Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2015, 13:01   #1

Boat: Moccasins and pony
Unexpectedly moving aboard

I've been running a farm 400 miles from the boat for over 15 years. Just took a job managing a grain facility 25 miles from the boat! I'd have never predicted this, but I tied the boat up to the dock the other day and have been moving in at night after work.

The boat has been on my mooring for over two years and hasn't moved due to my back injury and surgery. Arrived at the rural creek after dark, following a long day of grading soybean trucks. Paddled out on an inflatable paddle board with all my stuff and got to work commissioning the boat after years of sitting idle. Engine was winterized two years ago and hasn't been started since. Fired up instantly after I first got some oil in the top end. Not much smoke to speak of.

Spent nearly two hours in the water getting the nasty prop squeaky clean, and a cursory pass around hull and through hulls. Wetsuit is one of the better investments I've made over the years. Took a two hour nap and awoke at 0400 to start the 12 hr trip. Amazingly, I arrived as planned, with zero issues. Hard to believe. Two years represents a lot of neglect on my part, but I was still farming with my back hosed and I was doing good to keep my job, my wife, and boat altogether. The boat was very well maintained mechanically before so I guess that paid off.

So, a new chapter begins. I miss my cattle herd especially and the creativity needed to manage a big diverse farm and a few dozen peeps. Also miss my family 6 hours up the road, but I get home most weekends. I make far more money and live on a killer boat, so there will be no complaints from me!

I never thought about working and living aboard. It's got some minor challenges but I don't have to wear dress clothes and I live pretty simply as it is. It's a good opportunity to make some needed improvements to our crealock that I could never have done with old salary and location. I'll spend some time on the live aboard forum, something I've never given any attention....

Now I need to sort out winter heat and keeping food cold, and switch some storage around to reflect new lifestyle. Plenty to do.

Cheers.

Old 29-10-2015, 18:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Unexpectedly moving aboard

Congratulations on being back aboard. Don't tear up your back!

Old 29-10-2015, 19:28   #3

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Good luck on the new gig. Remember those personnel skills and get to know some willing young strong backs that will trade labor for sailing.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 30-10-2015, 12:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I agree, congrats on everything. My lady and I will a bit behind you. We're trying to be liveaboards in the next year or so, a daunting task. Meanwhile, best of luck. I have a crushed disk in my lower back and arthritis is raising its ugly head. We figure if we don't do it now, we won't ever do the cruising lifestyle, and regret it until we die.

Best wishes,
Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-10-2015, 14:14   #5

Thanks guys. Final loads aboard last night and out of a nasty temporary apartment. Now to carve the berths etc out of the piles.

Funny feeling leaving the boat to go to work. Being on the boat, the smells, sounds, feeling of bobbing around, makes me feel like I'm on vacation. Dropping in hatch boards to go to work is a new sensation altogether!

Ya I'm terrible about getting help with the boat. Good point cap Eric, I'm a master delegator and over the years have had three dozen staff at a time, leaving few basic tasks for me to do. I think I've just wanted to be alone and do things myself when I went to the boat, and part of why I started sailing by myself a lot. Things have changed and I'd enjoy teaching some new or young sailors and they could learn a lot helping me with projects.

Good luck Cabo on your goal. I did think about living aboard but only when I was exasperated and thought I could run away from my life and live on board. Those were fleeting moments but ironic I found such a good job near the boat. I did a national search and interviewed in Bend OR, a tiny town in KS, and here. And I'm grateful things are working out as they are.
Old 30-10-2015, 14:55   #6

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Congrats on the job - a blessing. Since the main use for the boat is sleeping get a memory foam topper for your mattress. We got 3 50mm layers and we love our bed and my back-ache gradually faded away.
Old 30-10-2015, 15:12   #7

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

Congratulations!
Old 30-10-2015, 15:23   #8

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Congratulations! So what happens with your farm? Did you sell your herd?
Old 31-10-2015, 06:19   #9

I was just a farm manager, someone else running it now. Hard to leave though. I'm a total newb at commuting. Haven't done it in a long time.
Old 31-10-2015, 06:20   #10

Yes I plan to get some memory foam soon as I get some priorities handled. Like water in the tanks
Old 31-10-2015, 07:07   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Rockin' News... Congrats!

I think the priority list puts "relaxing beverages" above water tankage.... This shouldn't be ignored...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: