, but I'll never get to everywhere! There's no purpose in the "you really missed it, you should have done this list! It turns out that a good time in Camden, NC trumps an average day in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat! "sun birds".- that excels!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:54   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Well, your signature says "underway, Maine-Bahamas," so I figured you were from Maine! Don't worry, it's all good. I can taste those crab cakes at Davis' Pub in Eastport every time someone mentions the Chesapeake.
Old 06-04-2013, 14:47   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

Last June on the Chessy it hit 100 degrees while we were there!! Even with A/C that is insufferable. We'll wave as we go past. MUCH cooler in New England.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Well, your signature says "underway, Maine-Bahamas," so I figured you were from Maine! Don't worry, it's all good............
Oh, ....You're right! I just put down the outside of my envelope. I didn't get to the Bahamas this summer because I was doing some extra work on my boat and I'm going to languish in the heat of the Chesapeake this summer. I'll be back to Maine and the Bahamas,....maybe even push the envelope. I've also been taking some side trips to the places where I would never get to on my own boat,- we just got back from New Zealand last week. I admire the long distance ocean cruisers, but I know that Nancie and I would only get to those far places with the jet plane! We are definitely "cockpit potatoes". By the time we reached Bar Harbor with 10 weeks of northbound cruising last year, we turned around the next day and started our long slow trip south! That's what happens when you take a lot of twenty mile days and hang out in some favorite spots. We've taken as long as seven months to get from Maine back to the Bahamas, but we stopped for Thanksgiving ans Christmas with family.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05   #9

Boat: Morgan 416

We're moving aboard our new to us Morgan 416 on 4/25 in St. Augustine. We'll be leaving Camachee Cove as soon as the weather says to go - maybe 4/27 - heading outside to Beaufort, NC and the ICW.

Heading to Hampton, VA for the summer at Salt Ponds Marina. One of my wife's sons is stationed at Langley AFB for the foreseeable future so as we leave cold snowy upstate NY, Virginia and the Chesapeake seems like a great spot. And the marina is less than 3 miles from their home so we'll have a place to hangout and so will they.

We will be "sunbirds"!! and cruise south in the winters. Anyone coming north and into the Chesapeake better contact us or we'll have to send out a boarding party! You can PM me here or hail Ahimsa4 on vhf when you're close. Becky and I look forward to meeting some of you!

Fair winds.....
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw