Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-02-2013, 10:39   #16

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Re: TX Gulf Coast Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
We really like the marina but may move over to Corpus for an easier land commute ( my husband works in Austin)
How is the commute to Austin from the coastline? I tend to work with IT startups, which Austin has a pretty decent share of, and had always figured it was just too far inland to commute to from a marina.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:46   #17

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Its 4 hours to the coast except for Port Lavaca, which is about three. But I drive slow.

I live in Austin, My Aunt lives in Texas City on Galveston Bay, which is exactly 200 miles.

There's a Toll road going in from Austin to San Antonio top speed is 80 mph, which might shorten the commute somewhat.

Lake Travis is 10 miles from downtown, but getting shallower as the drought continues

Old 11-02-2013, 11:25   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
How is the commute to Austin from the coastline? I tend to work with IT startups, which Austin has a pretty decent share of, and had always figured it was just too far inland to commute to from a marina.
Yes, it's about 3 1/2 hours. We are splitting our time between boat and Austin until Brian can work from boat full time, he takes three day weekends. We take sabbaticals every 15-20 months so the drive is tough but temporary. I highly recommend Austin, for being landlocked it's a great place to live. Lake Travis is great sailing, winds shifty so good for keeping you on your toes. NO one, and I mean no one, sails at night so you pretty much have the lake to yourself. if you decide Austin just PM my husband( Rain Dog) he is a computer programmer rock star, could give you some recommendation if you like( proud wife but still true ), there is a lot of hiring going on in the IT here.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 12-02-2013, 13:07   #19

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

My hazy memory from childhood is that Tampico was a somewhat industrial sort of place. Veracruz seemed more interesting and is the destination of occasional sailing rallies, although I don't know that Lakewood does the Regatta de Amigos still.

There is another forum that had a brief thread about it a while back in 2011...

Tampico, Mexico - SailNet Community

A couple of examples:
"Well I just got back from Tampico so I guess I'll make the report myself! Although Tampico is a modern and efficient cargo port, I saw no facilities for sailing vessels and any anchorage in the river which bisects the city will be on poor ground and vulnerable to thievery.

Having said that, I found the people to be warm, friendly, and helpful as is typical in Mexico. The area immediately adjacent to the city docks is a pretty rough (as is usual) but the city in general is much cleaner than, say, Naples or Marsellies"

and
"Although the people are nice, the place is a pit with no real facilities for private little sailboats. Why not go on to Tuxpan, a lovely place with great people then on to Veracruz, also a nice place with better facilities. Who told you to go to Tampico??? My least favorite place to go in Mexico. YUK."

Also a thread here on CF
Cruising Mexico's East Coast

with Gord May's Noonsite linky:
Mexico — Noonsite
Mexico — Noonsite
Old 05-11-2015, 10:56   #20

Big Water,

What was the result of your search?
Old 07-11-2015, 19:24   #21

Boat: Westsail28

Years ago the Vera Cruz Race participants would stop in Tuxpan for a second banquet before the trip back to Texas. Back then the town catered to Mexican tourists. Tuxpan now has high rise condos!!! It could be a cruising destination still under the radar. Anyone been there lately?
(Bonus Question: Anyone know what part Tuxpan played in the Cuban revolution?)

Tags
marinas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: