Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2012, 18:53   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Traveling off the hook!

Just wondered how diificult it is to travel and spend most of the time at anchor instead of in Marinas, is there a specific anchor that stands out over the rest for this?! The savings over say a 12 month period would really add up, no? Here in southern Spain i dont see many traveling boats at anchor but that could be due to lack of shelter!Does it make things difficult wth customs each time you enter a new country? Also, if you were to spend say 2-3 weeks at same marina is it easy to get better rates? im talking 40ft! many thanks!

Old 18-08-2012, 19:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Traveling off the hook!

Yes, less shelter there. Where there used to be shelter/anchorage once, today there is a marina. They knew how to kick us out.

Many marinas offer discount if you stay longer but not many southern Spain marinas do so in the high season. But generally this is a rule so investigate every time you use a marina.

Being at anchor is less convenient, less comfortable and you must be weather-aware. Sometimes weather can change very dramatically and where you thought you had good protection pops there is none.

Customs/immigration generally do not bother you unless you have some fancy flag.

Cheers,
b.

Old 18-08-2012, 19:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks B, ive found marinas here on the costa del sol long term fr 450-1100 euros per month for 40ft, i was just looking ahead to our eventual goal of crossing to Tenerife and on to the caribean, wondered how easy it is there to just drop the hook or what a 40ft boat would expect to pay for a 2 weeks stay in the same marina?? Marathon in the florida keys seems very boat friendly compared to other parts of the keys ive researched! Just trying to work my rough sums out! we are waiting on a property sale that may well go through (at last) in the next couple of months so just want to be ahead of the game! also, are you guys in the caribean able to pick up wifi from outside the marinas if on hook or do you have to go ashore? ive seen the thread re mast antennas for wifi!
Old 18-08-2012, 19:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

in fact, a better question i guess would be what would you think an average monthly cost would be for your morring fees if you were in the caribean and on the move 4 to 5 times per month? I understand that some places are premium (key west, Miami, etc) but if you were island hopping? what could it average out at per month for a 40ft boat? -30-40-50 $ per day? never been (on a sail boat) so dont have 1st idea apart from the one day on line charges ive found!
Old 18-08-2012, 19:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tenerife, Canary Islands has a good number of marinas and most here offer long time discount. I think most use a 3-month's minimum but many give better than daily rates if you prepay a month. Daily rates tend to be steep.

If you want to anchor, the Eastern Canaries have better anchorages - Lanzarote, Fuerte and Grancan, there are fewer anchorages on the Western Canaries and many of them rolly.

If you want to sail to Canaries from Gibraltar, do it in the summer or early fall, late fall and winter can be iffy and you may be waiting for a good wx window for weeks.

In the Caribbean there are very many places to anchor. One can stay at anchor for months and not pay a dime. But few do. Often you see an anchorage overcrowded midday and all your for the night.

You must remember West Indies are very many countries and each has its own rules and fees. If you do not like it here you can always go to elsewhere overnight.

Cheers,
b.
Old 18-08-2012, 20:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks again, im not to worried about spain and the canaries as have that covered, im really more interested in the area i dont know in the caribean....if you were on the move, say an average of 5 moves per month, you decide not to drop the hook but want to stay in marinas, what could it average out at per mnth for a 40ft boat (yes, some marinas would be more expensive than others) could you do it for $1000 per month???
Old 18-08-2012, 21:09   #7

Boat: Corbin39
I don't know about the west indies but in the Florida keys you probably won't find any marinas for a grand a mo. Unless you sign a lease. Most of the marinas I've stayed in from Largo to Key West will run $1,600 or more by the month. But it is very easy and convenient to drop the hook all through the keys for as long as you like.
Old 19-08-2012, 06:57   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In West Indies many places seem to have rates about to 1 USD per foot per night. I think it was sort of a benchmark in many places we visited. There are many spots way more expensive and some are less expensive. Long prepaid stays could be gotten at discount where we visited.

However, if we were to be long stay then I would go by plane and live in a bungalow. In a boat I am after the mobility, the water and the wind and care very little about marina prices as long as I can fill our water tanks and buy some diesel there.

Anchorages are free at places and in other places they may charge you. No hard rule other than if space is limited, anchorage is not likely to be free.

If you know where you want to go, you can either google the prices out or else sent an email to a marina and ask a quote.

Cheers,
b.
Old 19-08-2012, 07:19   #9

In the USA, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean you can anchor out every night if you wish. There are very few places you can't anchor, mainly due to overcrowding, but almost every harbor has someplace to anchor. Someone said $1600 per month for dockage in Florida, and that may be true if you pay a short-term rate in a first-rate marina, but there are lots of dockage deals in Florida, especially in the off season. I have found dockage for $300 or less per month in odd spots, private docks, etc. You just have to look and ask around. There are also rental moorings (swinging on a ball out on the water) many places these days, and sometimes it can be as cheap as $10 per night and other times it can be $40, $50, or more (up in New England). Several places in Florida have rental moorings for around $300 per month.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: