Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 22:52   #31
cruiser

Re: Trailerable Liveaboard - Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
Check out the larger, over 30 ft. folding trimarans, Corsair, Farrier, contour, Dragonfly, etc. for light weight boats with fairly large accommodation.
They look fantastic. Foldable, trailer able, shallow draft and fast out on water.
Pricey though
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 23:17   #32

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

As I am wont to do here sometimes, please allow me to wax nostalgic about my days (years) living in my 1977 VW camper all over Colorado and then later, Europe and around the Med with my first wife. It was amazing, and SUPER COZY Little RV lets you get into lots of places the big boys can't go, and it has everything you need. So for a boat, I don't see why not, as long as you keep a hard eye on the weather? We got three adults and three cats in this family, so we needed/wanted something bigger afloat, but I could totally see taking something micro and making it adorable and fully functional. Much like bus life, tho, you gotta love things being SUPER COZY or you'll go crazy
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 00:35   #33

Boat: Imexus 28

Hi Sojourner Did the same with my ex partner and unplanned daughters mother in Europe before she was born in something just a bit newer and bigger than your combi, a cross between German and Italian being a small Knaus A class on a Fiat Ducato base in 2002. Have fun ladies and cats. My First mate daughter and I are cat people as well but you will know all too well that dogs have owners and cats have servants! Kind Regards Graeme and Annabel.
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 04:30   #34

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What you need is a Catamaran that breaks down. One you can remove the connectives from and not worry about the beam restriction of 8.5ft
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 05:38   #35

Hi Chotu Having looked at nearly every solution to this I could find for the last twenty plus years could you please post up some links to your proposed suggested breakapart trailable liveaboard Catamaran. I owned and extensively multi week cruised on a trailable Catamaran being a Jarcat 6 for many years. I wouldn’t live on one of these however for more than that as it was just too small and cramped. I have seen some mechano set breakapart transportable cruising cats but wouldn’t call them trailable just transportable as the setup and launch times ran into hours.
Some of the big trailable fold out trimarans get there like the Dragonfly28 and big Farriers but have yet to see a big cat that folds up adequately easily to be really called trailable that also had adequate accommadation to live on for months on end. I have seen many designs and some in the flesh that in practice where almost never folded or deconstructed for trailering. These I would call transportable yachts rather than trailer sailers.
Regards Graeme
Jarcat 6 camper Sailer out in the desert followed by Imexus 28 live aboard trailable cruiser out in the desert. Think I must have a navigation problem as often find myself with my yachts a long way from water. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74C4E2FD-BBAD-48E0-B509-AAB49FFA1D3A.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	187918   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1DA088F-F96D-4DEA-95F5-6172244B87B5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	187919  

Old 13-03-2019, 05:52   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And being able to use it as a full-time RV while on the hard or travelling may be important for some.

Probably not those that can afford a multi though.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:44   #37

Hi John Going to differ on that point. Many grey nomads ( older travellers and retired folk) here invest huge money into their motorhomes or caravans from downsizing their large homes to smaller and less well located ones and spending the rest on their travelling home. I have done similar with my choice. One of the main advantages of my trailable yacht is then having as comfortable a package as possible both on land but more importantly on water and avoiding constant campground or hotel fees by living on free waterways and beautiful bays that would cost millions to own a house on. I seriously considered forking out about $150,000 US for a Dragonfly 28 despite being financially constrained myself by further downsizing and doing exactly that. I purchased my very unusual Powersailer for around $50,000 US virtually new instead and kept my riverfront country home which I will holiday rent out in my absence supplying me with some income. Friends on a much more modest budget have done this for thirty years on their 25 foot trailer sailer and are amongst the most highly regarded trailer sailers in Aus doing huge long term wilderness adventures every year on a tiny pension and renting out their modest home whilst away and are now in their eighties. Regards Graeme
Just couldn’t bring myself to make the next step and downsize again from this newly purchased house on a small canoeing only river.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	87C380B1-2A37-4198-8A11-49E2030205C8.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	187921  
Old 13-03-2019, 10:53   #38
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

All good, very nice
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 07:32   #39

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Check out the one, and only, Cat2Fold! PM me for more info, if interested.
Currently living aboard on Pacific Mexico til May or so...

Name:	GOPR9244.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	187989Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	187990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	187991Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	187992
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:30   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Anyone know the feasibility of having a professional boat transport company do the switcheroo twice a year?
For many boats offered on Yacht World, there is a link that takes you to a website that allows you to ask for quotations. If we are talking S. Florida to the PNW it would very expensive even just to have a pro tow a trailer provided by the boat owner.

Trailering a boat between those two locations twice a year is totally impractical versus having two boats and flying back and forth.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoshua View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have stated that we own a 2000 F350 Powerstroke (7.3 liter engine) so hauling not an issue for us and we love road trips. Having stated that, the PNW to FL drive really is a long trip, so appreciate the idea of two boats. Also, with lots of Sea of Cortez experience, am also considering S. AZ, but am feeling need to store boat in US. Thanks again for all your suggestions. I’ve looked up all of the boats recommended. Am experiencing flashbacks of my time on the Santa Cruz 27 when our motley crew took on the Schwenks and Wild Rumpus each Wednesday in the Anacortes regatta!
-Doc
Having a base in S. AZ and trailering your boat to Sea of Cortez, SouCal and points north along the US West Coats is a great idea. A lot more practical than S. Florida / PNW concept. Plus an amazing variety of different climates, different sailing and sea conditions.

The S. Florida / PNW concept would be excellent also. But go with two boats. If you feel like the road trip you can drive(without a trailer in tow). If not, fly.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, trailer