Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 17:07   #16

Boat: Sailboat
Re: UBNT Bullet Boondoggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post
While its possible the bullet is fubar'd, it'd be worthwhile to try a new/different POE injector. The power supply could be faulty.

Test/replace your patch cables as well.

And try to access with a different browser.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I would go so far and say, try the bullet with someone else's PC/MAC, a different Ethernet cable, a different OS. You need to make it respond to a ping to 192.168.1.20, otherwise the factory reset or the HW/SW your are connecting with don't work right.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/artic...mware-recovery
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 18:15   #17

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
I would go so far and say, try the bullet with someone else's PC/MAC, a different Ethernet cable, a different OS. You need to make it respond to a ping to 192.168.1.20, otherwise the factory reset or the HW/SW your are connecting with don't work right.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/artic...mware-recovery
Ya, that route is wise as well. I work with the Ubiquiti AirMax radios on a daily basis and I see faulty injectors on occasion as well as DOA hardware from time to time. Quality Cat5e or Cat6 cables are a must.

There is also the possibility that the reset button is disabled via gui. If the bullet was previously configured, one never knows...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 18:35   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: UBNT Bullet Boondoggles

Several good ideas I can't try at the moment but will tomorrow when fresher. I received the PDF, and while the directions didn't get me into the bullet, they did allow an error correction doubtless contributing to the trouble.

Thanks all,
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 06:35   #19

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Current prob is that I can't get into the bullet from the laptop. After MANY attempts by me and other "experts" to log onto the bullet to do the setup, last night I ran the UBNT discovery app which indicated the bullet's IP is 192.168.10.1, not 1.20 per "instructions." This after a full power reset
You may have put the Bullet in TFTP recovery mode by holding the reset button too long. If that is the case you will have to follow UBNT's TFTP recovery instructions and reload the firmware. If this was a Bullet with lights you would see all the lights flashing. If in this mode you will never access the web interface until the new firmware is uploaded. You can also try the discovery tool again.

If you can see it with the discovery tool you have a compatible IP address. Open the discovery tool and double click the device seen in the window. This will open another window showing all IP addresses available on the Bullet. If you see an address starting with 169., highlight that and click on web ui. That usually works as it is assigned by the devices and is called Auto IP aliases on the Bullet. I have found that Firefox and Google Chrome web browsers work best for configuring Ubiquity products.
Old 24-01-2016, 09:33   #20

Thanks Barry. This morning I took the whole thing apart, and found a drop of water between ant and bullet (in spite of having taped it), dried that out. Reread every thing about resetting, and did it again for 15 sec. Rerun discovery tool and voila! Bullet was back at ...1.20 rather than as reported earlier. Hey Hey. So entered into Firefox browser ... nada. Reattached the omni antenna ... bingo ... finally the AirOS sign in page.

End of story? NFW. Followed the beginner's guide to the letter but unfortunately the instructions are not exactly like the actual bullet so when all is changed and applied, cannot re-access log in page.

Have to run an errand. Will advise when back in action. No printer so I may have to wait to print out the PDF file sent yesterday. Interesting stuff about resetting the firmware but glad I didn't have to do it. Still, I've moved at least one notch up the paygrade scale.

I feel well ahead of where I was yesterday and seems like all is working. Especially me.
Old 24-01-2016, 16:08   #21

I am buying if I run into you gentlemen. I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY CONFIGURED MY BULLET!

The third set of instructions did the job. Each set were a little different. This was not unpleasant, plus I'm sure I'll be able to pass this on.

Thanks.
BC
Old 24-01-2016, 16:26   #22

Boat: Sailboat

LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 20:20   #23
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Congratulations !!!!! You are a better man then I am.
I have two bullets that 'died' on me, each one lasting about a year. They both still power up but I am no longer able to talk to them. My solution after spending a few hours messing around with them - buy a different system (so far so good).
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 04:16   #24

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser

Congratulations, well done!
Old 25-01-2016, 05:14   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Yeah, the bullets can ba a PITA to work with. We have been using one since 2010, a Titanium since 2013, but I would not ever suggest somebody buy one unless they had a background in networking, or at least a fair amount of experience. While more expensive, the Wave Wifi device is SO much more user friendly, being a UBNT product with a simpler interface written for it.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote