Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08   #121

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Too Late To Start ?

I found that when your buying anything that shows your inner phyche (car, motorcycle, house, boat) you can put all your wishes and dreams for what it will be on paper and that paper will fly out the window when you see your perfect boat. And more than likely it will be much different than what you expected.
When I bought my motorcycle I wanted a Harley, I made the mistake of riding a Vulcan. Then I rode a Harley. I bought the Vulcan. Just fit me better. After I bought the Vulcan I made the mistake of riding that ugly Triumph Rocket III, if I ever buy another bike, that's the one!

I know it will be the same way with the boat. I'll end up with a boat I love and another I lust after.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18   #122

I'm tearing up. Are we still talking boats????
Steezypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30   #123

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Never to old to live the dream! If your shape to more round than in, hit the gym for a few months. I find it helps me maintain my wind and weight. I quit smoking and dipping bout 6 months ago, and my middle was getting to round. Go for it!
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58   #124

LOL, yes, it's about being too dang old to get strated sailing, re-establishing yourself as a nomadic sole, doing so on a budget and hauling your toys around too, all the while providing living conditions required for an older couple without suffering too much. Shouldn't be too hard to address! (LOL)

I ride a 1600 Vulcan Classic as well Don. I have a Transalp (Honda 650) dual sport and that is the bike I wanted to take on my boat. My GF just realized what bike I was talking about, she thought I meant the cruiser! It's almost 750 pounds with gear and gas I think! Both bikes are about 8' long. I can have a crane/lift made as well as a rack to hold it. I'd have a cover or bag made to cover it....water tight!

One guy had a small landing craft boat design based on a pdq (barge, john boat squared bow). I'd rather see something roll off the stern, swing the motor out of the way mounted on a frame similar to the spare tire carrier on an SUV.

Enough about that part of it, I have looked at a thousand desighns and boats for sale and have not seen anything trailerable that would accomidate such abuse.

I have figured out that the displacement or my total load will be about 3,500 pounds, including water and fuel. If that's a large boat, non-trailerable, I'll have to limit my list.

Lots of houseboats fill the bill, but they are not sea worthy I hear, suitable for the gulf or great lakes, both of which I intend to do. Not too many gaff rigged houseboats either! Most have big V-8 I/Os, I'd like to get by with nothing bigger than a 25hp outboard.

Perhaps I should ask about boat requirements in another thread, being out of the subject of this one...don't know.

I know everyone is saying go now, do it, go for it, etc. and as I said, I'm pumped and I know I can, but being realistic, I'd have alot to learn and a couple years at it before feeling confident to really go off shore, but that's only to the Bahamas or similar voyage, not a crossing. North America is plenty big enough for me. But the boat has to be easily singlehanded, simple rigging and a range of at least 400 miles (lower Mississippi). And, age does play on the style, size and performance of a boat.....big difference between a 30' C&C racer and a 30' Cal or an old Columbia. (I think, lol)

Oh, and had a garage sale, got rid of alot of junk, so we are working on it!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:21   #125

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
LOL, yes, it's about being too dang old to get strated sailing, re-establishing yourself as a nomadic sole, doing so on a budget and hauling your toys around too, all the while providing living conditions required for an older couple without suffering too much. Shouldn't be too hard to address! (LOL)

Lots of houseboats fill the bill, but they are not sea worthy I hear, suitable for the gulf or great lakes, both of which I intend to do. Not too many gaff rigged houseboats either! Most have big V-8 I/Os, I'd like to get by with nothing bigger than a 25hp outboard.
After a scouting visit to several marina's on the Chesapeake Bay one Sunday I changed my mind regarding my home boat. The big change was to buy and live on a houseboat (a place for some toys) and then buy a smaller sailboat. My original plan was a larger boat 38-42 ft, probably a ketch rig, to live on and single hand up and down the East coast to visit friends.

Right now I am very close to making an offer on a houseboat that has spent it's life on the Potomac and Chesapeake. There is also another up in New Jersey and several in Florida, just in case I want to take a trip to look those over.

Making it this far in life let's me be happy to have a mind to change whenever I want.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:07   #126

Here is a tid bit on choosing a boat: Me and my son have been taking lessons on the Great Salt Lake. We also joined a sailing club that allows us to take boats out at will. We got signed off on a 19' MFG about 3 weeks ago. This boat has a stiff tiller and a furling Genoa. A few days later we got signed off on a 25' Cape Dory with a loose tiller and a standard head sail set up. I was out on the Cape Dory (solo) last weekend sailing and was caught in a surprise wind and lightening storm. Pulling the sails down proved to be quite an exciting experience and an eye-opener for what I want on my boat when I go to buy. This is what I have learned about my wants and needs on my boat:
Auto pilot and a furling genoa set up is a must. I would like to have rig that has a furling genoa and secondary set up for a standard jib sail. I love the secure feel of the the full keel and would not buy a fin keel. Not that anybody is asking but any of you looking to get into a boat I highly reccommend getting on as many boats as possible that are within the realm of what you are wanting to own. I have learned so much from just comparing these two boats. Although I prefer the Cape Dory, there are qualities on both that I appreciate. I just hope I will have the opportunity to compare boats in the 36'- 45' range, which is in the lengths that I would like to purchase.
Steezypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:30   #127

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
I ride a 1600 Vulcan Classic as well Don. I have a Transalp (Honda 650) dual sport and that is the bike I wanted to take on my boat. My GF just realized what bike I was talking about, she thought I meant the cruiser! It's almost 750 pounds with gear and gas I think! Both bikes are about 8' long. I can have a crane/lift made as well as a rack to hold it. I'd have a cover or bag made to cover it....water tight!
When I started this quest I had 3 motorcycles to get rid of, a 1600 Nomad, a 1500 Nomad (one of the accessories I could keep cause I didn't buy a Harley) and an 1100 V-Star (my wifes bike). The last one goes today. The 1500 Nomad has 111000 miles, needs paint, a windshield and has an oil leak. I am donating it to Kars-4-Kids. Selling it would not have been worth the effort, I know from the pain I had selling the other two.
Old 16-09-2011, 05:58   #128

Never too old - I'm a young 59 who has just bought a boat in the Med. Reason I bought was I had a bad car accident my wife was killed and I lay in hospital with 5% chance of pulling through. By hook or crook I did it and even with a broken back and neck, crushed legs, internal bleeding and six broken ribs I am now sailing my 40' Beneteau Oceanis around the Med. Presently in Valencia after training in Palma Mallorca. We spent three months sailing the Balearics and now have landed for the winter. Next years plans are to sail back to the UK some 1700 miles.
I had a bit of previous experience but it was a long time ago in 1969 when I joined the Royal Navy. A small fishing boat for ten years and now I have my International Certificate of Competence and am let loose on the world !!!!
My advice like many here is to get a suitable boat rigged for ease of sailing and comfort. Main things being furling sails, anchor winch, electronics and decent safety gear. I have sailed on my own and the only difficulty I have is parking it stern too in a gale which unfortunately happens most evenings here. It's good fun and you meet plenty of nice people with similar interests. Go for it I have recovered well and it's all due to my new life cruising and keeping fit at the same time.
alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 07:01   #129

Alba, glad to hear you are doing well now after such a tragic loss and that your rebirth will bring nothing but joy. You are inspiring with your plans. If I were where you are I'd do the same thing I think. All I need to do is to stay away from the American zombies that will be lurking soon after our next election, just getting away from the populace for some solitude along our riverways and the gulf area.

Got to find the right boat!
Old 16-09-2011, 07:28   #130

Boat: Hunter 420

It's never to late... I did it! I’ve looked for 2 ½ years to find the sailboat I wanted….it never happened!.... I bought a powerboat instead to live on. It was either the price or style that I couldn’t get to match so out of frustration I just bought a powerboat. I’ve been on the fence for several years but one of the members on here I think his name is MarkJ kept posting responses to members to- just go do it! I was reading some post he had responded to and thought what an ass! It’s not that easy…it’s not…but it was. Well come to find out he was right and I was the ass! He said once, “don’t let anyone tell you no, just go do it!” For all you on the fencers…lol…Listen to what MarkJ told me. Plus I didn’t want to turn 80 years old sitting on a porch somewhere thinking, why didn’t I do it when I had the chance. I’ve been a boater for 30 years so I get boats but living on one is different. I’m in my late 50’s..do yoga, exercise and eat good not in perfect health but good enough to give it a go.The adventure out ways the issues. I work from the boat so all I need is phone/intranet service. You only live once and it’s over in a blink……Most everyone told me I was crazy- now that's changed. Now I get "wow, you are really doing what you wanted to do". Thanks MarkJ whoever you are.

Anyway, I bought a 1996 Carver 440 Motor Yacht, started in Stuart six months ago but now reside in West Palm. I was amazed at all the nitpicky things you must keep up on maintenance wise. I found out early on you get to know every sound and when it doesn’t sound right the register rings!…so learn to repair as much as you can. And if and when the repairman comes- watch and take notes. Most of it isn’t rocket science but you do need to do it once to feel comfortable. Remember it's not a whole lot different than keeps a house up. As for the twin diesels well I’m not ready for that yet but the filters, oil changes, etc, I can handle. I’m close to having most everything up to par so things should settle down. Just need to keep the regular maintenance up after that. I’m early in this but love it. The best part of a live aboard to me is freedom. I can untie and be off to someplace new when I get bored.

Now here’s the real plan..I want that sailboat! So I’m on this boat for two years then I’m buying the sailboat. I have 2 1/2 years of sailboat looking so I now know what to expect and believe it will be easier to make that decision when the time comes. Then I’m off….Maybe South America maybe not! But I’m going somewhere and it won’t be coastal cruising in the good ol USA. Everyday you wait adds one more day of doubt to work through...Go for it.. Doug
Old 16-09-2011, 07:37   #131
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5055 View Post
It's never to late... I did it! I’ve looked for 2 ½ years to find the sailboat I wanted….it never happened!.... I bought a powerboat instead to live on. It was either the price or style that I couldn’t get to match so out of frustration I just bought a powerboat. I’ve been on the fence for several years but one of the members on here I think his name is MarkJ kept posting responses to members to- just go do it! I was reading some post he had responded to and thought what an ass! It’s not that easy…it’s not…but it was. Well come to find out he was right and I was the ass! He said once, “don’t let anyone tell you no, just go do it!” For all you on the fencers…lol…Listen to what MarkJ told me. Plus I didn’t want to turn 80 years old sitting on a porch somewhere thinking, why didn’t I do it when I had the chance. I’ve been a boater for 30 years so I get boats but living on one is different. I’m in my late 50’s..do yoga, exercise and eat good not in perfect health but good enough to give it a go.The adventure out ways the issues. I work from the boat so all I need is phone/intranet service. You only live once and it’s over in a blink……Most everyone told me I was crazy- now that's changed. Now I get "wow, you are really doing what you wanted to do". Thanks MarkJ whoever you are.

Anyway, I bought a 1996 Carver 440 Motor Yacht, started in Stuart six months ago but now reside in West Palm. I was amazed at all the nitpicky things you must keep up on maintenance wise. I found out early on you get to know every sound and when it doesn’t sound right the register rings!…so learn to repair as much as you can. And if and when the repairman comes- watch and take notes. Most of it isn’t rocket science but you do need to do it once to feel comfortable. Remember it's not a whole lot different than keeps a house up. As for the twin diesels well I’m not ready for that yet but the filters, oil changes, etc, I can handle. I’m close to having most everything up to par so things should settle down. Just need to keep the regular maintenance up after that. I’m early in this but love it. The best part of a live aboard to me is freedom. I can untie and be off to someplace new when I get bored.

Now here’s the real plan..I want that sailboat! So I’m on this boat for two years then I’m buying the sailboat. I have 2 1/2 years of sailboat looking so I now know what to expect and believe it will be easier to make that decision when the time comes. Then I’m off….Maybe South America maybe not! But I’m going somewhere and it won’t be coastal cruising in the good ol USA. Everyday you wait adds one more day of doubt to work through...Go for it.. Doug
The problem with sailboats is that they're ALL compromises. If you want a fast boat, you're probably also going to get a boat that is somewhat tender and a handful (as well as uncomfortable) in rough weather. You'll have less space below. That's the compromise I accepted. Since I'm in a marina, the amount of time I'm on the boat when it's so rough it's uncomfortable is diminished, although at sea she really bounces around in rough water.

The HUGE compromise is speed. Sailboats are limited to hull speed. They don't plane, no matter how big an engine you put in them. But again, back to the space, you get a lot more living space on a 35' power boat than you do on a 35' sailboat.

Sailboats require a lot of maintenance, and it's a lot more work to sail than to motor.

I've never had a trawler but I think there are fewer compromises.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:59   #132

Yes, trawlers are very cool and very expensive too, but what style boat doesn't get expensive? (Not really a question, LOL)

I know I have missed some good deals simply because I was not ready to jump in. Taking too much time shopping for the "right" boat will probably mean never getting on the water, IMO, the "right" boat does not exist as they all present some compromise. Too small, too big, trailerable or not, too much draft, not enough and so on. What can I live with seems to be the question and having never lived on a boat makes that a difficult assessment.

I'd rather not have a V berth. I put a small table and some chairs along my queen size bed for a couple days and crawled out on the foot of the bed with only three feet of space at the end. I have done other silly simulations to see what would be livable. Try washing dishes in a small pedistal sink. Prepare a meal on two feet of counter space in the kitchen.

And, considering my lazy nature in my older age, I'm thinking that sailing a larger boat (40' or so) would be waaaay too much work. A smaller, single hander would be more my speed. Then, realistically, I'd probably be more of a downwind type and want to motor in the rivers, so that means a motorsailor. Or, get two boats, pull a sailing dingy I guess.
Old 25-09-2011, 09:09   #133
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wavewhacker--a formosa/ct/seawolf 41 isnt a big boat if it has the proper auto pilot== that is the key to handling the size and heft of these-- there is no vee berth-is a pullman berth abaft the forepeak, and forepeak can be either a berth or a tool room...decks are WIDE and easily walked even in seas, with grabrails inboard for those of us with insecurities regarding deck walking at sea, and the 12'2 in beam is lovely for comfort and stability.
dont rule out something just because the size is 40 or 41 ft---is all in the autopilot and layout. oh yes--an da ketch need not be sailed with main up---is a huge sail, and i dont use it much. jib and mizzen do fine.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 08:23   #134

Auto piolt? Every electrical device I have owned has at one time or another filed me, it broke, smoked or just blinked at me. Nothing works forever, so what do you do if you are 400 miles out and that gizzmo decides it would make a better anchor than what it was designed for?

I'd love to have your boat Zeehag, and it sounds perfect for you.

I have a lake front second home I'm thinking of selling for this venture...then again, I'm thinking I should go really cheap, shanty boat style sorta and try it out as I would not be able to buy back that property! (I think the kids are expecting to get it soon...LOL)

I really like the old Carri-Craft catamaran houseboats (I prefer the small one at 45') but they are hard to find and one is on the market, but the owner is waaay toooo proud of it for my budget.

As mentioned above, it might boil down to two (or even more) boats, one for my Great Loop trip, another to stay on. All boats have compromises and no one boat will do it all, in fact, not very many things well as they are designed for specific goals. What to do???

One of my top priorities is that my boat be trailerable, this limits you to an 8 and a half foot beam. I'd also like to tow it with my Subaru Forester, but that's a dream, so I need to use my Ford F-150. I don't think I should have to buy an F-450 to pull a boat.

This leaves out most boats talked about here as liveaboard functioning cruisers.

I have considered, until yesterday...hmmm (?) of building a boat, like the Bolger Tenessee an economical, livable 32' Sharpie houseboat that can go to blue water (but not really off shore). Then I got on Ebay and saw Carvers, Egg Harbor, even a Hatteras for less than a build would cost and there is no way I could have such luxury and amenities for the dollar by building anything. There were a couple motorsailors within the budget as well. At a 10' beam, they could be towed, somewhat, with a pemit, but I'd rather not have to go there.

This kind of leads into finances. It's not the initial cost of a boat, it's the maintenance and running expenses. Sails are not free and they wear out. every engine will at some point need to be overhauled.

At my AGE, my finances were pretty well designed at my retirement at 52....yes, 52 is when I took off. I didn't realize that I'd be bored to tears and that I would actually slow down. (Not saying I'm slow now, saying I know it's happening). Do I take my investments and dumpthem for the life on the water, a rougher life physically, and put the money in a depreciating asset...a boat. I'm not lucky enough to buy a boat that would be worth more in 10 years. Then what?

The cost of living aboard needs to off set the financial losses over time and as one gets older, you're talking about financing the rest of your life.

At the lake, we have a few 40 or 50 year old houseboats, some look like travel trailers on pontoons (could well be here in the Ozarks) and while they folks living there are good folks, you can tell that they are more like displaced homeless folks and live there out of necessity. That's too bad, but they are better off than many other today. Not so much about the people, but the vessels, they can't really move them because the newer marinas will not take them in. So, I can see too that you boat needs to be rather socially acceptable for the area. I'm well aware that there is a snobery about boats, especially in larger upscaled areas and that many marinas just won't let a boat that appears to be in ill repair and condition stay very long. And I hear that the local authorities like to run off such craft in many municipal areas.

Now, I'd be happy to be gunkholing most of the time and being on the hook, I doubt I'd really like all the fuss around marinas, especially the party types. But you need to blend in I would think.

I would guess too, that there are many, about my age out there that are not multi-millionaires on 60 catamarans.

So, what is the perception of "older" pharts on a boat, especially a smaller boat...30ish footers? Does age have any preconceived notions here?
Old 28-09-2011, 08:47   #135
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wavewhacker--i am an oldish phartess on a 40 ft boat. ye can doit----- isnt that hard. if i can, you can.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote