Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 18:22   #1

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Trial Run in an RV . . . Am I Silly ?

Hello all,

For the past 2 weeks, my bf and I have been living in a 26 ft. travel trailor. We have a long commute to work (other coast of Florida) and gave up our corporate furnished apt. to try something a little bit different. We joke (sort of) that this is a trial run to see if we are compatible in a very small space. So far it's interesting. I realize it's not EXACTLY like a boat. We are connected to "shore power" so nothing to worry about there. And if I threw him "overboard" when he was driving me crazy, he'd really only land about two feet down on the grass...and fireants might be the biggest danger he'd confront as a MOB. But I think we'll learn something about compatibility, at the very least. We opted to not get cable., so no TV, and to do without internet if the stray wireless wasn't available (it is sporadically a weak to moderate signal) Again..unlike real "cruisers", this is our part time residence. We still have the big house with the pool on the other coast....our days off are often spent there. But I think it's a good start. I'm learning about this "sailor's midnight" though. Even though we work long hours, days seem longer without some of the distractions of modern society. 9 pm rolls around and it feels like...bedtime.
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 18:32   #2

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Re: Trial run in an RV...am I silly?

We spent 4 years fulltime in a converted bus before buying Gray Hawk last fall. We have often commented on the many similarities between the two lifestyles. Now having spent 7 months onboard we have moved back into the bus to escape the PNW tourist season. Each mode has some definite advantages. I think I prefer the boat and I'm sure Marilyn prefers the bus. But in each case its almost an even trade off so I expect we'll have both for a while now. Eventually we plan to transition completely onto the boat.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 18:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

DC... you might want to check out one of our other Social Knowledge sites iRV2 - The Friendly RV Forum Community
Old 31-07-2011, 18:52   #4

Sounds awesome! Houses are way overrated. What kind of TT?
cmzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 18:58   #5

Boat: Tayana 37

I've lived in a 30 ft 5th wheel trailer now for 6 years. My work is in the Energy/Construction buisness and i move from project to project. I tried it to see how I would like it and at this point the only thing that will get me to leave it is a boat. I often joke that the trailer is just dryland training for the boat, but it is in many ways. My girlfriend and I shared it for 2 1/2 years but she decided settling into a permanent address was what she wanted, and so she did. I'm a very happy camper and hope you will be too. Good luck!
Old 31-07-2011, 19:01   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzs View Post
Sounds awesome! Houses are way overrated. What kind of TT?
Gosh...should I know this?? lol A friend's that wanted it out of storage? The name on the side says "Terry" and something about 50th anniversary edition. It's quite comfy, actually. We spend a lot of time outside, that's part of the fun. Even in this heat...which the past week has been completely MISERABLE...it's been nice to sit outside and have dinner and watch what's going on around us. Walking to bathhouse for shower isn't annoying me too much yet. It has a shower...but...I prefer not to use it. I don't like the "shower's" on boats either... Something about feeling cramped and below and fighting to stay in place. I've always preferred the freshwater rinse on deck.
Old 31-07-2011, 19:02   #7

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Very similar lifestyle, a good way to adjust. At different times in my life, I once lived in a motorcoach for six years and at another spent 5 years in my old Peterbilt (eighteen wheeler) seeing the country with my dog. Moving onto the boat full time was a very easy transition. I can't imagine living on land in a house on a piece of dirt again. It would be awful.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:19   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Trial Run in an RV . . . Am I Silly ?

For the full effect just park it in knee-deep water.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Before spending the money on our first liveaboard boat we rented an old trailer (so old it had fins!) and blocked off the last third of it to simulate our space aboard. We spent ten comfortable months in the trailer, so we moved aboard the boat!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46   #10

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I purchased a 19' trailer to live in during my search for the "Perfect boat" (Still looking), I think that when I move on to the boat I will wonder how I ever lived in that small space.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

We are letting the granddaughter rent out home and I've moved my wife and I into our 36' motorhome. Mostly to get her used to downsizing, must be able to get underway in 1 hour. Shorten the time later..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 16:06   #12

MarkJ, you always crack me up.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it might be a fun little trial. I wonder how the space equates---a 36-40 ft boat (which is what we are looking for) and a 26' Travel trailer? Obviously the floor is wider, since it's flat, otherwise I think it's probably about equal, with regard to storage, etc.
Old 01-08-2011, 17:52   #13

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71
MarkJ, you always crack me up.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it might be a fun little trial. I wonder how the space equates---a 36-40 ft boat (which is what we are looking for) and a 26' Travel trailer? Obviously the floor is wider, since it's flat, otherwise I think it's probably about equal, with regard to storage, etc.
We live in a 38ft Monaco Diplomat motor home during hurricane season and then on a 37 irwin sloop. Both are about the same in space. Wife and lazy 19 yr old son prefer the rv (ac and video games) I prefer the boat. I need to find a marina in Florida that houses both.
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 18:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIMPLELIFE View Post
We live in a 38ft Monaco Diplomat motor home during hurricane season and then on a 37 irwin sloop. Both are about the same in space. Wife and lazy 19 yr old son prefer the rv (ac and video games) I prefer the boat. I need to find a marina in Florida that houses both.
Must agree with lazy son...at least about the AC! It's so miserably hot in FL right now. I've lived near the equator with no AC before...but for some reason this feels worse!

So apparently the RV power grid (or whatever the proper term would be) does not like hair dryers. I tripped the breaker and had to go fix it. Outside at night and spider webs on the box. Ugh! I can be pretty tough when needed (I am, after all, an ER nurse) but I just do NOT like bugs. Ugh! Oh well...guess I'm better for the experience.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:33   #15

Yes, any load that uses electrical resistance to make heat is a challenge on a boat (hair dryer, electric coffee pot, clothes iron). But it sounds like you're bringing your sense of humor along on your adventure, and learning a lot.

BTW, don't laugh, there is such a thing as a butane-powered curling iron for keeping your 'do going while camping. (Kinda sounds oxymoronic to me, but, what do I know?)
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote