Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 00:03   #61

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Top Items on board

All the obvious ones of course: Watermaker and solar for independence; coffee grinder and a good french press; big movie drive; washing machine; wifi booster/stealer.... but these things are also just equipment. Things that make it feel like home for us are the cats (we have 3), a couple of original paintings by a friend of ours of our current city of Florence (which will be nice when we split in a year for more distant shores). Oh, and of course PROSECCO. That's tough to find outside of Italy, at least the good stuff (which is also the cheapest)

But in terms of the most useful thing on board that isn't equipment... I traveled a lot overland in my past life, and was taught to cook in every country I spent time in, which happens to include almost all of Asia, from Qatar over to Vietnam, Indonesia up to Siberia and everything in between....Most important thing, hands down, what I wouldn't sail without: SPICES.

A bilge full of spices, masalas, curry mixes, sauces, pastes, oils, ghee, tahini, miso, dried shrimp, tins of canned bean shoots and bamboo and chilies and coconut milk.... They last forever, you don't need much, are cheap if you find the right store to stock up, and can make the most hasty and frugal meal of rice or beans or lentils or chickpeas (another little bilge full) taste like manna from heaven. So yeah.... SPICES!! They also make the boat smell amazing... like a marakesh trader sweating cumin in a chinese granny's galley married to the queen of thailand coming out of an indian food coma sailing their junk brimming with Kampot pepper to Hanoi THAT'S my jam right there, ladies and gentlemen. I just made myself hungry typing it....

I do like the paintings tho. And the little black kitty in the corner is all right too
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 01:04   #62

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Hands down, our Cubic Mini wood-fired heater. It transforms an otherwise dank boat into a cozy warm, home away from home.
Now that I like the sound of. Got a pic?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 01:06   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS V CLEMENT View Post
Without a doubt, the most talked about item on my boat is the stereo with the iPod input that shuffles songs randomly. With a wireless remote, a 1000 watt amp, and 8 sets or speakers to "share the wealth", everyone on board clearly has an opinion. It is so cool to watch the running lights dim during a mid night sail as the tunes are cranked up !!!
Awsome! I am just putting new speakers in, so I know where your coming from. Are you in NOLA? What sorta boat? I am in NOLA in 2 weeks - didnt even know you guys had a Marina?
Old 26-03-2018, 01:09   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

- Three cameras around the boat allow for steering and situational awareness from the cabin (feed an E80 plotter)

SV Pizzazz
Tell us more about the cameras? Sort where they pointing? You use it for watch keeping while solo?
Old 26-03-2018, 03:53   #65

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
toddster-
Regular Velcro, even the genuine stuff, lets go in the heat. If you look for 3M's "industrial" version, that is even used on car windshields to hold up toll passes. It does NOT let go in the heat. there's no male/female variety to it, both sides are the same little "mushrooms" on the plastic.
The command strips are also great for lighter loads, clean off easily if you're not sure where something will go.
Great info........ have just ordered some from Amazon
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 05:04   #66

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

HOME la from partner, Pets, Family memories... Not gear.

But, a pot of fresh bushes, my kitchen knives and few other very personal things may help...
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 05:56   #67

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

My Wife,yes she makes it home
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:20   #68
CLOD

Boat: none

Food vacuum sealer
Old 26-03-2018, 07:50   #69

For the moving cruiser I found Davits to be indispensable. Moving to the next anchorage is easy peasy, securing the dink at night from thieves is easy peasy. No barnacles growing on the dink. No taking the dink to beach to wash off the slime and growth spending hours lifting, disassembling and storing on deck before taking off.
Of course you have to have a boat big enough to deal with davits etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 05:49   #70

Boat: Ranger 29 tug, C&C 34/36

The three most useless things for a sail boat? An umbrella, a wheel barrow, and a Naval Officer
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 06:55   #71

Boat: Liberty 458

Tools
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 08:28   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
You're obviously of a much younger generation. Why bother sailing or camping for that matter if you cannot do without the trappings of home? Electronic noise gizmos are ok if that is what keeps your simple mind happy. Just don't play it in any anchorage or marina within MY earshot or I'll be tempted to put a shot across your bow ... maybe even through it; and if you own a Cat, make that plural.

For the past 50 plus years, I have loved sailing for the peace and serenity of nature itself; I want only to hear wind and waves, the lap of the water against the hull and the call of the sea birds ... I extend that even to the gulls. If you want 'noise' ... stay ashore. The only music acceptable aboard boat is either a button accordion or Harmonica. Don't bother with anything else ... especially electronic noise. It's pure garbage and an irritant.
For me, as a musician, and a person who loves music, it is interesting that when cruising, music was aboard but mostly just didn't get played that much really. There are just too many other things of interest going on.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:15   #73

Boat: Al Mason 33 steel cutter

I'm with Mike O and Sojourner! the first thing I checked out on the new boat was the stove and where do my spices go. I can handle anything when I know I can offer up a good meal to those around me.
48d north is offline   Reply With Quote