Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 09:36   #226

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleyPLam View Post
I would like to more information about sailing where and when the best time to start? what are the things I need to be aware? what the best advise you can give to the beginner?
Hi, and welcome to CF. You have come to the right place on opinions of when to start and what to do re sailing. Firstly IMHO it is never too early nor too late to start. Give us some indication of age and where you are and I am sure you will get loads of advice. But whatever transpires on this forum go to your local yacht club or the nearest sailing school and talk to them. Go start.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41   #227

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Let me know how the business enviroment is in ND(Willeston)..might need to work a few months before I can leave...(IRS)..oh well..good luck and safe travels...DVC
From what I understand if you know anything about shale oil you can name your salary in Minot. My daughter says they have problems getting hotel rooms because of all the oil workers.

I am on my way! I am having lunch today in Pocatello, ID. - Minot tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2011, 22:14   #228

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
From what I understand if you know anything about shale oil you can name your salary in Minot. My daughter says they have problems getting hotel rooms because of all the oil workers.
As I drove to Minot I went through Watford City at the center of the oil boom in North Dakota. You would not believe it, it looked like what I read about Texas in the '20's. It was a mad house. I must have arrived right at shift change, there were trucks backed up for miles at one intersection, pick-ups to semi's. Gas stations all had lines of trucks waiting for gas, over ten stations all full.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:27   #229

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you can find a good job there you just might fairly quickly be able to get one of those nice sleek catamarans with all the bells and whistles along with a nest egg to cruise "in style." Good Luck.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:16   #230
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, IsleyPLam.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34   #231
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Let's put "too late" into perspective. A guy up the road died in his sleep last week at 18 years of age. He was too late.

Well, I disagree with that. At age 18 it's HIGHLY unusual to die in your sleep.

But by the time you're my age, 66 and with a history of breast cancer, I'd be an idiot to dawdle around. I could have a stroke tomorrow that would take me off the water for good. It happens all the time. I have today, and I may not have all of that.

My blood pressure is down, and I have muscle definition I haven't had in my arms since I was ten. I have mild cerebral palsy that affects my legs only, but they have become stronger (they will never be "normal" but I'm much closer to the maximum of what they can do than I was ten years ago).

I just went to NYC and walked all over the place with no problem. It used to be that when I would go I had to be so careful not to over-use my legs (they stiffen up the next day if I do). It wasn't an issue this time.

I have probably extended my life by taking up sailing. My legs aren't a problem on the right boat because I can compensate for my legs with my upper body (hence, partly, the muscle definition in my arms).

None of us are going to get out of this life alive. We may not do everything we wanted to do (that might take becoming extremely selfish, not to mention financially foolish), but when one sees something that just grabs them and won't let go, and they've turned the corner on 60, they should try to find a way to embrace that thing.

For me, that thing was sailing. I really don't know how many days are left to me, but every one of those days I spend on my boat, or especially, on the water, is one day well used.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:38   #232
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
To buy a boat and sail alone into the sunset... YES..
To crew on others boats and have some great adventures and make new friends all over the World... NO

You can buy a boat and sail into the sunset at any age. Only the person involved can decide what the risk is for him or her. For some, the risk of NOT doing that would outweigh any other risks someone else could think up for them.

I have a sister who thinks I shouldn't have taken up sailing, shouldn't have bought a boat, shouldn't have moved on it, and should never sail by myself.

But guess how much she knows about sailing. Guess how much she likes to tell her little sister run her life.

A person doesn't have to be a blood relative to act like that.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:04   #233
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Hi, I have had the dream for many years and for one reason or another I could never get away. I'm now 60 (can't believe I said that) and retired with a budget. I have boating and some basic sailing experienced and my GF says she hasn't been on a boat for 40 years but is interested in sailing away.

A concern I have is age and starting out. I have a lower back problem but I'm still strong and a little short of breath. She has had a new hip installed and she doesn't really keepupwith me, but she can go slow all day...LOL

So, we aren't in great shape(thinking that getting off the couch might help that) but I know that being out can be stressful and taxing physically.
So what's the advice? What's the learning curve to happiness on the water in a small boat (30' or under....probably)? I'd rather motor more than I sail, but would like to sail.
Raku..
I reckon that with the above health sailing into the sunset on a small boat is highly unlikely... unless their suicidal or machoists..
Local day sailing/w.ends motoring up and down the ICW and sheltered waters in their own boat and further afield on others... bigger and with able-bodied crew...
I'd not want either of these people going on the fore deck/mast in anything over a F4 to deal with something...
I'm all for 'Wrinkly Power'... but lets get real...
Accept your limits then adapt...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23   #234
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well, I disagree with that. At age 18 it's HIGHLY unusual to die in your sleep.

But by the time you're my age, 66 and with a history of breast cancer, I'd be an idiot to dawdle around. I could have a stroke tomorrow that would take me off the water for good. It happens all the time. I have today, and I may not have all of that.

My blood pressure is down, and I have muscle definition I haven't had in my arms since I was ten. I have mild cerebral palsy that affects my legs only, but they have become stronger (they will never be "normal" but I'm much closer to the maximum of what they can do than I was ten years ago).

I just went to NYC and walked all over the place with no problem. It used to be that when I would go I had to be so careful not to over-use my legs (they stiffen up the next day if I do). It wasn't an issue this time.

I have probably extended my life by taking up sailing. My legs aren't a problem on the right boat because I can compensate for my legs with my upper body (hence, partly, the muscle definition in my arms).

None of us are going to get out of this life alive. We may not do everything we wanted to do (that might take becoming extremely selfish, not to mention financially foolish), but when one sees something that just grabs them and won't let go, and they've turned the corner on 60, they should try to find a way to embrace that thing.

For me, that thing was sailing. I really don't know how many days are left to me, but every one of those days I spend on my boat, or especially, on the water, is one day well used.
Good luck and long life to ya young lady..glad that you found something that makes you happy..Daryl
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 18:29   #235

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

Just do it. Have fun be happie.
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 18:57   #236

Boat: non now

you're just a kid.i'm 73 with 2 steel knees.i'm heading north to cal in the spring to take sailing lessons then buy a small boat then home to baja sur.just do it.
scorpio49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 11:56   #237
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My wife and I just received our Medicare cards and it has been our goal to develop our boat into a true geriatric friendly vessel as we continue to age. I moved aboard in my mid twenties and these are the things that have been most important for me to adapt to remaining on my vessel with coastal cruising from Maine to the Bahamas. 1) Planning and wise choices
2) Auto pilot
3) Anchor Windlass (I still prefer manual)
4) Roller Furling (as well as my split rig smaller sails)
5) Jackline and dual teather (without a length that allows an overboard outcome)
6) Lifting Mechanism (for dinghy and outboard)
Note: The number one on this list has more value than the sum of all the others!
Old 19-11-2011, 19:18   #238

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I did it about 10 years ago, took a boat I picked up and went south and ran aground so many times. I'm a good navigator, I always find land. I had a good bank account, but it's like a magnet and soon I was out of money. I went back to work and I thought I would work a couple of years and go sailing again. 10 years. But now I can go anywhere in the world I want to go. It sounds like you have a general idea, but have too many options and can't make a decision.

I think of a boat as an escape vehicle. You don't have to go, but it's there if necessary.

If you don't go, nothing will change. You can go through another year of planning and considering what to do. Going is easy, just go. Even a month or two on the water will make a big difference.

I've got the same problem, worrying about all the details, trying to get everything just right, and chickening out when it's time to cut the lines. Sooner or later the idea starts to form in your head, what am I spending all this time worrying about?, you've got to make a move or you'll end up never going anywhere.

When you do get out it is great. Not like dirt bikin' or camping. You're out on the water. You start looking at the land. It is an obstacle. You start looking for sea room. The sea becomes friendly and then you find out about it. It is enticing. It can change and become threatening. It becomes a destination. All things end up in the sea. There is no port more rewarding than being at sea. If you sail on a long voyage, you become focused on the destination port. You can smell it and approach it and then you are there. But it may take a couple of weeks or a couple of months and you're out of there. Out to sea. What about the next port? After a while the sea and the boat become the focus.

I hope you do get to make your trip. It seems landlocked. Not a bad voyage though. If you can find "The Voyage of the Paper Canoe", which is available online, you will have a good idea about part of the "Loop".
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:39   #239

Your only as old as you think you are. 59 Male, Currently recovering from fatal car accident where wife died and I had 10% chance. Four months in hospital with broken back, neck, ribs, sternum. Internal organs mashed and some brain damage. So not that fit really BUT I'm fit enough to sail my forty foot yacht around the Med and plan to sail it from Valencia Spain back to UK just as soon as the weather improves. I have taken it out on my own, only problem is berthing on your own. Will have two crew for trip back to UK. I will be taking my fair share of the duties.
I don't feel nearly sixty and my brain although battered is going well. I managed to pass the RYA ICC and Radio certificate first time. My instructer thought I was good enough and thats good enough for me.
Happy sailing whatever age or medical conditions you have. It's good therapy.
alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 22:12   #240

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Your only as old as you think you are. 59 Male, Currently recovering from fatal car accident where wife died and I had 10% chance. Four months in hospital with broken back, neck, ribs, sternum. Internal organs mashed and some brain damage. So not that fit really BUT I'm fit enough to sail my forty foot yacht around the Med and plan to sail it from Valencia Spain back to UK just as soon as the weather improves. I have taken it out on my own, only problem is berthing on your own. Will have two crew for trip back to UK. I will be taking my fair share of the duties.
I don't feel nearly sixty and my brain although battered is going well. I managed to pass the RYA ICC and Radio certificate first time. My instructer thought I was good enough and thats good enough for me.
Happy sailing whatever age or medical conditions you have. It's good therapy.
Welcome to the Forum.
You've had a rough patch. Hope it only gets better.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote