Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2015, 20:39   #16

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: Two Trash Cans a Week - Still May not be enough

It is liberating.

I was so tied down by so much stuff that filled rooms (furniture, etc)and have eliminated almost all with my eventual goal of having just what I can carry on the future boat.

I still have large photographs and canvases and some things that will not fit on a boat, so still must reduce, but I well remember the freedom or relief I felt when lots of big stuff was off my back.

My friends thought it crazy to sell all of my nice furniture, but on a boat, the furniture is all "built-in."

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 20:46   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

This post Tacoma Sailor made earlier this year struck a chord with me. Bottom line: "DO NOT underestimate the difficulty of getting rid of decades of accumulations that define your life and you think you might want in the future."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
A cautionary tale – OR – don’t be as DUMB as we have been! We failed totally, completely, and utterly to rid ourselves of “stuff” we would never need again after we finished our extended cruise, anticipated to be at least 5-years.

We sold our home in mid-April 2001. Both we and the new owners wanted an extended closing period so we agreed to a July 15, 2001 close. We had taken our Caliber 40 cutter from Puget Sound to San Diego the prior summer and were planning to move aboard in July and head off on an extended cruise in November 2001.

We had lived in an enormous custom built house for 20-years. It had 2 dedicated storage rooms that we filled to full in those 20-years. In spring 2001 we held two 2-day yard / garage / house sales with the intent of getting rid of everything except a couple of “grandma’s antiques.” We netted quite a sum that paid our cruising bills for many months.

BUT, It turns out it is much harder to empty out a 5-bedroom 6,000 square foot home than we anticipated. We held the sales two months prior to our planned departure. We then tried to donate the items we did not sell, (we have pretty good taste and everything was still very nice), to three different very well know national charities that were local to us. All three said they would come out to take everything away and all three failed to show up. Each time we confirmed the “take away” appointment the day before the charity was scheduled to arrive and each time they failed to arrive.

Finally, three weeks before the date we had to turn the house over to the new owners we rented a 26’ box truck and started hauling crap to those charities and to the city dump. We also had to take 22 boxes of books to the library at the local community college and 10 more to the Lions club book donation site. Did I mention the house had a 20’ x 20’ dedicated library from which I ran my business for 18-years, and I collected books for 40-years?

Do you realize how much 15-years of Cruising World magazines weigh, or 25-years of Cycling World, or 20-years of Bicycling? How about every Practical Sailor that was written up to June 2001?

I spent 8-hours a day for over a week hauling stuff out of the house.

We figured we would end up with a “small storage unit” of stuff left to store and rented a 10’x10’ unit which I started to fill. Before it was all over we had over filled a 15’x30’ storage unit that was 15’ tall.

What did we find indispensable or so valuable that we could not be rid of? This list is pretty much what I had planned on initially, but it took up way more room than I anticipated.

- tens of thousands of photographs (slides, prints, negatives) that I had taken all over the world since I became a serious photographer in 1969.

- more than 1,000 LPs (vinyl records) that had been played one time and then recorded on tape and very carefully stored for up to 30-years

- three boxes of bicycle clothing that I was sure we would need again

- dozens of boxes of custom made suits, shirts, overcoats that I could not even give away

- dozens of boxes of clothing that my wife had acquired over the years

- Grandma’s antiques – chest of drawers, dining room table, china cabinet, hutch, dressing table… you get the idea. We had no idea how many antiques we owned and I had let my wife get committed to the idea of saving them

- Dozens of boxes of beautiful sweaters, coats, jackets that were so necessary in the Pacific NW and in the northern cities where I did most of my work

- Several boxes of very nice hiking and climbing jackets, pants, boots

- Many boxes of very expensive kitchenware, cooking ware, silverware, dishes, and china

- My favorite custom leather overstuffed chair and ottoman

- A really ugly 6’ x 4’ oil on wood painting that had belonged to my wife’s Grandfather from Austria

- Several “rare” custom made pieces of furniture we purchased from our homes original owner in 1982. He had them built by a locally famous artist.

- Two steamer trunks full of very old, very fragile Christmas ornaments, some of which are from 19th century Europe

- Beautiful antique clothing an furs that my wife’s mother and grandmother had given her over the years

Once that stuff was in storage we decided “Oh – what the heck let’s just fill the rest of the space with the stuff we were going to give away.”

We had no idea that in 26-years of marriage and family life that we had accumulated so much stuff we could not live without.

Now, fast forward to 2007, it has been 6-years and we are living in a small apartment with the intent of going cruising again and we are still renting that big storage unit at a cost of $2,400 per year.

We finally accepted the fact that we had not touched anything in the storage unit except to remove a few kitchen items and my leather chair. We looked closely at all the “grandma” furniture and decided there was no way we would want any of it in a modern home in either San Diego or Florida.

So, I hired a local antiques dealer who emptied out the storage unit and conducted two auctions. We netted $4,000 against the $14,400 we spent on storage in the prior 6-years.

After the auction we still owned:

- the “rare” antiques
- the ugly picture
- a lot of clothes we can’t bring ourselves to part with
- the LPs
- the photographs
- the Christmas Ornaments
- A lot, boxes and boxes, of clothing

We had to rent a 2nd garage in our apartment complex to hold the stuff that did not sell at the antiques auctions. $1,200 a year!

I then started selling stuff on Craig’s List and got rid of much of the clothing and many of the antiques. After a year I had cleared about $1,000 from those sales.

But, in the 8-years we had the apartment after our first cruise and before we moved aboard again in summer 2013, we accumulated more stuff that we just could not part with.

So, now in San Diego, 1,200 miles from our original huge storage unit in Tacoma, we again own a 10’x10’ storage unit that is costing us $140/month, or about $2,400 since we moved aboard Mirador. We know about half the stuff is disposable and when we go cruising again in the fall we will need to find a way to part with a lot of that stuff.

However, when we go cruising again we’ll still need a 6’x8’ unit for the really “invaluable” stuff we must keep.

But, now we have discovered another un-anticipated problem. We want to leave San Diego and terminate our California resident status. But, if we keep the San Diego storage unit it will almost certainly mean we are still California residents and will have to pay California income tax and property tax on the boat.

DO NOT underestimate the difficulty of getting rid of decades of accumulations that define your life and you think you might want in the future.

We know we have spent over $15,000 to store junk that we now understand we will never use and should have never kept.

Old 23-11-2015, 06:01   #18

Yes, I can see how "stuff" is so hard to get rid of. I am not as bad as my wife but when I met her she had a 4500 sq ft house with an unfinished basement with almost 20 years of a previous marriage of "stuff". I cannot begin to describe the boxes of kids memories that we have to keep until they are on their own....I could fill a 10x10 with just that stuff!

In the end we, as a society, place so much emphasis, so much meaning on "stuff" that is hard to break away from it all. sigh
Old 23-11-2015, 06:21   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
It is liberating.

I was so tied down by so much stuff that filled rooms (furniture, etc)and have eliminated almost all with my eventual goal of having just what I can carry on the future boat.

I still have large photographs and canvases and some things that will not fit on a boat, so still must reduce, but I well remember the freedom or relief I felt when lots of big stuff was off my back.

My friends thought it crazy to sell all of my nice furniture, but on a boat, the furniture is all "built-in."
We took down all of our photos and took them all out of the frames. I gave all the frames away to neighbors, friends, and Goodwill. The photos will go into albums which will go to our children but not until after I have scanned them all into my computer. The larger things that can't be scanned will be photographed. For now I am storing those things in a large pine chest my husband built for me the first year we were married. That will also eventually go to the kids, but for now is one of the (very) few things we will be storing.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 06:55   #20

Moved a year and a half ago after being in the same house for 18 years.
Throw it all out! Much easier than trying to find people to take you crap. Gave up on that after a few no shows for people claiming to want things.
18 months later and I'm still taking truckloads to the dump, mostly high quality name brand solid wood furniture. No Ikea stuff. Full Roxton rock maple dining room set went last time, hutch, china cabinet, serving cart, 6 chairs and the table, couldn't find a person to take it even for free. My grandmother would flip if she knew that went to the dump!
Old 23-11-2015, 07:49   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post

Now the big question, what to do with all the toys my wife is saving for future grand children ....hmmmm.
a) speed op the grand children process and pass the trouble over to your kids,

b) buy a vacuum pump (like one used in vacuum bagging boat building) and vacuum bag the toys (works great with teddy bears, less so with Lego bricks),

c) take the toys onboard, let your kids have some fun buying new toys "for their kids" ;-) sure,

So to say I think you have options.

b.
Old 23-11-2015, 08:11   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I sold the house and land a couple of months ago, and have to be out of the house by the end of the year and into a house we have rented.
I have a hanger with an old airplane in it I plan to keep, $125 a month and has an enormous amount of room that I can store everything that doesn't need to be climate controlled. Even with the little airplane it in there is a whole lot of space.
I assume I will also be renting a climate controlled storage space for the furniture etc. as well., I don't know the cost of one of those.

We started out getting rid of stuff pretty good, but have run out of steam. We both work and I want to spend weekends on the boat. I hope when warm weather returns we will pick up steam again and that we will throw away a lot of stuff when we move next month too.
My problem is the high end stuff, I don't mind tossing junk, the Specialized Rock Hoppers for example, but my Titanium Lightspeed, or my Tandem Rans Screamer? What to do with them? Old bikes, but very high end, but who wants an old high end bike?
Then tools, I have nearly every tool imaginable, spent God knows how much over the years, what do you do with tools? I got rid or the Tractor and Backhoe, they were easy, but I guess I'll have to keep the tools.
Old 23-11-2015, 08:17   #23

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Speaking of storage space costs and things that are too expensive; has anyone priced out buying a small bit of land way outside of the city, sticking a wild goat on it so you can call it pastureland and avoid some tax, and installing a small shed to store your things? It seems over as long a time span as some have been storing their things, one may come out ahead!
Particularly pertinent to me as I fear my free 8'x4' corner of my parents' basement may be getting repurposed soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-11-2015, 08:20   #24

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
a) speed op the grand children process and pass the trouble over to your kids,

b) buy a vacuum pump (like one used in vacuum bagging boat building) and vacuum bag the toys (works great with teddy bears, less so with Lego bricks),

c) take the toys onboard, let your kids have some fun buying new toys "for their kids" ;-) sure,

So to say I think you have options.

b.
Sadly, I think these are toys that stay at Grandma's house for when the non-existent grandkids come over. At least, that was the plan before the living on board plan.

First off, my kids don't plan on having any kids any time soon. The oldest, 25, is living with her boyfriend and no future plans for a wedding or kids. They have a dog. The second oldest, 23, is still living at home in his last year of school. His girlfriend is a recent grad/new nurse, and she has it all planned out. No wedding for him for 5 more years, but a dog in the near future. The youngest, at age 18 and a senior in high school, also no immediate plans for kids (knock on wood...).

Frankly, with the economy the way it is, my kids are all a bit reluctant to bring on additional financial burdens as large as kids. They haven't seen prosperity in their working lifetimes. Will be interesting when things get turned around for real.

Lucky for me, the wife wants to move out of Ohio and to the ocean somewhere.

~ Following Cs ~

P.S. our kids' names all begin with the letter C, hence the future s/v name, life after the C's leave home.
Old 23-11-2015, 09:02   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Thing about land is taxes.
you just can't buy a small portion of land without paying a premium, but say you got an acre for 3K, good shed with a concrete foundation to keep it dry will cost what another 3K?

Four years of hangar rent for me, no taxes and no up-keep of any kind. People aren't getting rich with renting out storage buildings, there was a flush of building those things 20 or so years ago with the theory of being a lot of money to make, but like most make money with little work schemes, it didn't pay out.
Coin car washes and big ice machines fit into that category as well
Old 23-11-2015, 09:14   #26

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks for doing the math a64 It always seems like those storage units cost more than a concrete pad and some off-highway land should be worth, but I guess my comparison is to free storage
Now if only I had some friends who were still into that big farmland-investing craze of the 90's and aughts The Eastern Shore still has a bunch of land at $1500/acre that is probably suitable for rent to a farmer, but you do have to buy a bunch of it at once!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-11-2015, 09:16   #27

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
We have been trying to prep the house for sale in the spring. My goal was to fill 1 trash can a week. It is not enough and now have increased to 2 trash cans a week, hoping to be ready to list by March 2016. I cannot believe how much crap we have accumulated in 15 years in a 3,000 sq ft house with apparently way too much storage space. I am throwing away empty boxes from electronics we dont even have anymore. I am not even talking about the things going to charity or garage sales. This is such a liberating feeling, but yet the reflection on all the stuff is a bit overwhelming.

Maybe this belongs in confessional, but we are prepping to live aboard. Making progress for when the last kids heads to college.

Now the big question, what to do with all the toys my wife is saving for future grand children ....hmmmm.

~Followings Cs~

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
It took us 3 goes to depart the country. We've now been liveaboards for 2 years.

We still have two storage lockers in Australia full of stuff.

I spent several weeks running around the neighbourhood on rubbish night filling up bins.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-11-2015, 09:19   #28

Boat: Islander Freeport 41

Talking about stuff, take a look at this:

How true!
Old 23-11-2015, 09:31   #29

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

We have a long term goal of getting a Kadey Krogen in about 10 years and moving aboard when our youngest finishes college. Our house is a mess and I finally told my husband that living in squalor (OK - it's not that bad but we still do have things around here that we don't really need) is not going to make living easier and then we just need to get rid of stuff anyway. So let's start now!!

Our first stop was the garage and when he told me to move the box of audio cables into the "keep" pile, I pointed out that most of this stuff was from when he was in college and he hasn't used it since. We've been married 30 years so if he's not used it for 30 years, can we please get rid of it? "We're krogening, honey!" Hence a new term was coined in our house. LOL We got rid of half of the stuff in the garage already!! Slowly but surely, we will get this place emptied out, be able to live in a much more clutter free environment for the next bunch of years and while I'm sure it will still be a project to get rid of everything for the actual moving aboard, at least we're not holding onto stuff we don't need in the meantime! I'm very much enjoying doing this "krogening" since I've been trying to do it for years but hubby has been resistant but now that he has a solid goal in mind, he's all on board!
Old 23-11-2015, 09:32   #30

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Just be careful. I dumped damn near everything and later had to buy a few replacements mostly for the galley- iron skillet, microwave, propane tank, coffee pot, plastic storage containers, misc. implements.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: