Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 13:34   #1

Unrealistic Expectations?

I haven't posted on here in ages but I need some advice. I've found a boat I like or can afford in the Caribbean. I've got the money for the boat and I'm in contact with the owner making arrangements towards having a pre-survey done. I can buy the boat outright and get it antfouled (it's steel) After that I will only have about $5000 left without borrowing money from anyone.

I plan on spending a year cruising around the Caribbean and then probably sailing home. I'm not planning on using Marinas unless in absolute emergencies and using the outboard to go get shopping every week and basically being frugal with everything so that I can manage my time afloat. I've got spearfishing and full seafishing gear. Is this realistic? This would be my first boat and it's a big decision. I live in the UK the boats in the Caribbean it's dirt cheap and could have a life changing experience from this. I'm also a qualified spark so thought I might be able to find work here and there.
Obviously I've spent the last 3 years doing research but having never lived on a boat I have no idea what to expect.
Chris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 13:52   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Unrealistic expectations?

You'd need luck akin to winning the lottery to be able to walk onto a new to you boat without having to spend a cent on it above the purchases price. It's what I call the OFM expense as in "Oh, F*$% me!". That can gobble up vast reserves of cash if you aren't careful and the obvious moral to the story is if you are going in at minimum budget make absolutely certain that you are going in with your eyes wide open. The very fact you are looking at a steel boat is ringing alarm bells with me in this regard. Welding quals might be a better proposition than electrical ones in the circumstance.

If it were me, I'd go small and go fibreglass. Then what you want to do might just be achievable. P.s have you read the cruising on $500 per month thread(s)?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 13:54   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Even new boats do not tend to be ready to go - there will likely be some safety gear or some minor refits needed that will cost money.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 14:11   #4

Steel vs GRP they both have their downfalls at the age of this boat. Omsosis vs serious inside corrosion. A pre-survey will give me a good enough idea to not make the mistake of running in with both feet I would have thought?

The boats got a Liferaft (out of date, 2x Epirb). I have an Iridium 9555 already. Is it feasible money wise though? I've looked at and queried the biggest things so far. Engine, rigging, sail condition etc. If the hulls of sound quality is my budget going to be do-able as apposed to no way it's touch and go?

PS the previous owner did the same on the boat for 9yrs and I've heard it's done a Circumnavigation
Chris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 14:14   #5

Boat: csy 37

I think we could offer better advice if you would tell us more about the boat.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 14:47   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think 5K for a year is not realistic. You always get surprises with an old boat. Surveyors miss things. Life's imperfect.

I think if you would list your qualms that made you post the thread, it will clarify your thinking.

Ann
Old 07-07-2014, 14:58   #8

I looked at the site, I only see one picture and the date of the picture is unknown.
I applaud your efforts, I am in the process of doing the same thing.
Did you get anymore picture from the listing agent? 7,500 usd seems a bit unrealistic unless there are major issues with the boat. The age of everything will be an issue.
If you are capable of doing the major work to get the boat ready for sea then you may have a change. So many systems on a boat like that to check, you need to check them all! One bad sea cock, crap in all the tanks, standing rigging, running rigging, water pump, the list goes on. You need to trust your vessel. Can you trust a 38 foot ketch priced at $7500. Maybe you will get lucky and it is a distress sale.

Good Luck, hope to hear good news from the survey.
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 15:09   #9

Here is another Tucker 38 ketch for sale:

Ryton 38 Ketch For Sale in Welwyn Garden City

List price: £5,000

This one is a lot closer to you and just a $1000usd more.
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 15:27   #10

I say go for it . What have you got to lose ! Sail it around the Carib and get to know it !
I do not think your life would be in danger . After some time aboard you will learn what you can repair and what ya can not . Many repairs are a lot cheaper when ya work in or hang around boatyards . You will learn ! I am not sure what a " sparks " is , electrician comes to mind . Plenty work !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 15:46   #11

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

It was my experience that after spending many years getting my boat "ready to go", once I "got there", it still required alot of maintenance..
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 16:05   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What he has to lose is his life. As mentioned above, all it takes is one bad sea cock.

Ann
Old 07-07-2014, 16:09   #13

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

To me it sounds too cheap to be good. I bet the $5000 and more will disappear before this boat is ready to go. You're not going to buy without seeing it in person, are you?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 16:21   #14

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I started sailing in 1954 as a school boy and I spent longer than three months looking for the last boat I bought. Suggest you do the same.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 16:37   #15

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
Steel vs GRP they both have their downfalls at the age of this boat. Omsosis vs serious inside corrosion. A pre-survey will give me a good enough idea to not make the mistake of running in with both feet I would have thought?
True. The problem is that steel rots from the inside - usually in places hidden well from view. Osmosis occurs on the outside and is easily detected. Even core delamination is easy enough to find, relatively speaking. I've seen lots of steel boats that a screwdriver could be pushed through. I'm yet to see the same thing occur on a fibreglass boat due to osmosis.

Trust the survey? I've quoted this link before, but well worth a resurrection:
The saving of WhiteBird

I'm a big fan of steel myself and intend to purchase a steelie if we ever decide to upgrade our current boat, but after years of hovering around boatyards I will by using utmost due diligence of which cheap price will be one of the least determining factors.

Quote:
The boats got a Liferaft (out of date, 2x Epirb). I have an Iridium 9555 already. Is it feasible money wise though? I've looked at and queried the biggest things so far. Engine, rigging, sail condition etc. If the hulls of sound quality is my budget going to be do-able as apposed to no way it's touch and go?
Don't discount the electrical system as it is one of the most surprisingly expensive and time consuming systems on a boat. Being a sparky will be of benefit here. Also it only takes a failure, say for example, the genoa to blow out and require replacement and this alone will bite into a chunk of your kitty. Again a smaller boat will have a smaller bill.

Quote:
PS the previous owner did the same on the boat for 9yrs and I've heard it's done a Circumnavigation
New steel boats are awsome unless really badly homebuilt of course. Old steel boats can be disasters. You might strike it lucky. I personally wouldn't buy at any price without a thorough first hand inspection.

Having said all that, if the boat is in decent condition it sounds like a good buy, but - and this is a very big but - it can all end in heartache if you start occurring unplanned expenses on such a limited budget.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote