Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 16:40   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Unrealistic expectations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
I haven't posted on here in ages but I need some advice. I've found a boat I like or can afford in the Caribbean. I've got the money for the boat and I'm in contact with the owner making arrangements towards having a pre-survey done. I can buy the boat outright and get it antfouled (it's steel) After that I will only have about $5000 left without borrowing money from anyone.

I plan on spending a year cruising around the Caribbean and then probably sailing home. I'm not planning on using Marinas unless in absolute emergencies and using the outboard to go get shopping every week and basically being frugal with everything so that I can manage my time afloat. I've got spearfishing and full seafishing gear. Is this realistic? This would be my first boat and it's a big decision. I live in the UK the boats in the Caribbean it's dirt cheap and could have a life changing experience from this. I'm also a qualified spark so thought I might be able to find work here and there.
Obviously I've spent the last 3 years doing research but having never lived on a boat I have no idea what to expect.

7800 for a 38' sailboat in sailing and cruising-liveaboard condition is unrealistic. There are no close-up photos of this boat, the one distance photo is undated.

How many other 38' sailboats did you find in this price range? Did you see them in person? That should give you a gauge.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 16:40   #17

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I don't think you want to get started on a low-budget sailing adventure in a remote place.
I'd start in Florida, get a boat there, sail it around, fix what needs fixed, learn how to fix it, and once comfortable with that and still have some money, take it offshore and go cruising to the be-an.

On the other hand, if you are good with losing it all, and getting rescued and begging a ride back the states broke, go for it. Not saying that will happen, but it might.
Old 07-07-2014, 16:59   #18

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

I say go for it! and if you do I will hop on with you for a few months to help with the chores. I assume you'll have plenty for me to do.

I am a 26 YO female college graduate. I have spend the last six years at Florida state and payed the tuition by bar tending and stripping part time. I have some money left and would share some of the expenses with you.

please U2U if you make the move.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 17:11   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Chris, do you have a bail-out plan in place if you decide to go with this boat? A means of escape if, after buying the boat, you discover or experience a disastrous failing?

It is absolutely certain that some significant portion of your 5000 dollars will be spent before you even leave the place where yo buy the boat. How much will be left? Maybe none...

I too think that it is indeed unrealistic to think that your budget will cover your proposed venture. The old adage about if it seems to good to be true... applies well to this situation.

Finally, IMO there isn't much comparison to the structural hazards of rusting steel and osmosing GRP. One can and all too often does result in major structural failures (steel) while the other is in the vast majority of cases only cosmetic on a time scale of a few years.

I fear that your project as stated has little chance of success. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of possible candidates on the SE coast of the USA. My advice is either look further now or (perhaps better) fatten up your fiscal situation a bit more and then do your searching.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 07-07-2014, 17:46   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

As an owner of a 44' steel boat I can be 99% certain that when you get onboard your proposed purchase you will find a nightmare jumble of issues that are essentailly unfixable inside of several years. Costs are likely to exceed $50,000.

I believe it has been suggested already that you get yourself a smaller fibreglass boat. I'll wholeheartedly endorse that comment.

Indeed I'll go further and suggest that on your budget you should be looking at a fibreglass boat under 30', possibly even outboard powered and tiller steered.

And I hate outboards...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 19:12   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

There are no bad plans - except perhaps this one...

Try this...

Boats For Sale

Or if you want to take the time to pick each caribbean country you can look for a boat "already there"

With your budget, if you go over 27 feet you area asking for shattered plans.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 19:23   #22

Boat: csy 37

chris84, you need to rethink this. you're not going to get a ready to run 38' steel ketch for that kind of money. and as a low budget single hander why the hell would you want a 38' boat anyway? it looks like someone else's nightmare. you will blow through $5k long before she's ready to go.

on the other hand, if you just want to piss away a few months of your life - and maybe all of your savings - well, its your life, captain.

here's an alternative. look for a fiberglass boat in the 30' range. here's a good place to start - craigslist. this link will take you to the boat section for south florida. check it every day and check other southern USA listings. bet you can find a more practical solution for about the same money.

south florida boats classifieds - craigslist

a friend of mine has a pearson 30 in very good condition he's got up for sale. he wants $9k for it but i think it could be had for $7k. and i think it's pretty well ready to go.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 22:44   #23

Wait, wait, wait.

Didn't this guy just have a professional stripper offer to join him as crew ? I mean maybe he's going to get stranded on an uncharted desert isle ?
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 23:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxiam View Post
I looked at the site, I only see one picture and the date of the picture is unknown.
I applaud your efforts, I am in the process of doing the same thing.
Did you get anymore picture from the listing agent? 7,500 usd seems a bit unrealistic unless there are major issues with the boat. The age of everything will be an issue.
If you are capable of doing the major work to get the boat ready for sea then you may have a change. So many systems on a boat like that to check, you need to check them all! One bad sea cock, crap in all the tanks, standing rigging, running rigging, water pump, the list goes on. You need to trust your vessel. Can you trust a 38 foot ketch priced at $7500. Maybe you will get lucky and it is a distress sale.

Good Luck, hope to hear good news from the survey.
Thanks. Yes I have lots of photos from the seller. Plus a survey done in 2003 which is good. I feel the same. The owner is actually very genuine and listed the jobs that need to be done. I can do almost all of these myself. It's not for sale for $7500 dollars but £7500 pounds. But having no experience of these matters and it being such a big decision I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here first. What with all the years of experience that this community has.
Chris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 23:53   #25

Haha Yes sorry that's British for Electrician!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistarckle View Post
I say go for it . What have you got to lose ! Sail it around the Carib and get to know it !
I do not think your life would be in danger . After some time aboard you will learn what you can repair and what ya can not . Many repairs are a lot cheaper when ya work in or hang around boatyards . You will learn ! I am not sure what a " sparks " is , electrician comes to mind . Plenty work !
Old 07-07-2014, 23:59   #26

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Chris--you'd have to be the luckiest sailor in the world to buy a $7,500 38' (steel) sailboat and go sailing on $5,000. But you already have a great stripper offer, so maybe it's your lucky day.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 23:59   #27

I've been looking at boats for a lot longer than 3 months bud. This just happens to be where I want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I started sailing in 1954 as a school boy and I spent longer than three months looking for the last boat I bought. Suggest you do the same.
Old 08-07-2014, 00:01   #28

Yes my bail out plan would be to fly home work to get money together and then come back to pay for what needs doing. Or sink her, come home and never return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Chris, do you have a bail-out plan in place if you decide to go with this boat? A means of escape if, after buying the boat, you discover or experience a disastrous failing?

It is absolutely certain that some significant portion of your 5000 dollars will be spent before you even leave the place where yo buy the boat. How much will be left? Maybe none...

I too think that it is indeed unrealistic to think that your budget will cover your proposed venture. The old adage about if it seems to good to be true... applies well to this situation.

Finally, IMO there isn't much comparison to the structural hazards of rusting steel and osmosing GRP. One can and all too often does result in major structural failures (steel) while the other is in the vast majority of cases only cosmetic on a time scale of a few years.

I fear that your project as stated has little chance of success. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of possible candidates on the SE coast of the USA. My advice is either look further now or (perhaps better) fatten up your fiscal situation a bit more and then do your searching.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 08-07-2014, 00:03   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
Thanks. Yes I have lots of photos from the seller. Plus a survey done in 2003 which is good. I feel the same. The owner is actually very genuine and listed the jobs that need to be done. I can do almost all of these myself. It's not for sale for $7500 dollars but £7500 pounds. But having no experience of these matters and it being such a big decision I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here first. What with all the years of experience that this community has.
You do realize that it is 2014? Right?

A 2003 survey is meaningless. If you don't mind sharing what are some of the jobs listed? You may be able to provide the labor but let's say one job is anti-foul.

You have to haul out and buy the paint rollers etc. Probably 5 boat bucks.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 00:06   #30

Wow. How could anyone turn down an offer like this? You sound too good to be true. If it happens I'll drop you my email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
I say go for it! and if you do I will hop on with you for a few months to help with the chores. I assume you'll have plenty for me to do.

I am a 26 YO female college graduate. I have spend the last six years at Florida state and payed the tuition by bar tending and stripping part time. I have some money left and would share some of the expenses with you.

please U2U if you make the move.