Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-08-2011, 07:10   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 47
Re: Trial Run in an RV . . . Am I Silly ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
I can be pretty tough when needed (I am, after all, an ER nurse) but I just do NOT like bugs. Ugh! Oh well...guess I'm better for the experience.
Don't feel too bad, many macho, he-man types are not fond of needles. But could kill a spider in a sec!

(Me, for one)

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I look forward to moving out of our 10.5' cabover camper and in to our 40' boat. It looks like a palace in comparison.
There are significant differences.
The boat will have no ants, fewer flies, fewer mice, a better view, and more interesting neighbors than you'll usually have in an RV park.
The RV has unlimited water and electricity.
Boats are built to take a lot of abuse, RV's are plastic pieces of ****.
The RV has better ventilation and heating, the boat is just plain beautiful.
I was proud to say that I lived on a boat last time we did it, I've never been too proud of living in a Lance camper.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:53   #18

How about a Unimog for the camp rig and pull a smaller cruiser. Do some exploring and baot camping and head to the mother ship in foul weather. When you have seen the area, move on to a new one.

I think that window placement in boats is better than most of the old campers I stayed in, giving the feeling of more room. Looking out from the camper and seeing a tree three feet away isn't the same as a view across a lake....to me anyway.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43   #19

With all the Cats being in Florida and I living in Minnesota......I just bought a Vixen 21 SE....now I can go down to Florida and drive from marina to marina looking for my Catalac 9m (or other fine cat) and I wont have to worry about renting a car or finding a place to stay every night.......And she gets 20 MPG.....

70AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70AMX View Post
With all the Cats being in Florida and I living in Minnesota......I just bought a Vixen 21 SE....now I can go down to Florida and drive from marina to marina looking for my Catalac 9m (or other fine cat) and I wont have to worry about renting a car or finding a place to stay every night.......And she gets 20 MPG.....
Also, you can sell it when you find your home. Boat.

I'll be towing a 19' trailer for the same reason.
Old 08-08-2011, 15:13   #21

I'm in the process of converting a 36ft bus to a motorhome to see the country but a boat has always interested me. The power issues are same because we don't intend to hook up to any external power supply, all solar and lithium batteries, combined with a big enough inverter it can supply almost anything we use at home. We are practicing at the moment, slowly converting everything in the house over to running off the inverter and solar. Suprisingly, with the lithium batteries even the microwave can be used but the electric grill and hotwater service are out of the question.

With a boat, what happens in a big storm is my major concern, that fact I don't have a clue about sailing comes into as well :lol:

T1 Terry
Old 08-08-2011, 15:45   #22

Best thing to do with a big storm is not get in it. Watch the weather and know where you are in relation to the weather. If you do get stuck in it, far from shore is better, nothing to hit. Drop your sails, throw out a sea anchor and hold on.
Old 09-08-2011, 15:52   #23

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing
Yes, any load that uses electrical resistance to make heat is a challenge on a boat (hair dryer, electric coffee pot, clothes iron). But it sounds like you're bringing your sense of humor along on your adventure, and learning a lot.

BTW, don't laugh, there is such a thing as a butane-powered curling iron for keeping your 'do going while camping. (Kinda sounds oxymoronic to me, but, what do I know?)
Yes I learned! I remember having a butane curling iron when I was in high school, put it in my purse. Of course once it ran out of butane, it was a hassle. :-) I can't be bothered with those things these days. I just used the hair dryer cuz I wanted to be dry. Humidity SUCKS right now...but I gave up on that, also. So far the RV is fun. Not sure I would want it for the long haul because as was pointed out in later posts, the quality just sucks! It's a fun trial run tho, especially figuring out space constraints. My boyfriend is working nights tho, and he's not sleeping well.
Old 09-08-2011, 16:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
My boyfriend is working nights tho, and he's not sleeping well.
Aluminum Foil on the windows makes it DARK. Keeps the sun out, prevents fading of the curtains, and reduces heat inside. Can't do anything about noise, but you can make it almost sleepable.
Old 17-08-2011, 17:29   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
We are good on light, have it nice and dark. Just the afternoon squalls that we get this time of year, not to mention the gusts of wind. But he has adjusted well. We are in it another month before my friend wants to take it back and sell it. Overall it's been fun. Still want something that floats tho!!!
Old 18-08-2011, 08:44   #26

Wind and squalls come up at night, too. So it's not the sleeping during the day that's the bother. As for something that floats, that'll come. Keep looking and asking around at the docks. The best buys are generally not advertised, they go too fast.
Old 18-08-2011, 08:49   #27

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Where's the sails???
Old 19-08-2011, 21:09   #28

We are looking. However, obligations to family tie us ashore for 3 more years. Getting a boat now is too soon... I'm enjoying my girl's last years of school. So we keep looking...and looking. But it's a GOOD thing. I learn more with every boat we see. My outlook is "Bloom where you are...".
Old 19-08-2011, 21:56   #29

"Family tie us ashore for 3 more years."
I have put up with things that tie me to the shore for over a year. I don't think I could take two more years. My girlfriend asked me to take my house off the market for 6 months, I said I couldn't. I really think I would swallow a 38 if I had to stay that long.

Sorry, you don't know my story, you would understand if you did. And I won't give it here.
Old 20-08-2011, 05:18   #30

Nah it's all good. I might be stir-crazy three years from now, tho. Though the 38 method is too messy. :-). I'm enjoying the land life, summer cook outs, the pool, my favorite hang outs, and my kids before they grow up. To be fair, I live in a pretty spectacular place, IMO. Small city beachside living is pretty nice---Makes it easier. Not over-populated, can be at a beach in 7 minutes. Loads of on the water hangouts to socialize, etc.

My friend (who is now cruising the Sea of Cortes) gave me the phrase "bloom where you are". So when I find myself getting impatient, I try and remember that phrase. It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: