Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 23:49   #211

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
Re: Too Late To Start ?

It may not have been too late 7 months ago when this thread began, but now I'm not so sure. Time to decide and get out on the water, it's later than you think. I know this because I'm right behind you.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:15   #212

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Let's put "too late" into perspective. A guy up the road died in his sleep last week at 18 years of age. He was too late.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15   #213

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

North Dakota is one of a dozen States with surpluses and low unemployment - a good place to live and work (if a bit chilly). See: Amid Deficit Gloom, Some States Maintain Healthy Surpluses
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27   #214

IMO, health is an issue for anyone regardless of age. While any day you're above ground is better than the alternative, striking out can easily shorten those days above ground (or the sea). It depends on what health issues one may have.

Wow, seven months ago this thread was started.......how time flies! I never meant to take off this year, but frankly there has not been much progress on those things to do to cut the land lines. I'll get after it...

I saw a and 80s Mainship for about 15K, I can't build a similar boat for that and doubt I would ever sell it, so the financial risk is rather low with something like that.

I've been bothering people at a boat design forum for awhile too, (lol) and I'm kinda back on the kick of building a shanty landing craft. Pretty simple boat, flat bottom, small out board. I know it would not be smiled upon at many marinas but it could get in the shallows, cruise cheaply and yes, carry the motorcycle. I'd have to name it "Wavewacker".....LOL But it would never make it down to see Zeehag, she'd have to come up here and bring those great fish to fry.

It's also the lifestyle one is willing to accept, being on the hook sounds great but I bet it would get boring. But then, I'm also considering the political environment in the USA, I may really need to leave and that would mean a landing craft wouldn't be the best choice!

Sorry to hear about the kid who passed, many of the kids I went to school with are also gone, which is certainly an incentive to get out there, at my age I could have left this world years ago, but I decided to hang around and make the whole world suffer.

Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:33   #215
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Too Late To Start ?

To buy a boat and sail alone into the sunset... YES..
To crew on others boats and have some great adventures and make new friends all over the World... NO

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:34   #216
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

a fella in my high school homeroom was blown away not even yet in 'nam before age 18. so ---take every day as it comes and make your life an adventure meant to be lived-- donot waste time screwing around if you have an opportunity, grab it--LIVE, whatever ye do.
life is what YOU make it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36   #217
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
take every day as it comes and make your life an adventure meant to be lived-- donot waste time screwing around if you have an opportunity, grab it--LIVE, whatever ye do.
+1....+1....+1

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 23:00   #218

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
a fella in my high school homeroom was blown away not even yet in 'nam before age 18. so ---take every day as it comes and make your life an adventure meant to be lived-- donot waste time screwing around if you have an opportunity, grab it--LIVE, whatever ye do.

With much of the advice I've seen for people looking to buy a boat, I've been thinking of different possibilities. I've heard advice from, start small and work your way up, to, get the biggest boat you can afford and everything in between. I've been thinking of someday sailing around the world. I've had my eye on boats from 30' to 38'.

I've been leaning more towards doing a Bumfuzzle move and just get a big one and go for it while I still can. A lot of people think I'm crazy and I already have a couple people trying to talk me out of buying a boat altogether.

Then again, if I listened to what everyone else told me, I probably would not have been in the military and I've already been in 14years. Funny how things work out sometimes.

This should will be fun!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30   #219
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
This should will be fun!
Much of the boat thing is about making own decisions (including accepting compromises) - which you then get to live with

I lean towards the start small end of learning to sail / about owning a boat, (mostly for financial reasons, especially if not yet certain that the boat thing is for you - for some, being cold, wet, hungry and sometimes scared is not all it's cracked up to be ).

But that small boat approach is time dependent. If you don't have a few years spare before setting off on the "big" voyage then IMO better off buying the boat you want (or think you want ) from the getgo........and if you drop a b#llock on the boat choice (size / condition), well, you get to live with that
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:18   #220

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage

I am one of the lucky ones. Mostly I have spent my life doing what I like to do. But for the most part, I like doing most anything that most people call work. I recall a party at a not real close friends house and one of the ladies plugs the only stool in the house. The plumbers helper failed to unplug. Long story short guess who tore the thing apart, and had to run 15 miles home, get a shower and change clothes to join the party. Turned out to be a great night and my lady rewarded me for a long long while for saving the party. I think the main thing is to have as good a time as you can along the way. That is my secret for me. But I know a lot of people who would go nuts in my shoes. So follow your own dream.
Cheers
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:23   #221

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
. . . I've been leaning more towards doing a Bumfuzzle move and just get a big one and go for it while I still can. A lot of people think I'm crazy and I already have a couple people trying to talk me out of buying a boat altogether. . .
To add to David_Old_Jersey's excellent summation - big or small is really just a matter of the time you have left and the financial resources available.

- - Obviously, a large boat is going to cost more both to purchase and to operate. I know many folks who started with a larger boat - mid 40's ft right from the get-go and have done quite fine.

- - They operate more conservatively than the folks with more years of experience, but heck, the idea of cruising is to have fun and adventure, not go out and try to see how fast you can destroy yourself/boat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:59   #222

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
With much of the advice I've seen for people looking to buy a boat, I've been thinking of different possibilities. I've heard advice from, start small and work your way up, to, get the biggest boat you can afford and everything in between. I've been thinking of someday sailing around the world. I've had my eye on boats from 30' to 38'.

I've been leaning more towards doing a Bumfuzzle move and just get a big one and go for it while I still can. A lot of people think I'm crazy and I already have a couple people trying to talk me out of buying a boat altogether.

Then again, if I listened to what everyone else told me, I probably would not have been in the military and I've already been in 14years. Funny how things work out sometimes.

This should will be fun!

To go cruising doesn't mean you have to do the RTW. As we get older a few comforts are a plus and remember the 1:10 ratio.....for most cruisers, not voyagers, for ever day sailing ten are at anchor or in a marina.

Buy the boat you want....feel good on, with and if you feel the need take some lessons on a smaller boat to get to know the feel of things that are often absent when you go bigger.

But go for it and it's never too late.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:12   #223

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
- for some, being cold, wet, hungry and sometimes scared is not all it's cracked up to be

Sounds like some trips I had in Afghanistan, and I had a blast! (no pun intended)

I've been thinking of doing some long distance sailing along with coastal/carribean sailing. Partly as a way to de-stress from current employment. I'm thinking to take at least a year off when I retire. Then, I can see which way to go in life. What ever work I do next, it'll definatly be something completely different.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:06   #224
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Sounds like some trips I had in Afghanistan, and I had a blast! (no pun intended)

I've been thinking of doing some long distance sailing along with coastal/carribean sailing. Partly as a way to de-stress from current employment. I'm thinking to take at least a year off when I retire. Then, I can see which way to go in life. What ever work I do next, it'll definatly be something completely different.
Good luck to ya Dan 78...thanks for being a real hero unlike basketball players and rappers...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22   #225

I would like to more information about sailing where and when the best time to start? what are the things I need to be aware? what the best advise you can give to the beginner?
IsleyPLam is offline   Reply With Quote