Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2018, 20:55   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Top Items on board

This is not just aimed at live aboards - but anyone:

Q: What is the top item you have on board that makes your boat a home away from home?

This could be anything from cushions, ambiance lighting, memory foam squabs, boat PC, duvet or stereo etc etc etc.

So what is it?

Al
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 14:17   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Top Items on board

Coffee grinder to grind beans fresh for morning coffee for Jim, I would say is very high on the list of priorities. Had a manual grinder, which copped a wave one time, and rusted up; now have an electric one. I'm a tea drinker, but Jim really appreciates his morning cups of coffee.

For me, the most ridiculous (because it's inappropriate to a salt water environment), but very dear to my heart, one is my fat down pillow. Definitely doesn't belong on a boat, but here it is, anyway, and it comforts my body on passages.

Ann
Old 22-03-2018, 14:32   #3

1. My stereo. Bluetooth with AUX input to watch movies and listen in stereo. My music isn't "appreciated" at home, so the only time I get to listen to it is on the boat or when I'm alone in the car.

2. Tools. Every once in awhile there's a post here that asks "What tools do I need?" and folks are fulsome in their description of tools that are necessary. There's almost always a response that goes, "You only need the tools for the nuts that you have onboard --- save space and weight, get rid of box end wrenches that don't match any nuts you have on your boat." I do not have any 7/8" nuts on my boat, but just the other day I used it as a snipe to get extra leverage on a box end wrench I was using with a nut splitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180318_160211 (Medium).jpg
Views:	493
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	166822  
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 14:41   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Books, magazines.
Comforting to always have something to read.
(No TV or VCR allowed on my boats)
Old 22-03-2018, 15:21   #5

Boat: J/42

Top? Oh, I know, the Windex! Or... the VHF antenna? Dunno... books and music go everywhere with me now, thanks to iThings. I suppose the official transfer of the flag occurs when the laptop comes on board.

But I have been collecting a few pieces of art to keep on the boat, or at least of a size and theme that could be transferred to the boat if/when I downsize. I haven't actually installed any of them yet, because 1. It's still sort of a (perpetual) construction zone and 2. I haven't figured out a concealed mounting system that seems robust enough. I suppose there's always velcro...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:11   #6

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Top? Oh, I know, the Windex! Or... the VHF antenna? Dunno... books and music go everywhere with me now, thanks to iThings. I suppose the official transfer of the flag occurs when the laptop comes on board.

But I have been collecting a few pieces of art to keep on the boat, or at least of a size and theme that could be transferred to the boat if/when I downsize. I haven't actually installed any of them yet, because 1. It's still sort of a (perpetual) construction zone and 2. I haven't figured out a concealed mounting system that seems robust enough. I suppose there's always velcro...

3M Command Strips for concealed mounting.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 20:06   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I haven't figured out a concealed mounting system that seems robust enough. I suppose there's always velcro...
Look up Museum Putty, great stuff!
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:06   #8

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

My wife would say, "Cats"!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:50   #9

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Hands down, our Cubic Mini wood-fired heater. It transforms an otherwise dank boat into a cozy warm, home away from home.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:58   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Hands down, our Cubic Mini wood-fired heater. It transforms an otherwise dank boat into a cozy warm, home away from home.
I’ve been considering one for our boat. Looks great. Wood storage is my only concern. How do you manage?

Hard to say what our “top items” are. From a sailing/boat operating perspective the new self-tailing winches are a big improvement. The other is our composting head, which gives us total freedom to roam without worry about tankage or crapping up an anchorage.

I really love our manual windlass. As never let me down, and there’s something perversly pleasurable about hauling up anchor in the morning mist with one hand on the handle and the other sipping my second coffee.
Old 23-03-2018, 10:13   #11

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

@ Mike OReilly, we burn presto logs while at the dock and can easily store two weeks worth aboard our 48' ketch. We burn on average two logs a day and it never goes out while we're aboard. When cruising BC and Alaska in our summer months we carry a very small chainsaw and cut short rounds from drift wood. The Cubic Mini has revolutionized our lives and we would recommend it to anyone. We have had a number of wood fired heaters but the Mini has proved exceedingly wonderful in its ability to be truely shut down when appropriate. It is very controllable and adds to our winter boat enjoyment beyond measure.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 10:26   #12

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
@ Mike OReilly, we burn presto logs while at the dock and can easily store two weeks worth aboard our 48' ketch. We burn on average two logs a day and it never goes out while we're aboard. When cruising BC and Alaska in our summer months we carry a very small chainsaw and cut short rounds from drift wood. The Cubic Mini has revolutionized our lives and we would recommend it to anyone. We have had a number of wood fired heaters but the Mini has proved exceedingly wonderful in its ability to be truely shut down when appropriate. It is very controllable and adds to our winter boat enjoyment beyond measure.
My wife just read a book, "26 Feet to the Charlottes" (Haida Gwaii) where the sailors rigged up a fish smoker with the output from the woodburner in their cabin! Sounded like a great 2 for 1 deal.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 10:29   #13

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

Without a doubt, the most talked about item on my boat is the stereo with the iPod input that shuffles songs randomly. With a wireless remote, a 1000 watt amp, and 8 sets or speakers to "share the wealth", everyone on board clearly has an opinion. It is so cool to watch the running lights dim during a mid night sail as the tunes are cranked up !!!
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 10:33   #14

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Having lived on board in the PNW and Alaska the last 2 winters, the thing we have appreciated most, hands down, is the robust Webasto diesel heater.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:23   #15

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

The Mesopotamians for discovering the myriad miracles of yeast - ergo:

Fresh baked bread, pizza, beer, rum, etc.. The bread also makes an excellent gift to one's fellows when the invitation for cocktails flag goes up.

Good plumbing being the one essential ingredient of civilized life (thanks to the Romans for figuring this out 2,500 years ago) - ergo:

Water heater and hot showers.
45 gal holding tank with active aeration and charcoal vent filter

Guttengerg for inventing mass produced books - ergo:

A big pile of books - which also makes excellent trade goods.

Who needs TV?
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote