Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 19:31   #1

Touring Oz, Facilities ?

Hi,

My first post (apart from the meet n greet).

Doing my homework at the moment on living aboard in Australia.

My main question is about facilities when touring and what to expect, but first some background.

My wife and I plan to sell up in about a year, buy something about 50 foot (maybe a John Pugh) and invest the rest.

I've looked at several posts on the "no live-aboard" rules in much of Oz and have been thinking of contingencies. We don't just want to tie up and never leave the dock or the mooring. We'll do some day and overnight trips first then longer journeys.

Melbourne, where we live, has much of the coast tied up by gov't authorities and that dreaded rule. Some of the posts in here suggest Queensland is more amenable to liveaboards. Of course, as we've seen recently, Qld can be a dangerous place for boats during summer. So the plan is, spend the cooler 6 or 8 months in Qld and then the summer months touring south-eastern Australia.

Until now, the only sailing I've done has been from boat ramps, hence my ignorance with marinas. I've checked out several marinas, reading their berth and mooring prices, though they seem mostly geared towards long term arrangements and offer little info for visiting vessels.

This prompted several questions. I assume the answer is yes to most of these questions, but you know what they say about assuming. No doubt even if yes, there are watchouts and conditions I should be aware of:
  • Are there places in marinas where you can tie up the dingy and leave it safely for a day (or two) while anchored or moored outside the marina?
  • How long can you be anchored before they'll move you along?
  • Are there temporary moorings available at marinas?
  • Are there docks where you can tie up your boat for the day (or two)?
  • Are docks or temporary berths charged per foot like permanent arrangements usually are?
  • What are the rules about anchoring along unpopulated areas of the coast?
  • Are there insurers who take into account that you won't be in cyclone prone seas during the summer months.
Cheers and thanks.
narrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 23:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Some Comments...

Q.Are there places in marinas where you can tie up the dingy and leave it safely for a day (or two) while anchored or moored outside the marina?
Comment: I don't know about the rest of the world but Sydney sometimes feels like dinghy theft central. That said I've only had a pair of new oars stolen, but I've spoken to a few owners who have had dinghys stolen. I always lock my dinghy and oars together, have it's name permanently inscribed (not the same as the big boat) and don't have anything worth stealing anyway. I've been told that what thieves really like is outboard motors, seemingly the bigger ones are more highly prized. My biggest worry is some drunk who just wants to get home.

Q.How long can you be anchored before they'll move you along? Can vary a bit. Technically 3 days, but I've not heard of it being strictly enforced. At the moment things are really tight and boats seem to be anchoring all over the place for as long as they like. It's before an election so they may crack down or they may not. Blackwattle and Rozelle Bays are favourite cruiser anchoring spots and they look full. There are a few "pink" public moorings that are available for 24 hours, but some seem to stretch this. If your boat looks really spiffy and no one complains how are they to know?

Q.Are there temporary moorings available at marinas?
Comment. Many slipways and marinas in Sydney have Commercial moorings to rent. Mostly it's on a monthly basis, but the smaller operators may let you stay for a few days.

Q.Are there docks where you can tie up your boat for the day (or two)?
Comment. There are, but in Sydney be prepared to be separated from an arm and a leg.

Q.What are the rules about anchoring along unpopulated areas of the coast?
Comment. In general anchoring is permitted in NSW waters, subject to a multitude of restrictions (Naval base, sea grass, penguins...). The NSW Maritime website has much information. In particular they sell large and small scale maps that are accepted by them. These maps show many of the restricted areas.

At the moment in Sydney there are a large number of cruising boats waiting for the end of the cyclone season before going north, and a large marina and mooring field has closed for redevelopment. It's chockers...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 01:22   #3

Great info Boracay. Thanks. In our travels we intend spending quite a bit of time in Sydney, and of course along the NSW coast. Very helpful advice!
narrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 01:34   #4

Boat: Able 50
There are a zillion free anchorages around Broken Bay and a zillion more in Lake Macquarie. You'll need a chart of the lake because there are lots of sandbars as my keel can attest. There is a marina in Newcastle but I don't know of anything free. You can get in to Port Stephens or Port Macquarie in calm or medium weather. The only all weather harbor in the North of NSW is Coffs. The others all require crossing a river bar. Combine calm weather and a high tide and you'll be OK.

There are indeed free public moorings scattered about the place but they are so few in number that you won't pick one up too often in summer. They are painted pink and don't hold your breath while looking. This map index might help.

Boating Maps - NSW Maritime

I don't know of any free mooring in Southport or Mooloolaba but both are great places to visit.

Plenty has been written about cruising Queensland. I guess this guidebook would be the most popular.

Boat Books Australia
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 01:37   #5

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
[QUOTE=narrator;620456]Hi,

• Are there places in marinas where you can tie up the dingy and leave it safely for a day (or two) while anchored or moored outside the marina? Have an UGLY dink and a good padlock
  • How long can you be anchored before they'll move you along?
we anchored in st kilda for two days but it can get rough on the bay and parks vic are really bad

• Are there temporary moorings available at marinas?
  • yes join a royal yacht club
  • Are there docks where you can tie up your boat for the day (or two)? yer if you have a good padlock and make your dink look live it will sink.
  • Are docks or temporary berths charged per foot like permanent arrangements usually are?
  • usually in groups eg 30 to 35 ft are 35 per night (docklands)
  • What are the rules about anchoring along unpopulated areas of the coast? no idea I would say its like Western port no real problem.
  • Are there insurers who take into account that you won't be in cyclone prone seas during the summer months. I asked mine last week and got told they dont care ware I have it as long as im not more that 250nm from Australia and mine will not leave melboune for a wile ether
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas