Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-09-2008, 10:26   #16

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Hydrovane

Henry,
My new old boat has a Hydrovane, and I love it. Much simpler to use than I expected.

Old 27-09-2008, 11:20   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's a conundrum. If you buy one of the more popular boats; Beneteau, Catalina, Island Packet and of course the more expensive ones, you will be able to sell easier but spend a lot more money. If you buy a well cared for less popular model you can save a lot of initial investment, but take longer to sell. Try to pay 30% less than asking price... this also depends on popularity. DOnt underestimate outfitting. If a boat has a lot of equiptment that will save a lot IF the equipment isnt too old. A boat loaded with old equipment should really not be worth much more than a sparsly equipped boat. Of course anchors, windlasses, stoves etc are an exception, that stuff usually works for a long time... but is that 200 ft pile of chain all rusty at the bottom? Is the fridge an old R12 unit? etc. Also be careful about older boats with low engine hours, not running an engine much is often worse than it getting used more often in the marine environment. Figure 1.5 years to resell and about 25% less than the broker tells you to list it at... agin depending on the popularity of the boat and economy. Should be a great time to buy a boat right now.

Old 27-09-2008, 14:20   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...Try to pay 30% less than asking price... this also depends on popularity. DOnt underestimate outfitting. If a boat has a lot of equiptment that will save a lot IF the equipment isnt too old. A boat loaded with old equipment should really not be worth much more than a sparsly equipped boat. Of course anchors, windlasses, stoves etc are an exception, that stuff usually works for a long time...
Actually, for most owner installed equipment, I DEDUCT value.
It's going to cost me time & money to make things right, & update any obsolete gear.
My ideal used boat, had a timid PO, afraid to add or modify ANYTHING. The boat may be old & slightly worn, but otherwise in factory condition.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 15:49   #19

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
A "float" and a sergeant. Welcome aboard... We have a Sergeant of Marines son who is currently on a float on board Iwo Jima. They just transited the Suez Canal, heading for the Persan Gulf. He's a grunt and proud of it, and is on his fourth tour to the middle east.

There is nothing on earth or sea or air like a Marine.
Old 27-09-2008, 21:19   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
That sounds like my Ericson

The previous owner didn't add a thing except a vhf radio.

ALL of the wiring was in its original position and never "muxxed" with.

Mux is a word my mom loved.....it is in the same family as futz......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Actually, for most owner installed equipment, I DEDUCT value.
It's going to cost me time & money to make things right, & update any obsolete gear.
My ideal used boat, had a timid PO, afraid to add or modify ANYTHING. The boat may be old & slightly worn, but otherwise in factory condition.
Old 28-09-2008, 11:48   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well... there are a lot of sloppy boat workers out there too, but I agree that sometimes the perfect boat is a bare bones boat if you are capable of adding the things you want.
Old 04-10-2008, 22:50   #22

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
If you go to www.yachtworld.com and put in your criteria then you will come up with hundereds of boats, a good monohull in the Beneteau, and some good multi's (which offer twice the space of a similar sized mono) are, Gemini 105Mc, Manta, Leopard, and several others that i don't remember the company names at the moment.
Old 08-11-2008, 14:17   #23

Boat: Stamas 44
I happened to be reading liveaboard thread. Is your Catalina still for sale?
Thanks for your reply
Old 10-11-2008, 15:45   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Hi Matthew Welcome aboard,
You have come to a good place for advice and information they are generally a good lot here.
Little Otter has good advice you can find all sorts at yachtworld.
The advice we give here is based on the boats we have sailed and own and to some extent we all think our own boat is one of the best.
You don't say if you are on your own or have crew, if you are solo bear in mind that a big boat is harder to manage on your own, personally I wouldn't go bigger than 34' unless you were looking at a multihull (for serious offshore sailing in a multihull I don't think it is safe to sail in anything under 40'). My own boat a Vancouver 27' was circumnavigated singlehanded 1990 to 1993 I know that's small but if you are on your own you don't need a lot of space to be confortable. In England my boat is described as 'Cozy'. Again in my opinion I would go for something a bit heavier with a longish keel or perhaps a cat as cats are generally much faster.
I wish you all the very best, just do it, go as soon as you can.
Old 10-11-2008, 18:28   #25

Pirates

Please elaborate on "seeing some somalian pirates"... we intend to one day transit the Suez canal and would like any information on the Somalian pirates around the area. I have read all the other feeds on the topic on this forum and others but would like to hear some first hand experience.
Cheers,
Nathan
Old 10-11-2008, 21:54   #26

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Catalina 42

Pandie,

I presume you are referring to my post about our Catalina 42. We have withdrawn it from the market. Major life changes are in our near future, and preclude buying the larger boat we had planned on. That's deferred for now. We actually love our boat, and will enjoy it for the next couple of years, then we'll see.
Old 27-11-2008, 05:02   #27

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
mate you dont mention anything about your sailing experience, have you sailed a 40ft boat solo before?
Old 27-11-2008, 06:35   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewm0311 View Post
I'm looking for a quality sailboat and would like recommendations on a good manufacturer. Something used in the 40' range. My budget is 90-150K, reasonable? (I was looking at Jeanneau's and Beneteau's)

It’s sufficient if you can avoid some pitfalls. The lines you mention build mostly coastal cruisers which is suitable for all the locations you plan to go to, short of doing the transatlantic to get to the med. The tradeoff is not being so well suited for bluewaters is that they are more spacious and airy.

As for costs and such, keep in mind maintenance costs tend to be more and more frequent than land based dwellings. So I would take the amount you project you’ll be able to buy and cut in by 30% to 50%. This way you won’t be strapped if you get a rip in your dodger or need to buy new lines. 80k with 50k in repairs and refits would not be a bad start, you might be able to do better if you know what you’re doing.

Quote:
I plan to live aboard for a while and keep to the waters of the east coast. Until I feel comfortable to venture out (Caribbean, South America, and eventually the Mediterranean) I admit I don't know much, but I'm eager and willing to learn.

That sounds like good plan. Since you mentioned you don’t know much, I am going to assume that includes sailing. If that’s the case take some lessons. It will be money well spent and you might be able to work it through the local MWR. Once that happens, crew on every boat you can. You’ll learn a lot, including what models you like.

Quote:
Yes, I've heard owning a boat is like throwing money overboard. But I also heard that some quality boats hold their value if well maintained and upgraded regularly.

Both are true. Owning a boat is like renting an apartment where you had to put down a HUGE security fee.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 18:36   #29

Send a message via MSN to Matthewm0311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Itís sufficient if you can avoid some pitfalls. The lines you mention build mostly coastal cruisers which is suitable for all the locations you plan to go to, short of doing the transatlantic to get to the med. The tradeoff is not being so well suited for bluewaters is that they are more spacious and airy.

As for costs and such, keep in mind maintenance costs tend to be more and more frequent than land based dwellings. So I would take the amount you project youíll be able to buy and cut in by 30% to 50%. This way you wonít be strapped if you get a rip in your dodger or need to buy new lines. 80k with 50k in repairs and refits would not be a bad start, you might be able to do better if you know what youíre doing.

That sounds like good plan. Since you mentioned you donít know much, I am going to assume that includes sailing. If thatís the case take some lessons. It will be money well spent and you might be able to work it through the local MWR. Once that happens, crew on every boat you can. Youíll learn a lot, including what models you like.

Both are true. Owning a boat is like renting an apartment where you had to put down a HUGE security fee.

Wow! Thanks for all the information, this helps a lot.
Old 08-12-2008, 19:55   #30

Boat: 38ft Irwin center cockpit sloop MERIDIAN
Matthew,
Nothing to do with buying or selling boats...........but thank you for your service and sacrifice for our wonderful country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: