Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 13:23   #16

Re: Too Late To Start ?

LOL! Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm not flat on my back, lol, but RT Bates kinda hit the nail on the head. It's the learning curve as well. I have seen folks in their 70s and 80s on the water, I had a neighbor at the lake who went out and he is 87! Yes, it's a 16' aluminum V fishing rig.

I have been a lake boater and in some rivers in my area. I stood on the banks of the Mississippi, the gulf and Atlantic, there will be a bit of time required to learn what the heck to do in these water...I would think. Never read a chart. I have a kayak and canoe and I/Os cuddys, etc.

Last time I sailed was about 20years ago. I can sail anything say under 30 feet, it may not be efficient or effective, but I can get the boat to move.

Those who say go for it have years of experience under their life jackets! I'm all for it and ready to for an adventure, but what's the right boat, the right rigging, the right route to take, etc.

A budget means I'm not buying a 40' cat. But just as to the living on a boat, hauling water, dump the pottie, scrub the sides and deck, I know there is work. (Reminds me of what Gilligan would say- W O R K !)

That's why I'm thinking we need to rough it some on a smaller boat.

So for those older folks, picture yourself with little experience, knowledge and on a budget (no domestic crew) and at that age.

Thank you for the encouragement (and I will plan on going and doing) I just have reservations. Maybe someone should say go take a class! LOL

I'd like to do at least the southern end of the Great Loop if not the whole thing, but not in a hurry.

Any suggestions?
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 13:30   #17

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Lets see: I'm 70. Just bought a Boat. And it is a Hardin 45. But then I've spent my entire adult life working on the Seven Seas.
Go around the marinas and see what boat catches your eye. Would you need lessons to handle it? Is it calling your name and begging for you to come and take care of her. You better invite your GF as you do so.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 13:59   #18

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Everybody has ten thousand reasons not to go. It is good to hear that you have reached the moment during which they dissolve and you just go. Fair winds, following seas.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 14:01   #19

Boasun, very good point, is it calling my name....LOL!

Deoends on the baot I guess, I'd cruise down the Mississippi right now in a 24-26 foot gas burner (including diesels), might wait a week for sailing the same after a week on the lake. It's the size and condition, maintenance required and ease of operation. Then come the cost of operations.

I feel more confident with a smaller boat, if it's too small, by GF will want a plane ticket home, so it has to be livable as well.

It's not that I don't have the guts to do it, it's about having the guts to be responsible for her too. When do you know you can take on a voyage for the first time? How much do you need to know and how do you know?

(About ten years ago, I was going to go down the Ole Muddy in a kayak and camp along the way as a fund raising stunt for a non-profit! I'm sure I could have done it then, maybe now too, not sure, but certainly not with someone else)

I don't mind the adventure of it, I jumped out of planes, but I knew what I was doing then too. I have no idea how big, swift, choppy or horrid those waters might be, just don't want to be foolish about it.
Old 04-08-2011, 14:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford sloan View Post
My wife and I are in our 70s and I have more health issues than she does. Everything on our boat is rigged for single handing in the event one of us becomes incapacitated. My rule of thumb is "when I'm too old to hoist the main or the anchor, it's time to sell the boat." You should be fine as long as you plan ahead and don't bite off more than you can chew.
"when I'm too old to hoist the main or the anchor, it's time"... to buy an electric winch!!!!
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 14:31   #21

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

We're about 5 years younger but I'm not sure that makes a whole lot of difference. Its always easy to come up with valid sounding reasons to procrastinate. I ask myself "what's the worst that could happen?" And obviously the answer is "we could get ourselves killed." But you know what? That's where we're going to end up anyway. So we're going to do everything possible to ensure that we live as long as possible but "everything" doesn't include staying at home or at the dock for that matter.

Right now my father is 85 years old living in a nursing home with advanced Parkinsons. Mother has been dead for 3 years but he still thinks she comes to visit him and every time I show up he's convinced I'm going to take him home. If he could remember that he didn't do them, I'll bet he'd wish he had done a few more things a bit sooner.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 14:52   #22

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig

At least you are of the right age, we were informed in Vero Beach we were to young to be doing this and we didn't fit in with the crowd, I think not! We are only in our 40's. I think the sailing crowd is awesome and the older we get the better we get! Go for it and have a great time sailing!
Velma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 15:13   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Trawler?

What about a trawler?

Much more room, well protected from the weather, easier to handle (some are set up with thrusters) and a much better view than a similar sailboat.

I'll admit that you would not be going as far, but that may not be your plan. There's often lots of beautiful cruising close to a home port.

I find myself looking at ones like the Marine Trader 34 and wishing they had been available in Oz. They seem to have a similar price to sailboats of the same length. The older ones all look to need some repair though.

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 15:21   #24

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38

The correct philosophy for those of us who have celebrated our 20th birthday for the third time (or more) is to "slide into home plate, screaming and spikes in the air!"
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 15:31   #25

Boat: Ocean Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
The correct philosophy for those of us who have celebrated our 20th birthday for the third time (or more) is to "slide into home plate, screaming and spikes in the air!"
YES - don't pass up the opportunity!!!!!!!!! I turned 60 this year and my wife is 55. About 3 years ago we took the classes and started chartering in the BVI and Grenadines a couple of times a year so we can learn how to be FREE. I have about 3 years until I retire, have two fake hips and am a bit overweight. I play racket ball a couple of times a week to fix the weight problem. You're right - get off the couch and go sailing. With any luck you won't get it out of your system until you're at least 85. What a glorious 25 years it will be
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 15:52   #26

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

"Cruising" has many definitions.... from a hard gale in Arctic waters to a leisurely sail down the Connecticut River.

The east coast, particularly the Intracoastal waterway, passes through many great towns and offers beautiful cruising with readily available assistance and safe waters. I have passed up and down this waterway many times and met more elderly crusiers than young cruisers. The choice of vessels is broad- from rehabbed tugboats to sailboats and trawlers.

I am 52 and my husband is 58; we are just finishing a 2 year refit and will attempt a circumnavigation, probably lasting 5-8 years. Then we plan on "settling down" and doing coastal cruising and the Bahamas when we get "old".

Just remember, life is not a dress rehearsal--- you only get to do it once!!!. I have had some great experiences during coastal cruising, so start now and start slow and safe... you will enjoy it immensely.

Last year I was in Beaufort and saw an elderly couple pull in in a Schucker sailboat; he was 94 and she was 92. Both walked with canes, slowly up the dock and helped each other on and off the boat. The sunset they saw was just a beautiful as any sailor who was hundreds of miles offshore.....

Fair winds,
Dr. Michele
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 16:08   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Read the log of Mary and Scot Flanders on Egret if you need more encouragement.

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 16:19   #28

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

My dad sailed around the world at 70, I say go for it. I think a great little trawler would be a blast. Anyways, welcome aboard and have fun whatever you do.
Erika
Old 04-08-2011, 16:25   #29

LOL, guys and gals, Okay! You win! I'll do it!

Now that you convinced me to go, you're responsible! LOL

You better teach me everything you know. I'll be on here from time to time asking dumb questions and you'll have to put up with me.

If my GF chickens out along the way, one of you might have to give her a ride home, I'm not turning back after I take off.

This is now being added to my bucket list!

I like trawlers, I like motorsailors even more or a sailboat that can carry an outboard.

So, what kind of boat?

Rivers, lakes, gulf area, keys and later further south when I get my SEAL wings....LOL
Old 04-08-2011, 16:35   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Great Loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 25-30 ft trawler, traveling the great loop is my vote.

Erika