Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2014, 05:46   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Tools

The house is for sale and the vast majority (i.e. everything my ex isn't taking with her) is going to auction. Almost. As I contemplate what I'm taking to my new, 400 square foot home, the subject of tools comes to mind. Coming from an older 4000 square foot home, I've got a lot of them. What should I keep and bring aboard given the limited space and storage? What's a good basic set of tools that won't send me to the big box to replace things I already have?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 22-08-2014, 05:53   #2

Re: Tools

I can't find it, but I think there is an extensive tread on that. One of the search masters will probably weight in with a link to it. It won't matter though as soon as you get rid of it you will need it! I would tell you which scientific principle that it is but I just finally got rid of my high school science book... Dangit!

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 22-08-2014, 05:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I can't find it, but I think there is an extensive tread on that. One of the search masters will probably weight in with a link to it. It won't matter though as soon as you get rid of it you will need it! I would tell you which scientific principle that it is but I just finally got rid of my high school science book... Dangit!

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Yeah, I assumed there was a thread for this but I couldn't find it either. And yes I'm sure there's a scientific principal for that, too, but I have a liberal arts degree, so unless that principal is a Trivial Pursuit question I'm stumped as well.

Old 22-08-2014, 06:22   #4
senior windbag

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Can one have too many tools? I love tools...
Old 22-08-2014, 06:32   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Perry 47 - Second Star

I Need a List of Tools

Advice Needed on Tools for Boats
MadSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 06:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSailors View Post

Thanks, MadSailors, I'll head there now!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52   #7

Multifunction hair clip, cuts Sta-Set, peel oranges, drives screws!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:56   #8

Boat: C&C Newport 41

If you cant store it, get rid of it.

I have 4 bags I keep on board; Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Glass.

The electrical bag has my wire and crimping tools, soldering iron & solder, test gauge, connectors and tape, my spare breakers and switches outlets and and LEDs and wires spools AND a set of screw drivers and wrenches and a good knife.

The mechanical bag has all my hand tools plus engine specialty tools, duct tape, gaffers tape and nuts and bolts (in baby food jars) and zip times and grease and hand saws AND gloves (latex and leather).

The Plumbing bag has my pex tool and cutters a torch, flux and solder, pipe cutters, torch gloves, fitting and unions (copper and pex) and A&B epoxy PLUS a full set of screw drivers.

The Glass bag has scissors and knives and lots of 1" brushes and LOTS of gloves and A&B epoxy and a yard of 3 or 4 different weight cloth and 5200 and full set of screw drivers and lots of sand paper.

The goal is to be able to grab a bag and get to work with everything i need for whatever the specific task is. If I am working and find that something I need isnt in the bag, I shop and add it to the bag for the next time.

I also have a cordless drill with 5 batteries and a Fien multi-tool with 10 of every blade.

The 'shore tools' include grinders and sawzalls and circular saws and a a compressor and a hole saw and a bunch of air tools for the major refit projects.

Your spares will take up as much room as your tools so keep that in mind when deciding what tools you keep on board.

-steve
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Besides the obvious tools, be sure you have two large wrenches for your packing nuts. These are quite large (not remembering the size). I remember going to Sears, Home Depot, etc. and could not find appropriate open end wrenches or crescent wrenches that would work.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
The house is for sale and the vast majority (i.e. everything my ex isn't taking with her) is going to auction. Almost. As I contemplate what I'm taking to my new, 400 square foot home, the subject of tools comes to mind. Coming from an older 4000 square foot home, I've got a lot of them. What should I keep and bring aboard given the limited space and storage? What's a good basic set of tools that won't send me to the big box to replace things I already have?
JT, I forget from your earlier posts what your sailing background has been, but IIRC you have purchased a Hunter 40. Congratulations, again!

If you were a sailor before, you'd know. If so, you most likely wouldn't be asking.

But we have NO idea what tools you have. I've had houses for 35 years, and sometimes, in fact most of the time, I have MORE tools on the boat than at home.

Over the years I've built up a tool supply on the boat for what I need. I am not an offshore cruiser, and don't know how to do fiberglass work, so I don't have a "glass" tool box.

But I do have an electrical box. I have a good close-able socket set toolbox. I keep "daily use" tools like screwdrivers, pliers, etc. in my nav station, very handy. A friend who has the same boat developed a tool storage set of holders near his companionway. I keep my stuffing box wrenches in the aft cabin right near the stuffing box, saves travel time.

Only YOU can determine what tasks you need or want to do, and that will determine what you take (we have no idea what you have) and what you'll "need."

Good luck, happy moving day!

There's a good tool list for coastal cruising in the JOURNAL (left pane) here: http://cblights.com/cruising/icwbahamas.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53   #11
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I keep my stuffing box wrenches in the aft cabin right near the stuffing box, saves travel time.
Not sure why I haven't thought of this before.....I usually have to dig to the bottom of my Husky tool bag every time I need these wrenches. Thanks!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:11   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A couple of thoughts, which have come in handy for me.
- When I moved aboard, I came up with the "6 month rule". Which is that if I had it onboard, & hadn't used it in 6 months, then I really didn't need it.
The only catch/caveat to this is that I lived in San Diego at the time (no winter), so now it's the "12 month rule".
- For all of your tool boxes, fastener containers etc., do yourself a favor, & get some 1" nylon webbing & Fastex buckles (either the snap closed type, or the tri-glide slider type). Then make a safety strap for each container, so that if the latch(es) built into the container manage to unhinge themselves at some point, it's not catastrophic. Knock on wood.

And good luck with the move, albeit I wish it were a bit more of a by choice thing, than a life circumstances thing. But odds are, you'll find a lot of neat new people coming into your life :-)

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:15   #13

Boat: Hurley Alacrity

I can't say what is uber-important and what is not, and talk about an alky giving up the bottle and going cold turkey- that is how I'd have to deal with paring down!

I'd probably designate a "tool locker" and start loading it up with the important things- cutting tools (drills, saws, grinders and maybe a belt sander, etc) measuring tools (micrometers up to a 50 foot roll up tape) electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and then pick through what I had left and start putting the higher priority stuff into the spare space of the locker until it was filled up. If I happened across something I now think is indespensable I have to remove something else to make room. However, you can cram a LOT of tools into a 2X2X3 foot space.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:46   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you have good quality, like SnapOn sockets, wrenches and drive handles, bring them. Jim often mentions how he regrets "saving" his best tools in Calif., and having to use lesser quality ones. So far that's over a quarter century of regret.

Make room for it if it is top of the line, and keep them for the joy of them. You may find yourself helping other guys who are less knowledgeable fix their boats, and they don't have proper tools for jobs. Depending on your adventurousness and skills, there are many jobs you've not yet done, but of which you are capable. Mechanical assistance is one way of paying back villagers for their hospitality, too.

Ann
Old 09-10-2014, 03:01   #15
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If you have good quality, like SnapOn sockets, wrenches and drive handles, bring them. Jim often mentions how he regrets "saving" his best tools in Calif., and having to use lesser quality ones. So far that's over a quarter century of regret.

Make room for it if it is top of the line, and keep them for the joy of them. You may find yourself helping other guys who are less knowledgeable fix their boats, and they don't have proper tools for jobs. Depending on your adventurousness and skills, there are many jobs you've not yet done, but of which you are capable. Mechanical assistance is one way of paying back villagers for their hospitality, too.

Ann
Yes, +1.

FWIW, I have found the better quality tools do not deteriorate any near as fast as poorer quality ones while on-board.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: