Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 16:57   #31

Boat: csy 37
Re: Top Ten Suggestions for Tropical Sailing

my big suggestion is to add overhead hatches with screens. our 37 footer has six large overhead opening hatches. we've anchored out on some really hot nights (90F and more) and usually had to close some hatches because it got too cold with all that breeze blowing through. we also have 9 opening side ports but have never opened them for ventilation in the past ten years.

i was going to suggest lots of water capacity but i see you have about 125 gallons. we have 140 and can go several weeks between fills.

other nice thing is that, moving from cold to warm climates, you can really shed the wardrobe. we live in t-shirts and shorts. have a few 'dressy' things for the few occasions that might require them and rain gear of course. our clothes hanging lockers have been modified by installing wire shelves which allows us to put all our clothing in one locker, since nothing needs to be on hangars. t-shirts and shorts are also easier to wash in a bucket.

and sometimes you just get lucky. we had our dinghy trailing astern in an anchorage one night. during the night it rained 'like cats and dogs'. the next morning i noticed the dinghy was full of rain water. did the laundry and both took fresh water baths!!!
Old 25-05-2014, 17:07   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
You will need, also, a companionway screen (too keep out bugs). Mark J has made his into a burglar-proof deal. Ours was all fabric, with a U shaped zip for coming in and out.
How do you attach it to the boat Ann? And on the interior, or exterior? We're designing one for our boat now too & I'm looking for ideas if anyone else wants to pipe up.
Old 28-05-2014, 02:31   #33

Boat: kuiper 32

A wind scoop is vital in the tropics as well as a decent cockpit cover,and we burn insect coils by the main hatch at night for mosquitos with out these 3 things life would not be comfortable.
Old 01-06-2014, 15:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
my big suggestion is to add overhead hatches with screens. our 37 footer has six large overhead opening hatches. we've anchored out on some really hot nights (90F and more) and usually had to close some hatches because it got too cold with all that breeze blowing through. we also have 9 opening side ports but have never opened them for ventilation in the past ten years.

i was going to suggest lots of water capacity but i see you have about 125 gallons. we have 140 and can go several weeks between fills.
My boat, a similar size to yours, spent a lot of time in a previous life in the Tuamotus and has large (600 series) hatches over the v-berth and the saloon, then there is the companionway, the quarter berth has another hatch so there are plenty of hatches. I've added a couple of dorade vents set up so I can move the dorade from the splash box to being directly over the vent.

The large water tanks were also installed there.

Chris
Old 01-06-2014, 18:50   #35

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

One tip no one seems to have mentioned pertains to sailing in and around coral. Move only when the sun is high.

Choose an anchorage that you have an escape route from if the wx changes. Plot your routes into anchorages so you can follow a reciprical course in the dark.

Be prepared to climb the mast to view sand patches on which to anchor (hence the need for chain not rope) as coral bomies and not forgiving. Polaroid sunglasses are an essential for this task.

Be aware of tidal currants around reefs - they may flow faster and opposite to the direction that you believe they should.

Coral anchorages are often deep so carry plenty of chain.

A scuba tank is beneficial to unwrap chains from coral bomies if anchored in a less than optimum anchorage.

Following charts are great but No I eyeball is best - you will soon learn the colour changes and water depths of coral anchoring. Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2014, 20:10   #36

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Stay out of the tropics unless one desires to be in a sauna 24/7. Or at least stay where there are continual trade winds and/or you have constant air conditioning/cooling.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52   #37

Boat: Fortune 30

Yofy has a center cockpit and she's small - 30 feet but perhaps our bimini/ sun shade will give you some ideas:

Note the side curtains which we consider to be essential in hot climates. We also had rectangular sections of sunbrella sewen with gromets in the corners. We can tie these sections wherever the angle of the sun is bothering us... for example over the main hatch. We don't use our dodger during the summer, when temperatures get over 40C (over 100 F), unless we are on a wet passage. It blocks too much air flow.

We sail with our bimini up and she's stood the test in 25 knot winds (with the side curtains rolled up of course).

Robyn and Manny
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29   #38

Other things that we'd suggest:

1. The tropics are not just hot but also humid. Wet and mildew are an issue. You'll want good airflow throughout your boat. Windscoops, opening ports and hatches and 12 volt fans are the answer. On Yofy we have four 12 volt fans: one on each side of our Vberth and 2 in the cabin. One of the cabin fans can be angled to blow on the galley. This REALLY helps when we are cooking in the heat.

2. You will drink much more water than you are accustomed to drinking now. Bacteria loves warm climates, so your water tanks will need to be cleaned regularly. We suggest getting filters on your fresh water system. Ideally a filter online on the water system and another that's portable and connected to a section of hose, so that you can filter water as you tank up. And setting up a rain water catching system too. Even if you only use the rainwater for washing up, you'll be glad of the extra water.

3. Buy long sleeved cotton or linen shirts for sun cover. We wear Indian cotton or gauze type fabric that's not hot but protects our skin on passages. If you are sensitive to heat like we are, then buy only THIN 100% cotton Tshirts and clothes that can breathe.

4. If you don't have refrigeration, then think about where you'll store your fresh food. Critters like cockroaches thrive in the tropics. Strictly follow the no cardboard rule and get some plastic baskets to store your vegetables and fruit. On Yofy we designated a locker under a bench in the salon for our fresh veggies and fruit. Manny put two vents on the locker and we can keep fresh food there for 1 week without spoilage in over 100F weather. Also don't know about your boats design, but if you have a full keel you should be able to use a section of bilge under the floorboards for storing bottled or canned drinks. They will stay quite cool there.

5. Screens are a lifesaver. Mosquitos, no seeums, flies, etc abound. Anchoring out helps but screens, on all ports and hatches are a must. We also carry some mosquito netting that we can drape over our berth or cockpit when bug season is at its worst.

Robyn and Manny
Old 02-06-2014, 13:24   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Stay out of the tropics unless one desires to be in a sauna 24/7. Or at least stay where there are continual trade winds and/or you have constant air conditioning/cooling.
After 8 years in Antarctica and sub Antarctic cruising I'm ready for some heat again
Old 02-06-2014, 13:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
One tip no one seems to have mentioned pertains to sailing in and around coral. Move only when the sun is high.

Choose an anchorage that you have an escape route from if the wx changes. Plot your routes into anchorages so you can follow a reciprical course in the dark.

A scuba tank is beneficial to unwrap chains from coral bomies if anchored in a less than optimum anchorage.
I'm always somewhat incredulous when somebody mentions all chain rode as it never occurred to me the a cruiser would have anything but. Never been on a boat that didn't have all chain rode! Whatever it is I'm not looking forward to wrapping it around one of those infamous bomies!

Don't have any experience in coral but using the sun high and over should is certainly what I try to achieve in any new and tricky passage. Going up the rig compensates for a low sun angle, that's very true - now if only I could buy mast steps that are priced as if they are wrought from pure gold!

I'm not used to having charts that are positionaly accurate, apart from in the Falklands, anyway. Most of the charts that the old guys made were designed for pilotage and can still be used as such (this is a generalisation and not a tropical observation) however can be wildly out when compared to satellite derived positions.. freaks some people out As an aside I've had clients freaking out when the chart plotter showed us 1/2 mile inland even though the radar, and the fact that we were still afloat and doing 8 knots, indicated that we were in the channel. I've heard that some Polynesian charts are further out than that.
Cheers !
Old 02-06-2014, 14:05   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
We suggest getting filters on your fresh water system. Ideally a filter online on the water system and another that's portable and connected to a section of hose, so that you can filter water as you tank up.

On Yofy we designated a locker under a bench in the salon for our fresh veggies and fruit. Manny put two vents on the locker and we can keep fresh food there for 1 week without spoilage in over 100F weather. Also don't know about your boats design, but if you have a full keel you should be able to use a section of bilge under the floorboards for storing bottled or canned drinks. They will stay quite cool there.
Thanks for that..

I have a spare water filter as I got hold a pair when I was looking for one for the galley tap, and filtering the water into the tanks is definitely a good idea.

We have a locker under the bench that we call the fridge, in these latitudes it actually is often at fridge temperatures. I guess I could move the beer to the bilge and give it up for fresh fruit and veggies.. that could be a win win as the beer will be cooler against the hull anyway

Thanks also for your awning pics, we plan on making roll up or zip off sides one way or anther. I had thought about making some patches for ad-hoc shades too, but was thinking about making triangles as I feel they would be easier to tension.

Oh and I had forgotten that you get winds between 0 and 25 knots... that reminds me to go and dig the big sails out of the garage..... and there is that big colourful one too.... spiny thingy isn't it

Chris
Old 03-06-2014, 05:15   #42

Quote:
After 8 years in Antarctica and sub Antarctic cruising I'm ready for some heat again
Oh your due some sunshine We on the other hand are ready for a more moderate climate.
Old 03-06-2014, 14:31   #43

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia

You may want to take a look at Lin & Larry Pardey`s latest video, Cost Control While You Cruise. It has a lot of tips that apply to sailing in the tropics. There's an especially good section on light air sails that can mean the difference between sailing or having to turn on that hot iron genoa.
Old 03-06-2014, 14:46   #44

Mosquito netting. We had a screen over the main hatch and another over the sleeping area.
Old 03-06-2014, 14:57   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSailingChannel.TV View Post
You may want to take a look at Lin & Larry Pardey`s latest video, Cost Control While You Cruise. It has a lot of tips that apply to sailing in the tropics. There's an especially good section on light air sails that can mean the difference between sailing or having to turn on that hot iron genoa.
Bit of shameless plug that wasn't it!

I don't have the bandwidth to watch videos. I've never seen one of the Pardy's videos and they may be good. I've read several of their books but I don't buy entirely into the Pardy way.

The sails I have are the sails that I have. New main, well I've only put a thousand miles or so on it, same for a couple of working jibs. Storm jib, two big jibs that I haven't used and a spin . I have a sloop and the big Genny is 150% or so reckon I'm good to go. I only get to sail the "trades" on deliveries/re-positioning trips really.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, sail, sailing