Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 07:40   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Maybe not on your boat, but, on many boats these days;
Autopilot...needs electricity
Water system...electric pump
Nav system...what isn't connected to the 12 volt system?
Fuel system...electric fuel pump and fuel polisher
etc...
__________________

__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 08:13   #32
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,209
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

1/ Boat..
2/ Good rigging and sails..
3/ Good hook and all chain..
4/ Good diesel engine..
5/ Tiller/Wheel Pilot..
6/ Wind generator..
7/ Solar Panels..
8/ Fridge/cold box..
9/ Good cooker with oven..
10/ My laptop C/P/Comms..

Everything I need for safe travel and stops and the means to power cold food/drink stores and the facility to cook great food.. who needs more..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 09:15   #33
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 847
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Nav system...what isn't connected to the 12 volt system?
Fuel system...electric fuel pump and fuel polisher
etc...
Your nav system is a whole lot more than the gadgets, of which I have plenty (I am an electronics engineer)

If you use your boat and your fuel regularly you don't have to polish it.

Fuel is pumped from keel tanks to day tank by semi-rotary hand pump

Most cruising boats that I meet - I'm talking about long distance and high-latitude cruisers mostly here do not rely on electricity for any crucial system.

I acknowledge that they are there, but they should not be crucial to a voyages success or more importantly the enjoyment of the cruise.

I also acknowledge that the prime source of electricity; the batteries, and the maintenance thereof are not paid enough attention by most boat builders or owners.

Chris
__________________
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 09:44   #34
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Ya'll are missing one of the most important items to have on the boat.

A Bucket!

Its practically duct tape for boats.

Used to:
haul water to wash decks,
back up bilge pump (maybe even the primary bilge pump)
back up toilet
parts hauler (when up the stick)
seat
water dish for the cat (if your boat sits in fresh water)

and many more.

Other then that, Mikes list works.
Though I don't have a new gen anchor or windless.
__________________
sailorchic34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:20   #35
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,312
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

lets make the trip worth doing:

BEER!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:37   #36
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,387
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
lets make the trip worth doing:

BEER!
Just another food group...
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:42   #37
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,312
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Just another food group...

much more than that! all your past posts are now in question

BTW - beer is part of a system because everything that it takes to keep it cold is part of BEER! I would even group food that you eat with the BEER as part of the system.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:48   #38
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ya'll are missing one of the most important items to have on the boat.

A Bucket!

Its practically duct tape for boats.

Used to:
haul water to wash decks,
back up bilge pump (maybe even the primary bilge pump)
back up toilet
parts hauler (when up the stick)
seat
water dish for the cat (if your boat sits in fresh water)

and many more.

Other then that, Mikes list works.
Though I don't have a new gen anchor or windless.
This was new to me when my wife noticed it. What a perfect solution to a boat we thought.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head...0100/202017218



Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 12:00   #39
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,387
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
much more than that! all your past posts are now in question

BTW - beer is part of a system because everything that it takes to keep it cold is part of BEER! I would even group food that you eat with the BEER as part of the system.
Astute analysis. Well done.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 15:32   #40
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
.................. Most cruising boats that I meet - I'm talking about long distance and high-latitude cruisers mostly here do not rely on electricity for any crucial system. ............
Chris
This explains a lot! I remember your earlier post when you said that a good heater was essential because it gets cold out there.

Were we choose to be it sometimes cools off. So much on these lists depends on what you cruise, where you cruise and how you cruise. We are "cockpit potatoes" cruising coastal in the best of weather. We may cruise straight out for many months at a time, but rarely over 80 mile hops per day. There are educational signs posted where we often cruise that describe the behavior of manatees. These say:

"Manatees are gentle and slow moving animals. Most of their time is spent eating, resting and traveling. ...... West Indian manatees have no natural enemies and they are harmless to other animals."

Our cruising friends and occasional crew have read these signs and exclaimed that they are just like us!

Our essential list would be different from many others. I do like that beer addition!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 17:32   #41
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 847
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
This explains a lot! I remember your earlier post when you said that a good heater was essential because it gets cold out there.
Yea, I have no idea why anybody would want a fridge Actually I'm about to write a post asking for advice on OPs top ten tropical must haves as I have few miles in tropical conditions.

Manatees are cool creatures, nice to be likened to them
__________________
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 21:06   #42
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Yea, I have no idea why anybody would want a fridge Actually I'm about to write a post asking for advice on OPs top ten tropical must haves as I have few miles in tropical conditions.

Manatees are cool creatures, nice to be likened to them
Yeah, thanks, but they also resemble 500 pound baked potatoes. 'theres always the other view!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 10:30   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Thailand
Posts: 215
Images: 3
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

An ax or demolition crowbar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it!
captainbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 11:49   #44
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
SNIP

So much on these lists depends on what you cruise, where you cruise and how you cruise. We are "cockpit potatoes" cruising coastal in the best of weather. We may cruise straight out for many months at a time, but rarely over 80 mile hops per day. There are educational signs posted where we often cruise that describe the behavior of manatees. These say:

"Manatees are gentle and slow moving animals. Most of their time is spent eating, resting and traveling. ...... West Indian manatees have no natural enemies and they are harmless to other animals."

Our cruising friends and occasional crew have read these signs and exclaimed that they are just like us!

Our essential list would be different from many others. I do like that beer addition!
Not just where you cruise, but how you cruise. I can sail from Key Largo to Bimini easily in daylight in the right weather window. Another daylight sail, admittedly only in the right weather window to the North Berrys, and after that it is all short day sails to Georgetown or the Abacos. But I have a good friend who leaves Boot Key and goes directly to Morgans; in my mind a much more taxing trip.

Same goes for once you get there. Some folks skin dive every day the weather permits till they are ready to drop (I admit guilty as charged). But I have met cruisers who never go in the water and would be in a fix if a rope got tangled in the prop. So just how many masks, snorkels, fins, and weight belts do you need. Not to mention a net and tickle stick, or pole spear. Same goes for fishing gear. I like to use Cuban yoyos, but some people have insanely expensive deep sea rods and reels while others never fish. Another friend of mine makes his kids use the sailing dinghy to go places and never lets them use the outboard powered dinghy; of course this means two dinghys.

Assuming a sound boat and rig the biggest gripe I have is about the folks who don't have good ground tackle, or if they do don't know how to use it.

And do have something like an Engel in the cockpit for the kids (and big kids like me) to open every time we want a cold drink so the big fridge only gets opened once or twice a day.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 17:12   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Top 10: Equipment for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
SNIP----------------------
Assuming a sound boat and rig the biggest gripe I have is about the folks who don't have good ground tackle, or if they do don't know how to use it.

And do have something like an Engel in the cockpit for the kids (and big kids like me) to open every time we want a cold drink so the big fridge only gets opened once or twice a day.
Some here (not me) would consider two fridges excessive for a singlehander cruising.
__________________

__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, equipment, men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lap top vs desk top Ativa Construction, Maintenance & Refit 51 27-12-2014 07:58
Cruising Equipment AH+2 Regulator capt.wayne Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 15 15-07-2013 10:58
Top Five Threats? Top Ten? Feral Cement Health, Safety & Related Gear 60 17-02-2013 17:49
what is you favourite piece of equipment for solo cruising? viking69 General Sailing Forum 16 19-10-2006 13:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.